5.0 out of 5 stars My first "Real" boots since leaving the military!!!
Published 12 months ago by J. Kanter

3.0 out of 5 stars Well. Decent Boots...
Pros- Look good, quality, good value for cost. I feel these boots will last. Great for a more formal boot, if you want to look nice and romp in cool wet winter weather.

Cons- Inner soles are a MUST. These shoes have no padding at all. Killed my feet. I suppose maybe that is why these boots are 'classic'

So, You better buy inner soles if you want...
Published on November 28, 2011 by Johnson Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars My first "Real" boots since leaving the military!!!, September 4, 2013
First let me say that I wear my hiking boots everywhere, store, walking through town, taking kids to bus stop, hiking, dog park, everywhere. I am not a steel worker, lumberjack, carpenter, survivalist, or any other "rugged" type worker. What I am is a military vet, dad, and regular guy who is tired of needing new boots every year. I was doing my yearly boot shopping, looking for a nice pair of hiking, walking, daily use boots. I was replacing a pair of Columbias. I seem to have to replace my boots every year or so, and this year is no different! While shopping, I realized that when I was in still in the Army, I would wear one pair of boots, the old quality leather Cocoran II, not these new canvas boots, and my leather jump boots lasted me years! I would beat those boots up badly, and they would keep going. Now as a civilian, I am much easier on a pair of boots, but I seem to need to replace them yearly. I would laugh at spending too much on a pair of Columbia, or Teva hiking boots, and I would look like I was heading to the trails no matter what i was doing. So I decided to splurge on a pair of red Wings!

I normally wear a size 10.5 regular width boots. After doing some research, I found that most people recommend ordering a size down when it comes to Red Wing. I ended up ordering a 10D knowing that if they did not fit, Amazon had a good return policy. the 10D boots fit like a glove! Perfect fit. I got the Briar oil slick ones, they are a nice brown color. I was a little dismayed at the look of the brown leather and the tan foam sole. After wearing them around for a few minutes, I grew to kinda like the contrast in colors, they still have that brand new boot look, but over time, the bright sole will fade and the contrast of colors will be less.

First thing I did after making sure the boots fit was to heat my oven to 150 degrees. I applied a coat of Obenauf's LP (I ordered a 4oz tub with my boot order), turned the oven off once it hit 150, and them put my new Obenauf's coated boots in the oven for 45 minutes. After 45 min I took the boots out, put them on immediately, laced them up on my feet, and wore them around the house for the rest of the night, about 5 hours. The leather was extremely soft and pliable when they first came out of the oven and for the first 15 minutes or so, they felt too big on my feet. As the leather cooled, it became less pliable, and they felt tighter on my feet. After a few hours, they were totally cooled, the leather was the same flexibility as when the boots were in the box, but they fit my feet perfectly. The next day i walked my kids to the bus stop and there was no rubbing, no movement in the heel, the boots just fit well. The Obenauf's LP is great. the LP didn't change the shade of the boot, but it did make the color look deeper, if that makes any sense.

Now I am on day 4 of wearing these boots. I am in love. They are extremely comfortable, fit well, and they look so much better than hiking boots when I go out. I know red Wings are the "in" style in some places right now, but that's not why I bought them. Sure, it's nice to have stylish boots, but I live overseas, and these boots are most certainly NOT the style where i live. I got them because of the Red Wing reputation for quality, the fact that these boots CAN be resoled, and they look good in jeans, khakis, cargos, whatever.

Probably the 2 nicest things about these boots are: First, these boots seem and feel like they will outlast me. Second, is that great MADE IN THE USA tag sewed on the leather upper! As you can tell from my review, I LOVE THESE BOOTS! I would without hesitation recommend these boots to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well-built boot. Spendy, but worth it., January 22, 2013
This review is from: Red Wing Heritage Men's Classic Work 6-Inch Round Toe Boot - Leather (Shoes)
First disclaimer, I purchased these directly from a Red Wing store, not from Amazon.

I've had them about 2 weeks now, and worn 5 times (all day each time).

Overall impression. These are extremely high-quality well made boots. The quality of the materials and the quality of the craftsmanship that went into making them is evident.

Spendy, yes. But based on the quality and everything I've read about RW's, I expect many many years of wear out of these boots. For reference, I recently retired a pair of Clarks chukka boots, paid $80. Wore them 3-4 days a week for about 6 months to my deskjob. And they are already trashed. Not a good investment.

Fit: Size down at *least* 1/2 a size. I wear a size 13 running shoe (Asics) and size 12 in all my regular shoes (Kenneth Cole, Johnston & Murphy, etc.) My foot was measured in the RW store as a dead on 12. Normal width, but my left foot is slightly narrower than my right. I tried on an 11 1/2 and there was a lot of heel slip, particularly in my left shoe. Ended up getting an 11 as the salesperson told me that the leather would loosen up slightly as it breaks in and I am glad I did. They fit perfectly.

Break-in. The leather on these is stiff. I expected a long break-in, but I wore them with dress socks the first day for 8 hours with no problems. Granted I was sitting most of the day. Now that I've worn them a few times, they are really breaking in nicely and I expect them to be be very comfortable within a few more days of wearing them.

A great looking boot, fantastic to wear with jeans or khakis. Looking forward to many years with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made boots, February 6, 2013
I purchased these boots because red wing is an American brand that is at the top of the list when it comes to work boots. These boots did not disappoint. I was in the army for 8 years and 3 deployments and I have been trying to find a boot that compares to the boots that I wore in combat. I would have rather wore these Red Wing Boots than any Army issued boots that I ever received. Great buy! I will only buy Red Wing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well. Decent Boots..., November 28, 2011

So, You better buy inner soles if you want these. Honestly, there may be better options out there. I did keep mine, but I would have preferred to not have to buy the inner soles. I like the look of them that much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots. Size down!, April 15, 2014
I just got these in and really like them. I picked them up in the Copper Rough and Tough leather and think the color variations in the pull-up leather is really great. The soles are very comfortable and have a much different feel than vibram rubber and leather shoes, obviously. I can't imagine that they provide much traction in the winter, nor have I heard that they last particularly long on really abrasive surfaces like concrete. That being said, they look fantastic!

The size is as others have indicated. I've heard anywhere from .5 to 1 size smaller than your typical shoe size. I wear 11.5 in running shoes and 11 in Alden dress shoes. These I bought in 10.5. They're snug in the toe box, but feel like they'll end up conforming to my foot as the leather loosens up with wear.

I've got plenty of handmade boots from John Varvatos mainline, Frye, Wings + Horns, etc. These are as good as the best of those, from what I can tell so far.

Be aware that these boots are unlined and that the insole is hard leather, so some may prefer to put a softer insole in them. I'd rather let them break in and form to my foot.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend these. If my opinion changes or something gives, I'll be sure to update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great BOOT!, December 20, 2013
Great Boot! Expecting these to last for a while. The leather ages real well even with just a month or two. The leather will darken and soften to fit itself perfectly around the foot. Great Purchase! Absolutely happy with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, January 7, 2014
The quality on the boots is great, and I love the style. I have a fairly narrow foot. I wear a 10.5 in running shoes like Nike and New Balance. I tried on some Red Wing Iron Rangers locally (local store didn't have the Round Toes) to see how the Red Wing Heritage boots fit before ordering. Most people recommend sizing down which was definitely necessary for me. Even though I'm a 10.5 in Nike, I wear a 9.5 in these Red Wings, and that is allowing for adding my own insole also. I added a Nike insole to these boots to add a little more cushion. Adding an insole is optional, and I decided to add one after hearing of many other people doing that. I have wanted some Red Wings for a while and am glad I ended up liking these so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with Red Wing, November 25, 2013
These boots go to show that you get what you pay for. These are, and will be, the most expensive things I'll ever put on my feet, and they're worth every penny. Comfortable, fashionable, and built to last. Their attention to detail is obvious, such as a softer leather on the tongue and solid faultless hand-stitching. Wearing them I feel proud (and several inches taller!) and I would recommend them to anyone looking for boots with a little extra cash in the wallet.

I purchased the Copper Rough and Tough. They came to me in a mostly consistent rich, dark brown colour, which became even darker after I had applied two coats of the Red Wing Shoes waterproofing oil (would also recommend getting). As expected, wear shows on this colour, creases and highlights begin to show the second you put them on (as seen in the picture) so if you're looking for a style that looks and feels like you've worn them forever, and also worried about scuffing them (they look well worn and well scuffed anyway) I'd recommend that style. Of course if you want a consistent colour the other styles will look great too! Hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots. Great Shipping time, November 11, 2013
I've been hesitating to pull the trigger on these boots for some time because I was nervous about buying them online and then not fitting correctly. I used the Amazon Prime trail and felt a little more secure that I could get them within the week and ship them back for free if they didn't fit instead of waiting months for them to return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, October 30, 2009
I am very pleased with this purchase. I received the item quick and in great condition. The item is 100% authentic Red Wing and shipped from factory. I would buy again!

Red Wing Heritage Men's Classic Work 6-Inch Round Toe Boot - Leather