Filmographies:Cact / Crew
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Cast/ Director highlights
- Deleted scenes
Top Customer Reviews
1) Carrie-Anne Moss is great at tomboy-type action roles like this one and shines here.
2) They waste little time on unneeded character development and get right into the action.
3) The recreation of Mars' surface was realistic and spooky.
4) The bouncing ball landing craft scene was hilarious.
5) The overall Mars pre-colonization mission (and what they eventually discover with an algae experiment) is imaginative.
6) A high-tech robot runs amok and starts killing. I always love that (ha).
1) The narrative exposition and dialogue is often VERY dorky.
2) The special features included only deleted scenes.
The going price is fair. If you're a science fiction and/or space TV series fan - get it. It has a high rewatch value.
It was promoted as a SF/Horror flick similar to ALIEN, and it really isn't--it's more like Alfred Hitchcock directing THE RIGHT STUFF.
All the SF movie fans I know tend to like byzantine tales, historic in scope, filled with quirky characters roaming rich new landscapes, so this simple tale of a small group of men trying to escape a desolate red planet within a short span of hours might not be rich enough for them. (The SF fanboys won't like it because Carrie-Anne Moss's shower scene is too short and doesn't show enough...er...Moss.)
It's definitely worth a rental, but you won't want to own it unless you're a suspense fan that revels more in how a film is put together than in how it turns out.
The movie begins with the narration of Commander Kate Bowman, as she describes how, after fifty years, the earth is running out of resources, and becoming increasingly uninhabitable. This is the reason for their mission: the first manned space mission to Mars in order to determine whether or not human life could exist on such a planet. This is a nice setup, far more intellectual and interesting that the setup for "Mission to Mars." Unlike that film, there is an actual stated reason for this mission, and the astronauts actually have a purpose in going instead of just going there to observe.
The characters are introduced to us at this time, giving us a chance to warm up to them before throwing them into the expected mayhem to come. Commander Bowman is highly intellectual and fervent in giving orders, and expects nothing but the best from her ship and her crew. The crew consists of Robby Gallagher, a maintenance operator, Dr. Quinn Berchenal, Ted Santen, Chip Pettengill, and Dr. Bud Chantilles. The crew and commander get along well for the most part, with some minor tension between certain characters as well as developing love interests among Gallagher and Bowman.Read more ›
The visual effects are stunning, as are some of the action sequences. And while I was not surprised at most of the plot turns, I did find the script to be moderately intelligent, the actors more than merely competent, with Val Kilmer, Benjamin Bratt (lately of "Law and Order" fame), Tom Sizemore, and Terrance Stamp all adding star power and credibility to the action. And who can deny the comely charms and sex appeal of Carrie Anne Moss, whose nipple-evident tee-shirt presence certainly quickened my interest in her scenes. She also adds to the credibility of what is obviously a doomed enterprise, the fledgling human habitation of the red planet. When the smoke clears and the survivors limp away from the hostile reception they receive, one finds a bit of a moral to all this; better to fix Earth than to try to escape the consequences of what man has wreaked on the planet. Maybe the Martians are superior beings after all! Enjoy!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I haven't seen this movie in a while. It's a good sci-fi movie.Published 13 days ago by Amazon Customer
Red Planet starts off as a "typical" journey to Mars. Along the way you are introduced to the characters. Read morePublished 17 days ago by Ellie
well done but why is it that every mission to mars or other planets movie has to kill off everybody.Published 1 month ago by az man
MY FAV "MARTIAN MOVIE" OF ALL!!...WELL, MATT DAMON MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABT THAT AFTER WE GET A OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW HIS NEW SCI-FI OFFERING SOON??...CR/LOL/LASVGSNVPublished 1 month ago by CHARLES RECKLING
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Robots & Androids
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy