4.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared
This train is pretty good, but be prepared to buy more track. What comes with the set does not provide enough options for track variation. I purchased this train and another HO scale train and this one is sturder for the same price. My four-year old son is obsessed with trains and he asks his grandfather to set up his train set all the time.
Published on June 26, 2012 by SarahC

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT A BAD STARTER KIT
Published on December 23, 2009 by Z. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT A BAD STARTER KIT, December 23, 2009
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
I bought this to be a starter kit and it has ran great. The train is well constructed and the track is a snap to put together. I was worried when I bought the trap that it would not be able to use with standard track as this set utilizes the ez track system but I was able to add additional track onto the kit without any probelms other than height. The track is well constructed and it comes with a very easy to use control box. The train and cars use a different type of coupling than most other trains, thus making it harder to add additional trains. If your looking for a beginer track or something to put under the tree this will work great, however it will quickly get boring watching it go around in the small circle over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared, June 26, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand childrens, December 20, 2012
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
Bought this for my grand kids first REAL Christmas Garden.
My oldest grand chlid has a mild degree of Autism, and I will probably get emotional when he sees it.
I really like it very much, and am excited about watching them play with it.
They will probably like this more than their presents.
Wish I could have rated this after Christmas, not before.
Works great, can run very slow, which it neat.
The only complaint, is that it is strictly an oval.
Wish that there was at least one or two straight pieces of track.
Almost $20 for 4 pieces of straight pieces, BUT that is not a big deal, just my opinion.
Buy it, especially for the young kids.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just poor quality and a major disappointment as we were very ..., September 25, 2014
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
My child has not had a chance to play with this gift more than an hour or two. Already sent the engine back (was replaced promptly) and now the speed controller is in the mail to be replaced. Just poor quality and a major disappointment as we were very excited to move up to a "real" train set after much Thomas stuff. Now it think he is preferring the Hot Wheels set that does not need repairs and replacement. Just not worth the time and money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to keep it on the track, April 11, 2014
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
Although it is easy to put the train on the track (my 2 year old grandson can do it), it is not easy to KEEP the train on the track. I found it frustrating, but the grandson didn't mind, retracking the engine and cars over and over again. He loved it -- I would like to upgrade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, January 22, 2014
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
Great train for the price. Runs smoothly on the track! We have had it for a few months and no problems have arise! My son loves it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, January 10, 2014
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
Not good. Train doesn't work well and is constantly coming off the tracks. Oh well back to the drawing board.

1.0 out of 5 stars Train is pretty useless, December 28, 2013
Gene Herritz (Spokane, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
The cars are light and flimsy and do not stay on the track. The cars do not stay coupled as the coupling is cheap and light, breaks easily. The engine looks nice but overall the train set is way too frustrating for a child under 4 or an adult for that matter. Better to spend more and get something that will stay on the track and be functional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift, December 24, 2013
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
It is a good buy and I'm sure that he will like it. I can see it running around the Christmas tree now.

2.0 out of 5 stars not so good, December 14, 2013
This review is from: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF (Toy)
Wheels fell off immediately and had to be repaired. Could not be played with. Very disapointing. Child was very sad.

HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF