From the Back Cover
Essential Skills--Made Easy!
Authors Michael Turner and Steve Shah deliver sound instruction and valuable information in this structured learning tool. Valuable to systems and network administrators migrating from Windows to Linux, it is also perfect for novice users. Coverage includes all areas of administering the open-source operating system such as installation, initial configuration, using the BASH command shell, managing files, managing software, and granting rights to users. Step-by-step content, easy-to-understand examples, and useful networking projects reinforce learning. Features the latest versions of Red Hat Linux and the kernel--plus, important comparisons between Linux, Windows 2000, and Windows .NET.
Designed for Easy Learning:
- Modules--Each concept is divided into logically organized modules (chapters), ideal for self-paced learning
- Critical Skills--Each module opens with the specific skills covered in the module
- Mastery Checks--End-of-module reviews test knowledge using short-answer, multiple-choice, and fill-in-the-blank questions
- Ask the Experts--Q&A sections throughout are filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- Progress Checks--Quick self-assessment sections check your progress
- Projects--Practical exercises show how to apply the critical skills learned in each module
- Blueprints--Key Linux configurations are illustrated in detail