Format: Paperback
Self Help books come and go with great regularity, many of them falling on to the 'to be completed' shelf of the library after a few pages because the message is always the same. Enter Carl Taylor, a supersonic passionate enthusiast whose writing style could not fail to capture even the most critical of judges. What he offers in this terse but poignant book is a sense of actually caring about us as the reader: this is one of the most sincere guides to improving life as we live it out there on the choices of books to read while searching for meaning.

Based on the Japanese word 'Kaizen' which is translated as 'continuous improvement' and has been a philosophical torch for thousands of years in Japanese culture, Taylor pushes that concept a little further and instead defines Kaizen as continuous self-improvement. He hastens to remind us that 'continuous self-improvement' is "actually unachievable because you will never get to a point where you say 'I've achieved continuous self-improvement', because at that point, it would no longer be continuous." He stays with this lighthearted conversational approach throughout his book, using the example of our lives as cars! 'Look Under the Hood' delves into an examination of how the brain works, or, how we learn. 'Learning the Controls' studies how we think: 'The one great thing to also realize is that there is only one thing in the world that you have 100% complete unequivocal control over. And that, my friend, is the way you THINK.'

In 'What Mechanics Know' Taylor very wisely offers a brief synopsis of the sciences of learning - neuro-linguistic programming, hypnosis, and cognitive behavioral therapy - 'CBT, in a nutshell, is about making sensible assessments of your situation and making the most constructive choices that you can to improve or cope with that situation.' In 'Driver's Handbook' he offers how to create the life you want and deserve by revealing how to turn dreams into reality followed by the chapter on 'Set the GPS Navigation' to ensure you reach your ultimate destination - a very wise system of filtering out the inconsequential matter that blows in our path and concentrate on goal-seeking and finding. And finally in 'Don't Stop at Traffic Lights' he discusses FEAR and provides ways to not only dissect that word to make it understandable but also how to overcome the barriers that would hold us back -'Fear is nothing more than your mind finding False Expectations that Appear Real and then Finding Excuses And Reasons to avoid the situation.' And this cheerleader/coach finishes his accessible lessons with 'Floor it' - Life is Yours!

It may not seem on reading a review of such a book that there is anything you can't do on your own, but that is precisely the reason to buy this book. For it is with the electrifying and warmly caring presence of Carl Taylor so obvious on every page that provides the reassurance and the jumpstart to really get out there and start living the life that you want to live. Bravo! Grady Harp, May 11
Format: Paperback
A great introduction to the basics of moving forward in life. Very accessible for young people, those new to the personal development arena or anyone wanting to reconnect with core life improvement concepts.

Carl takes a lot of big ideas and breaks them down into easy-to-read and easy-to-understand sections. Kaizen (The author's definition is 'continuous self improvement') is really a philosophy each motivated individual can apply to their lives.

The book gives a framework to understand our own thinking, the impact of thought and others in our lives and then looks forwards to what we want and the potential blocks we may come across and some strategies to overcome these.

Overall, Red Means Go! is a fabulous compact read that can change your life if you take action around the suggested steps. It may be a little simplistic for those further along their personal development journey, but should be a must read for anyone wanting to start living a more effective and purposeful life.

Arienne
[...]
on June 13, 2011
Format: Paperback
At first, I was really curious about the title of the book and was honestly expecting of a common eBook that I normally read. But when I read the first chapter, everything has changed. I never thought that I will be so excited and eager to move on to the next chapter. As I was reading every word on each chapter, I am reviewing my life, how I make decisions and how I deal with people. I suddenly realized that everything has its pattern and to be able to live life fully, you should make sure that you will have a definite destination and path to be where you want to be.

What amazes me is the fact that the book makes me realize everything. I know these things but I never know that there's a way to look at it in a better view. My work has given me a lot of stress and my point of view is to enjoy things after work. I don't care about sleeping late, not eating on time and things like that. I love the fact that it changes some of my perceptions in just a snap. It's more like an eye opener, some kind of a realization book. I have read some books like this before but I was never affected like this.

Every word has its meaning and is vital. There's no fluff and fillers. Everything can be digested and can affect one's life. As I was reading Chapter two and Three, I am really excited to finish the book to find out more. It was like reading a suspense book that you want to know who the killer is. The facts are presented in a way that can encourage people.

This is not just an ordinary book. It is a Take Action book that everyone should read. From start to end, you will definitely enjoy reading it. Though I want to point out some negative things about it, I can't think of any. This book is so informational that it covers everything that one must know in order to have a good life and to survive. It helps people learn the basics on how to think right, positive views on things, and many more. It also emphasizes the need of having a good health, perfect relationship, finances, and recreation.

The examples helped a lot in visualizing and making me understand the things that the author is discussing. The personal touch given by the author also helps. It's like having a conversation with a friend or with someone talking about his views on life. It is really amazing how words can easily change one's perception. It helps people in learning and teaching at the same time. The essence of positivity was also discussed and that's the part that I loved the most. The book is just plain and simple. It is direct to the point and there are no unrelated paragraphs and sentences. It is definitely a must read book for everyone who wants improvement and open for changes in life.
on March 28, 2013
Format: Paperback
This book is a great introduction to those who are new to the self-improvement game. It covers all the basics without getting too bogged down in high level stuff that could potentially be discouraging to the beginner. Red means go! walks you through the basics and helps you create a solid foundation for starting your success journey.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations