4.0 out of 5 stars Heroes facing impossible odds and P-51 Mustangs!
I was so excited to see the movie, that I posted ahead of time. Now that I've seen it, I thought it was a great telling of a true story. I give it a solid 4 stars, because the actors were excellent, the cinematography was good, the combat effects were actually better than okay. The music could have been better, but despite that it is an instant classic in my book...
Published on January 11, 2012 by S. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars See it for a terrific documentary, some great dogfights and a beautiful film transfer to Blu ray
I'm going to address the Blu ray version of this film as I had not seen it in the theaters when it was released. The best thing about the disc isn't the theatrical film itself but "Double Victory: The Tuskegee Airmen at War," the 1 hour documentary "extra." While the theatrical film addresses some of the history of the courageous Tuskegee airmen, the documentary...
Published on June 11, 2012 by M. Oleson

‹ Previous | 14 5 671 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie... and with a message ...., September 3, 2012
Stephen D. Otto (Pacific Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
I was born in 1944, so I grew up with some of the unrest and problems the country was going through at that time. I agree with the reviews and the comments from those that thought this was a good movie. I have just finished watching this film for the first time and thought it was great. People out there now are so bored by anything less than the far out effects of "Star Wars" or "Transformers" and try to make comparisons with this movie. Well, this story actually happened!.... all the others are just hype and story book effects.. This is not a special effects movie (although some scenes are extremely realistic) .. Not only are the pilots having to go to war with another country, they are dealing with an internal war of racial discrimination. There seems to be alot of reviewers that pick apart this film because the "exact details were not correct" or "the language was incorrect for the time" ... etc. etc. Well, you are missing the point! Just watch the movie for what it is and try to imagine how would you have reacted in a similar situation... This film represented a part of American History that, as far as I am concerned was not a shining moment in time. But, for what it is, this film presents itself as a great little film with a couple of minor flaws. Now that I have purchased it, I will enjoy watching it many more times as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Tails, September 3, 2012
Kent C. Wheeler (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Tails (Amazon Instant Video)
I grew up during WWII and have always been interested in the history of WWII. The military was not integrated in the WWII and there Black units with outstanding records. Besides the Red Tails there was a Tank outfit that fought in Europe that had very good record. On one of the island Pacific battles the Marines were short of men and asked the Black truck drives to volunteer to fight on the front lines and the volunteers did such a good job the Marines who they fought with would take on anyone who spoke down to them. There should be more movies about these brave men who fought and died for there country even though the country mistreated them. I am white am proud to have served with black solders in the Army when it was integrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous WWII action film, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
There are few English language World War II movies that I haven't seen, so I didn't hesitate to see "Red Tails" on opening day, especially after I had seen a couple of trailers. Red Tails is an action-filled drama about the Tuskegee Airmen who flew from bases in Italy during 1944-1945. The movie covered the Red Tails from their ground attack missions in obsolete P-40 aircraft through their success in escorting B-17 bombers on missions deep into Germany, flying their hot new P-51 Mustangs. The flying scenes were as realistic as CGI can get.

The acting was very good, especially considering the action-driven nature of the movie. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Terrence Howard were excellent as the leaders of the 332nd Fighter Group. Nate Parker and David Oyelowo played tent-mates; Parker played "Easy," and Oyelowo was "Lightning." They were friends and wingmates, but they seemed to be in a race to destruction, with Easy hitting the booze too hard, and Lightning too reckless for his own good.

My only negative comments - and they're minor - are that the language wasn't very realistic, but that was obviously to get a PG-13 rating. Also, some of the phrases, such as "man up" and "we're good" weren't around until a few decades later.

And in a scene where Lightning singlehandedly attacks a German "destroyer" near the Italian coast, the ship is obviously bigger than a destroyer, it looked more like a light cruiser.

But those are minor quibbles. Red Tails was a marvelous action film and a stirring tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II fame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor..., February 20, 2013
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
Thanks for the good 1-Rating reviews. They understand why the movie is bad. I also think that the movie is a shame. Look at the reviews at the german amazon (www.amazon.de). In germany we say that the movie is only for US-guys who don`t know how the war over our country really was. I know a lot of veterans (some US, some british and of course most german) and nothing in THIS movie is realistic.

And one question left: WHY are the german soldiers always played like bad guys? Our fathers and grandfathers were fighting for our land, like every soldier. They werent good or bad. In Germany we say "ah its a hollywood movie. good action but no historic facts".

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste time and talent., May 18, 2013
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
The movie seems to consist of individual parts made by men in their spare time as they thought of scenes. Then in the end the scenes were put together in the order they were completed and the whole thing was called a movie. That is my opinion of the whole movie. The actors were out of character and the whole thing just made very little sense to me. I would not waste my time or money on this if I had know about the movie in advance. That is my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Red Tails, October 18, 2012
I was looking for a more factually accurate, less pandering, account of these heros and their missions. The air battle scenes are all that kept it from a two-star rating. Too bad, would've been a great story.

1.0 out of 5 stars What in the h......................., September 2, 2014
As a hardcore aviation historian when I heard George Lucas was to be involved with a new movie on the Tuskegee Airmen I could not wait to see it as it would have to be awesome, right?????? Terrence Howard and Cuba Junior? AWESOME!

I have studied quite a bit on the topic and the real story is just fricken awesome just as it is, even Hollywood could not outdo reality! So I watched this and..........I am beyond words on this movie. Why they had to create this garbage as a tribute to them should embarrass everybody. These gentlemen were well educated, not the outcasts from Gone with the Wind as they are portrayed. Unfortunately the writer (I assume to be from Mrs. Smiths' 1st Grade Class) put less effort into research than I do to make my coffee in the morning. The number of major errors is just unforgivable.

If anybody is really interested in the topic, please read "Red Tail Captured, Red Tail Free" by Lt Col Alexander Jefferson to get a gist of reality. Do not waste your time watching this movie, Waterboarding would involve less torture.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining movie that is more like Pearl Harbor the Flyboys. The dialog is very bad, almost ruined the movie. I say B-., May 11, 2012
Tony Heck (Belgrade, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
"We will not go away, we have a right to fight for our country the same as every other American. So you shut us down or you let us fly." The true story of the Tuskegee Airmen, an all African-American fighter pilot division during WWII. After coming to the brink of being scrapped their Colonel A.J. Bullard (Howard) fights to keep them together. It is up to them to prove themselves. I will start by saying that I thought this movie was OK and not worth most of the bad reviews it has gotten. That said the dialog is terrible and almost ruined the movie. If you have seen the "Star Wars" movie you will know what I mean when I say the action carried the movie but no one talks the way the do in this movie in real life. The plane fights were fun to watch but when someone spoke it really ruined the moment and took a while to get the excitement back. The movie reminded me more of "Pearl Harbor" then "Flyboys". I do think this is worth watching, but it would be better if it was on mute. Overall, an entertaining movie with awful dialog. I give it a B-.

2.0 out of 5 stars THE TUSKEGEE BIGGIE, June 6, 2014
Paco Calderón (Mexico City, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
"RED TAILS" is the remake of HBO's "THE TUSKEGEE AIRMEN" for the big screen. New things are added and some things are missing.
Added are a big budget, some great CGI shots of aerial combat, an escaped black POW that somehow makes it home, and a pointless -if not demeaning- interracial romance.
Missing -and sorely missed- is the strong presence of Laurence Fishburne, Courtney B. Vance, Malcolm-Jamal Warner and John Lithgow. Of the original cast, only Cuba Gooding Jr. returns, but in a less meaty role.
Missing too is the basic moral of the story. The first movie was about men, this one's about hot-shots. Not the same thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of a copycat..., April 16, 2014
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
Although the topic of the 1st African-American pilots is an unbelievably important one, I don't think this movie quite lives up to the significance of it. I felt like I was watching a remake of Flyboys only with racial subtext. It is almost the same overall plot...nobody respects the Americans (African-Americans), boy falls in love, pilots gain respect, boy loses girl, end of movie. For me, the focus should have been squarely on the GIGANTIC obstacles these pilots faced and overcame against all odds, not on the unbelievable story line between a couple who can't even communicate with each other yet somehow seem to fall instantly in love. With all the great actors involved in this project, it could have been an outstanding movie instead of just ok.

‹ Previous | 14 5 671 | Next ›

Red Tails
Red Tails by Anthony Hemingway (DVD - 2012)
$29.98 $9.67