Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 27, 2006
We liked this book but I don't think we'd give it 5 Stars. Five Stars should mean a knock-you-socks off book. This is nice, but rather typical of Marshall, and more or less what you see with most Red Riding Hood stories.

Which is not to say that there isn't humor nor merit in the book. I love that Granny gets cranky at being interrupted while reading in bed (she has a stack of books by the bed), and that in one picture there is an empty box of after dinner mints laying open on the floor. [Granny in fact comments that it was so dark in the wolf's stomach that she couldn't see to read.]

Four Stars. [B-]. Good Read-aloud. Marshall's usual clever artwork. Story follows the older versions in that grandma and Red are swallowed.
on November 30, 2013
This do-not-talk-to-strangers tale is definitely retold (with no "little" in the title), but the young listeners or readers, who may be familiar with the original, won't mind this version because the story is still charming and the illustrations--a la Marshall's "Miss Nelson is Missing"--carry the story and certainly draw in the viewer. It's an eight-minute read-aloud, including some time for elaboration. (Minutiae: With all the gobbling, why did the wolf ignore the grandmother's cat?)

The Creative Teacher: Activities for Language Arts (Grades 4 through 8 and Up)
on September 27, 2007
I did like this book, but I gave it 4 stars mostly to draw attention that this book might not be for everyone. My children (ages 4 and 6) were definitely a bit disconcerted when the sweet granny got eaten up. Certainly not what they (nor I) was expecting! Of course, it all gets happily resolved in the end - but I had my reservations getting through the book myself. So if you have especially tender-hearted young'uns in the audience, you may want to go for the "sanitized" versions of this classic.
on October 27, 2008
I like the good old ending of this version. It's nice not to pretty it up for the kids like the way we used to know it. The wordings are changed a bit as it is re-told but it's still good and my 2 1/2 year old enjoys it just as much as other happily ever after ending books.
on October 8, 2013
I believe the Red could have been a more popping red, but, I enjoyed the story line and I liked the popups.
The book was muted colors but, books would be boring if they all were the same.
on October 26, 2015
I have finger puppets to go with books for sale at my daughters alpaca farm. They are very popular. This book is a favorite of all youth.
on February 18, 2014
I didn't like that the story was slightly different than the one I grew up with. My 2 year old son was slightly afraid of the wolf on one of the pages. We worked on it and now he pets the wolf on that page. The illustrations/pop ups are great , but not colorful. There aren't any more colors than what you see on the cover. I still think it was worth getting. My son loves the book.
on December 28, 2014
James Marshall is one of my favorite authors.