Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 19, 2011
First of all I want to say, I did not read this book to help my daughter lose weight but to maintain and healthy weight and learn good nutrition. So my judgment may be different then others.

First the good. The concept is good and very appealing to kids. It is a great way to teach kids portion control. You get so many green foods a day and you can trade green foods to get yellow. You also get two red foods a week. Non sweetened fruit and veggies are unlimited. There are also some good diagrams such as hunger and fulness scale, and how to measure portion sizes.

The bad. There are a lot of green foods that are not nutritious. Example: Lucky Charms, white bread and white pasta, totino pizza rolls, candy corn, jelly beans, peeps, 100 cal packs and so on. And while I believe everything in moderation, I don't feel this is good way to teach nutrition. Also she uses a lot of Splenda. So if you have reservations about this you will want to use something else.

So over all I think there are parts of this book that I found helpful, but I wouldn't follow it to the T. I do recommend any of Tosca Reno's books. She does have a book geared towards children, The Eat-Clean Diet for Family and Kids: Simple Strategies for Lasting Health and Fitness.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2015
I have an 11 year old son who was born at 9lb 3oz and has been a big kid his whole life. However, within the last year or so his weight had gotten too high and he was starting to show signs of health problems such as High BP, joint pain, fatigue, etc. We have known for a while we needed to do something to help him, but it's not an easy task. What we needed was a plan for the whole family to follow; A life style change, not a diet. I stumbled across this book and read the reviews. Most were positive, but several were negative due to the use of artificial sweeteners and the types of food that are included. Some people criticized that sugar cereals are on the list as a green and that we should be promoting clean eating with our children. I got to thinking about these comments and realized that if we were doing clean eating, our children would not have a weight problem. If we take them from where they are now to clean eating, they will struggle and most likely rebel. This book is practical to help families where they are! It teaches kids that it's ok to eat all foods, but in moderation. It seemed like an easy to follow plan, so I ordered the book and set out on the journey.

The book arrived, I read through it, and planned the dinner recipes for the week (from recipes in the book). I bought snack items and created green light snack boxes in the pantry and refrigerator with items already measured out in the correct portions. I made charts for each member of the family and explained the plan to them. Needless to say, they were not thrilled at the idea but my son knew he needed to eat healthier so was willing to give it a try. Everyone had their first weigh in and we were on to our adventure.

My biggest fear was the portion control and that he would be hungry. Hunger drives you to make bad choices, so I was a bit worried. On the first day, he wasn't able to eat all the food he was allowed! He was not used to eating 2 snacks a day, in addition to meals. Through the entire first week, he only complained about being hungry a couple of times and he still had snack allowances so it was not a problem. The true test came at the end of the week, when it was time for weigh in. I put him on the scale and he had lost 7 lbs!!! I was thrilled for him and he was excited as well. My husband also lost 7 lbs! This plan works and it works for the whole family. If you have a child with a weight problem, you have to make a change before it's too late; and you have to make it together. I was overweight my entire childhood and into adulthood. I had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago and lost 175 lbs. It changed my life! I look at my son and don't want him to have to EVER go as far with his weight struggle as I did. You don't realize how much being overweight robs you, until you lose it and feel so different. It's not about a diet. It's about a lifestyle change; one that includes the whole family all foods in moderation.
on January 7, 2010
I think we all need a bit of a kick-start in the new year by eating right, especially with our kids! Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right is fabulous, not just for the parent of a child who is overweight, but for all parents. I can already tell you from experience this book is changing how I help my child who is struggling with weight. We were getting portion control right, but now I see our calories and fat amount was way way off.. so wonder we've hit a wall with his weight loss. I love that a Pediatrician created this program and that Dr. Dolgoff is so responsive. She is both on twitter and facebook!

No Calorie Counting, No Dieting, No Off-Limit Foods!
This is the promise of Dr. Dolgoff's food solution nutrition book. The book contains 11 chapters, with titles like:
* Coming to terms: Is your child really overweight?
* High Performance Breakfasts
* Dinner Destinations
and
* Restaurants: Be Prepared
See? Even restaurant dining is not off limits. That was one of the first things I noticed in Dr. Dolgoff's philosphy back last summer: Make healthy choices and still enjoy the foods and places you love.

