4.0 out of 5 stars `the whole playing with your mind thing'
In the film a psychologist and paranormal investigator, played by Sigourney Weaver, and her physicist assistant, played by Cillian Murphy, investigate a famous psychic.
Published on August 9, 2012 by Susman

2.0 out of 5 stars Great actors, not a bad plot, bad execution
Published on December 8, 2012 by Jer2911

4.0 out of 5 stars `the whole playing with your mind thing', August 9, 2012
This movie attacks the tired old idea of 'is ESP real? With those who need to believe as opposed to those that see naivety at best, or a down right con at worst' with new dynamism, new concepts and explanations. Not a single shot of the movie is redundant or a 'filler' shot. There are none of the 'excessive scary movie' theatrics to keep you on edge of your seat.
It has the right narrative, with what I believe to be the right actors and the right scenes to take you where it wants to take you. There is misdirection and the odd McGuffin peppered here, and there has some clever twists in the tale.
This is a 'clever' movie, doesn't spell out everything for you, and makes you want to watch it carefully so as to not miss a thing. I had not heard much about this before it came out, and I was enticed by the actor set-up, as I had recently been watching lots of Cillian Murphy films. So I decided based on this to go see this film, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised if you liked, and hate to sound clichéd here, the film inception - with the whole playing with your mind thing, then you will like this movie, for me it is a thriller worthy of at least 4 stars.
I have seen and read a number of very negative reviews where people didn't get or felt cheated, I do not wish to sound sarcastic, but I'm not sure they watching the same movie as I was.
For more of a plot over view please see Ms R Hoseason's review, that describes it very well.
All in all great story, which really kept me in captivated, I will be checking out the DVD when it is out, and look forward to the extras. If the film is still out release then I would recommend seeing on the big screen

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated film in years., October 6, 2012
This review is from: Red Lights [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Let me start this review by saying I went into this movie thinking it might be pretty good, I was excited to see Cillian Murphy because I love the man, but coming out of this film I was in complete shock at how good it was.

The thing that makes this thriller so great, is that unlike most of the movies made under the genera, the first half doesn't suffer to make the final half that much more shocking/amazing. This movie had me hooked from the start until the end without wasting a moment. Each scene was tense and did its job. The concept alone was enough to get me interested but they throw curve ball after curve ball to keep you that much more invested and it worked without fault. Nothing in the movie felt at all cheesy or forced. It had a very natural flow about it.

Now if you have heard anything about the movie you probably know that some people are loving the ending and others are hating the ending. I am without a doubt one of the people who love it. Not just "the reveal" was amazing but the whole final 10-15 minutes was phenomenal and memorable. It felt real and very satisfying.

So please see this movie. It deserves so much more credit then its getting and I hope you will be able to see the movie for what it is and truly appreciate it like I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great movie! Need to watch it twice...at least, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Red Lights [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First of all it is important to note that I bought this movie from Best Buy the day it came out. Although I buy a lot of movies from Amazon, lately Best Buy and Walmart are offering some extra (exclusives) that Amazon doesn't have. For example this package (blu ray, DVD, digital copy) was $12.99 from Best Buy only. So make sure you do your homework each time a movie comes out.

The movie is just fantastic! Is the kind of movie that you must watch at least twice. Sigourney Weaver is outstanding playing a professor (Margaret Matheson) who tries to debunk all supernatural claims, against a ruthless De Niro who is Simon Silver a powerful blind psychic. Together with her assistant Tom (Cillian Murphy) they try to prove that De Niro is a charlatan. Murphy's contribution in the first half of the movie is small. However, he takes over the entire movie in the second part with an outstanding performance. Elizabeth Olson's role in the movie is minimal.

Throughout the entire movie I had the impression that I was missing something. Something was not connecting. Just until the end when everything makes sense. Then I watched it again and I realized that I didn't paid attention to too many details the first time. Then, there is De Niro's acting. I have never seen De Niro acting poorly. I have seen De Niro in bad movies (i.e. Machete), but I have never seen De Niro acting poorly. In this movie, where he plays the role of a blind totally ruthless psychic, the first thing that comes to mind is a comparison with the outstanding performance of Al Pacino playing a blind eccentric U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel (Frank Slade) in "Scent of Woman". Pacino was rewarded with the Oscar for his great performance and is totally justified. If we compare De Niro's performance in this movie with Al Pacino's performance in "Scent of a Woman", we come to the conclusion at first, that De Niro is a poor actor when playing a blind person. However, you need to watch the movie all the way to the end to understand how masterful, profound, and calculated De Niro's performance is in this movie. After I watched the movie I looked at the cover of the blu ray carefully and realized that the cover gives up half of the plot.

