Other Sellers on Amazon
Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute To Cole Porter
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
DVD Program Listing:
1. David ByrneDont Fence Me In
2. Neneh CherryIve Got U Under My Skin
3. Jimmy SomervilleFrom This Moment On
4. Jody WatleyAfter You, Who?
5. Salif KeitaBegin The Beguine
6. ErasureToo Darn Hot
7. Sinead OConnorYou Do Something To Me
8. The Jungle BrothersI Get A Kick Out Of You
9. The Neville BrothersIn The Still Of The Night
10. k.d. langSo In Love
11. Les Negresses VertesI Love Paris
12. Aztec CameraDo I Love You?
13. Debbie Harry & Iggy PopWell, Did You Evah!
14. Lisa StansfieldDown In The Depths
15. Kirsty MacColl & The PoguesMiss Otis Regrets / Just One Of Those Things
16. Tom WaitsIts All Right With Me
17. U2Night And Day
18. Annie LennoxEvry Time We Say Goodbye
19. Bill IrwinComedy Sketches
20. Annie LennoxEvry Time We Say Goodbye (Live on VH1 Honors)
Plus bonus remastered CD with the same tracks in a different running order
- All 18 original music videos
- Live performance of Everytime We Say Goodbye by Annie Lennox with Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter from the 1995 VH1 Honors Awards
- Comedy sketches by Bill Irwin
- Interviews with Roland Gift, Richard Gere and John Malkovich culled from the 1991 Red Hot + Blue TV special
- The original CD release of the million selling album
Top Customer Reviews
I was SO looking forward to seeing Sinead O'Connor and Annie Lennox with brilliant color and clarity--only to see it worse (and I kid you not) than the VHS quality. What's the point of putting something on DVD if it isn't any different in quality than the VHS, which can be found for a few bucks online or in any used video store? If you were to record your VHS version on to a blank DVD+R, you would have exactly what is available here. This was an important project, so I am shocked. I hope this helps save you money and especially disappointment.
A NOTE: The CD (not the DVD) is beautifully remastered and is included in this package. If you are strictly into the music (CD) and not interested in the videos (DVD), this product will be worth it for you. If you were hoping for newly remastered video clips as well, you will be considerably disappointed.
And that masticates the massive one. There are heartbreaking great videos here (the two by k.d. lang and Annie Lennox still brought a tear to my eye), but they are lost in this incomprehensible mess of a reissue. Given the massive historical importance of this project (believe it or not, this was the first ever network television show to use the word 'condom' and was a watershed moment in raising awareness of AIDS and of Ronald Reagan's incompetent handling of the crisis) and the star power invloved, why the heck didn't anyone dig for better quality?
The three stars are for merely being able to get "Red Hot and Blue" back on the market again, and the CD mastering is terrific. But please, Shout Factory, go back for a re-do! Please!
I don't think that I've seen a transfer this bad on DVD, ever. It's really THAT bad. It looks like they took a worn out VHS copy of a copy and mastered it on disc. Yeah, it's that bad.
I hated writing this review because I don't want to diminish sales for this project. But this DVD should be recalled, and some serious quality assurance should be applied to a remaster. Don't waste your money.
i found the quality excellent and liked the fact of the different styles of musicians and celebrities through the entire compilations to enhance in a blend of great interpretive songs/gems from the exceptionally talented songwriter cole porter.
the overall, i see was high in content and extras and for a good cause of course with excellent art form to boot. it's content talking about education, take precaution with history and current news on aids with people different takes with music videos. some examples were richard gere, john malkovich, debbie harry, annie lennox and others which also did brief clips with these people in between the music videos to break up the songs.
of course, the premise of this is for sales, music, help and awareness and i found the talks were not intrusive but brief and with interesting points from each person. i liked all the music videos but the ones that stood out the best to me were kd lang, sinaed o'connor, lisa stansfield, neneh cherry, annie lennox and the beautifully sung "do i love you" remix from aztec camera.
it's definately an interesting mix of sounds from various types of musical artists but i enjoyed the balance and think it was well worth the price for everything.
i would highly recommend it and found it a timeless treasure at home or on the road...
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love Cole Porter! These music videos are AWESOME...and it's all for a great cause.Published 5 months ago by S. Hooper
Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute To Cole Porter ... There's a lesson here, old DVD's in this age of up-sample digital Blu-ray players and hi-def HDTV combos have given this DVD, Red Hot... Read morePublished 10 months ago by Ronald E. Smith
This unique collection while not uniformly perfect has some incredible and unique arrangements of Cole Porter. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Barry A. Hudson
Great book, fascinating,introduced by reading Bricktop's biography.Published 18 months ago by J. D. D
I particularly like Sinead O'Connor, Annie Lennox, and K.D. Lang. There are a couple of artists that I've never liked included on the program. Read morePublished on January 30, 2014 by Patricia Needham
Cole Porter (1891-1964) was among the closeted gay artists of his era--and the idea of collecting modern versions of his work for release as an AIDS fundraiser was truly inspired. Read morePublished on December 3, 2013 by Gary F. Taylor
I rented this from Netflix. It is collection of videos and NOT a live concert w/ one bonus feature exception. This dvd was hit or miss for me. I liked only about 4 -5 songs. Read morePublished on February 12, 2012 by Johnny Apollo
I saw this program when it was originally broadcast on HBO, and I preserved a copy of it on video tape--a TDK L750 Beta tape recorded on a Sony SuperBETA Betamax in Hi-Fi stereo. Read morePublished on September 11, 2011 by Carl S.
|Topic||From this Discussion|
I have read elsewhere, and I don't see it mentioned here, that the original masters for the video have been lost. They had no choice but to take the entire presentation from a poorer VHS copy.
That is what I read, seriously. I know it seems odd that even in the 80s treasures like this weren't... Read More
Aug 31, 2015 by Derek Donnell | See all 2 posts
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Alternative Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Comedy & Spoken Word > Poetry
- CDs & Vinyl > Dance & Electronic
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Bebop
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Alternative
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Contemporary
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Dance Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Tributes
- CDs & Vinyl > R&B > Funk
- CDs & Vinyl > Special Interest
- Movies & TV > Educational
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Eurythmics
- Movies & TV > TV