Dr. Dolgoff's fabulous explanation and categorizing while 'Teaching the Rules of the Road' and how to use her system of Green Light foods (Go!) , Yellow Light foods (Slow down!) and Red Light foods (Uh Oh!) is easy to read easy to use! A simple game plan for understanding and itemizing the foods you already eat (while encouraging new healthy high fiber foods) into Green, Yellow and Red signals.

Dr. Dolgoff claims a 96 percent success rate! That's reason enough for me to get on board. Start driving the Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right express.
on August 17, 2011
The concept is great (red, yellow, and green-light foods), but many of the foods this author recommends are terrible. If you don't mind feeding your kids plenty of toxic artificial "food-stuffs," I guess this program will work for weight loss. I do not want my child drowning in "sugar-free breakfast syrup" (a green-light food... yes, you can have as much as you want), so I can't use this book. I don't want to teach her to rely on unhealthy fake foods for weight loss and maintenance.

Some of the recipes included in the book are good. But it would be hard to do the program without the saccharine and fat-free hot dogs because it is pretty calorie-restricted. 100 calories for breakfast is recommended for the weight loss phase for 10yo girls. That's not many!

Maybe someday this author will learn more about nutrition and rewrite the book to reflect better food choices. It would be great if it wasn't so focused on fat-free, sugar-free processed foods.
on May 19, 2010
My daughter has been heavy since the day she was born @ 10LB 12OZ, 8 years ago. She LOVES to eat but is starting to hate the effects of being heavy (like feeling different from other kids and not being as good at sports and such). This book not only gives me a foundation for talking with her about making changes (as opposed to me vapidly nagging and talking abstractly about making good choices), but also a simple, straightforward guide upon which she can base her good food related decisions. I think reading this book together takes a lot of the "sting" out of talking about her excess weight (and mine) and gives her tools she can use to change her eating habits for life.

She likes the book, she gets the concepts, she is making progress.
on January 24, 2010
This not just great for overweight children, adults can learn how to change the way they eat also. I have tried Weight Watchers and the Flat Belly Diet. I ended up only gaining more weight. After reading the book, I founs this is not a diet its a way of life. I have now lost 12 pounds and only have 5 more to reach the weight I was in college. I feel great about my self and don't feel like I have deprived myself of living.
on June 10, 2016
The hype seems to have died down since this book was published but I decided to give it a go anyway since there is an extreme lack of helpful information out there to help kids with diet and weight. This book is awesome. Nothing short of amazing. What is does is teach kids which foods are healthy and more filling, allows them to make choices and still eat regular kid food. Yes, kids can eat lucky charms and cookies but it teaches them moderation and portion size. My child chooses cream of wheat or eggs instead of lucky charms because he finds them more filling. He never complains about reduced calorie wheat bread because he's so excited about the amount of lunch meat he can have. If anything, this book is a wake up call for parents of overweight children because once you start following the program it is easy to see how choices you thought were healthy could have been better and for us, we discovered our portion sizes were way off. My son is losing about 2 pounds per week and enjoys more fruits, vegetables and meats than ever before and enjoys picking his snacks each day. He doesn't complain about choices or ever being hungry and at 11, I consider that amazing.
on January 6, 2010
I am very educated on nutrition for myself and my family. This book gives fantastic recommendations for healthy kids meals. The best part is that the meals are very simple and quick to make. The book offers suggestions for meals on the go and for those times when you need dinner in a hurry. Most of all these are meals my boys will actually like to eat. My boys are in Kindergarten and have enjoyed the items we've made so far. This is a quick read and a wonderful reference tool for busy moms. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
on October 27, 2015
I get really nervous about any "kids weight loss" books. We have a variety of needs in this house and I hate the books that make the heavier kid feel like crap while "punishing" the naturally slimmer children with a whole family diet.

I can't put my finger on why this book works but it does! The plan works for the entire family. I've enjoyed the prep and all of the kids have done fantastic on the recommendations. It's been an easy, simple transition to health for the whole family.
on September 27, 2013
This book really is helping our family. When my 7 year old daughter came home from school crying because some kids kept asking her if she was pregnant or just fat i scoured the web and came upon this book it has really helped up to start a plan to eat right my daughter has lost 7 lbs and is still losing i am so happy for her and i love this book!!!!!!!!!