I am not going to describe more of the movie because I don't want to spoil it for you. You need to watch it and pay attention to the details all the way to the end and the really unexpected and surprising ending. Five stars because of the plot, the direction, and the outstanding performances of all actors. Great movie all around!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining, tense and interesting movie that is pretty original. Easily keeps you watching. I recommend this, I say B+, September 30, 2012
Tony Heck (Belgrade, MT USA) - See all my reviews
"What I'm saying is that after 30 years of investigating all kinds of phenomena with the right controls in place I have yet to witness a single miracle." Paranormal researchers Dr. Margaret Matheson (Weaver) and Tom Buckley (Murphy) are the best at what they do. What they do is to go around and prove that psychic phenomena and the psychics that do them are frauds. When legendary psychic Simon Silver (De Niro) comes out of retirement and comes to the town that Matheson & Buckley live in Buckley wants his shot at him. Matheson is leery, and with good reason. I have said before that there are really only 3 ideas for movies that just keep getting remade over and over. This movie is an exception. The acting is obviously very good but the thing that I liked most about this movie is that I didn't predict the ending. Watching as many movies as I do it has become very easy to guess the endings. I did get one of the twists but the big one surprised me and I love when that happens. Other then that aspect the movie is actually very good and keeps you tense almost the entire time, with is hard to do in a movie about this subject. This is not really a fast paced movie but it is very good and tense and very much worth watching. I enjoyed it. Overall, great acting, great writing and an enjoyable movie to watch. I give it a B+.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great actors, not a bad plot, bad execution, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Red Lights (Amazon Instant Video)
Like the actors in this movie and felt they did a good job. However, the lighting was so dark in the film I had trouble following it. There is a scene where the protagonist gets jumped in a restroom and a long, drawn out, gratuitous beating takes place. I finally had to remove my earbuds and look away. I don't see how either involved in the fight was able to walk upright after it was over and wasn't sure how it added to the plot, other than to make it R rated for violence.

I wouldn't recommend this movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and depressing, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Red Lights [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Lots of people claim to be paranormal. Some people really believe they are. Others think they are just smarter than you. However Prof. Margaret Matheson (Sigourney Weaver) and her sidekick... Oops assistant physicist Tom Buckley (Cillian Murphy) are paid by the University to find out how they really do it. Will they find out the shocking truth or do they already know it?

There are no surprises here. It's the standard formula investigate the Psychic story. Seen it done many times and this will not be the last.

However I must say that this is an excellent presentation. They chose just the right actors; that is not to say that others could not have done this, yet this was an excellent cast. I have to admit that I watched this because I knew Sigourney Weaver was in this movie. I was surprised to see Robert DeNiro doing this so well that you believed he was the character that he played. I have seen Cillian Murphy in several movies but surprised to see how he helped focus the movie on the story or the message. Also with such excellent cinematography you felt like you were there; there was nothing second-rate or jerky just maybe a tad dark to hold the atmosphere.

To make this clear it's not the story but the movie production, actors, timing, and so forth that make the rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Debunking Of Psychics, August 4, 2013
This was a difficult film for me to get into. I found the first third a little boring, the second third much more interesting and the final third unbelievable and disappointing.

Sigourney Weaver plays, Margaret Matheson, a professor of Science who exposes psychic frauds. With her experience she is able to meet these psychics and debunk them with one meeting. All except one psychic, Simon Silver played by Robert DeNiro. Her younger colleague, Tim Buckley, played by the magnetic Cilian Murphy is an admirer if her intellect and her authority. Margaret has had one devastating experience with Silver, and she will not meet with him again. Buckley is adamant that they must meet, he must debunk Silver's claims. The rest of the film is spent looking atSilver and trying to discover his weakness.

What I could never really ne'er stand was what greatness Silver had. There was not enough of his appearances and the investigation into his claims. Murphy, as magnificent as his performance is, was not able to convince me of his abilities. The acting was superb, but too understated for this kind of film. DeNiro seemed to be a strange actor for this film, although he did hold his own. Weaver and Murphy gave powerful performances, and they were the ones who interested me the most.

This is a film that could have been great, except for the missing ingredient, whatever it was. I will, however, look askance at all psychics from this time on.

Recommended. prisrob 08-04-13

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Ideas; Overwrought Execution, November 4, 2012
This film starts with an interesting premise. A university professor and her associate are shown as they make their rounds exposing fake or illusory paranormal manifestations. I thought this might be a worthwhile dramatization of the kind of work that real-life debunkers such as Michael Shermer and Randi, the Magician, have done for decades.

The viewer does indeed get an under-the-table look at how some presumed psychics produce the effects that cause the gullible to grant them credence. However, after this promising beginning, "Red Lights" starts flinging itself all over the screen as if a demented poltergeist were at work.

The emotional exchanges are overwrought and out of all proportion to the topics under consideration. Special effects like blasts from a video game splatter at the viewer, where subtlety would have been much more effective and more realistic.

In addition, this film suffers from one of the worst editing jobs I've ever seen. It looks as if someone almost randomly cut scenes out of the action and distractedly spliced the remaining ends of the narrative together with scotch tape.

So too bad - a good beginning germ of an idea and a good concept for a surprise ending get buried here in poor execution. I only give this movie as high as a 3-star rating because of the valiant efforts of its star-power actors and because I did learn a few things about how fake psychics operate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and Surprising Weaver and Murphy are Excellent, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Red Lights (Amazon Instant Video)
Although Robert DeNiro is a bit of a disappointment although it makes you wonder what might have been left on the cutting room floor, Sigourney Weaver is actually quite compelling as the tired, worn down, emotionally scarred "master" and and Cillian Murphy is a puzzling but driven apprentice and they carry the film quite well in a film where everything is important.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a documentry, January 29, 2014
It was alright a bit slow... good actors pretty good script surprising ending... nothing thrilling or that you might watch again and again... I'd rent it...

Red Lights [Blu-ray]
Red Lights [Blu-ray] by Rodrigo Cortes (Blu-ray - 2012)
$29.99 $14.99