5.0 out of 5 stars Quality made
This is a well made boot. Built like a tank, should last forever! They do take a little breaking in so bear with them it will happen. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Published on March 13, 2010 by Andre F. Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars was narrow and pinched my foot, had to return
although it looked roomy,the toe box was narrower than expected and was very u comfortable. I normally wear medium width in regular dress shoes.
Published 14 months ago by FLNJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality made, March 13, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the boots..., December 2, 2013
JGI (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
So now that I've had these boots for about a month, I figured it's time for me to weigh in.

These are high quality boots. The leather just feels legit. I've got some other very nice leather boots and shoes and these boots surpass them all in leather quality. The leather is thicker, yet supple. The entire boot feels well-constructed. The stitching is top notch. The soles should last forever (c'mon, they're Vibram!) and if they don't they could easily be replaced. I've gotten compliments from both hipsters and true-blue working class dudes alike. The verdict is in: these boots are the real deal.

About the fit. I went back and forth for a while... "should I order my size or a half-size down?" Reviewers here and at other sites say to order a half-size down. I generally order a 9.5 and the thought of ordering size 9 just made balk. Size 9? I can't remember the last time I wore a size 9. So I decided to get my standard size 9.5 and I was not disappointed. They fit just fine. For most dress shoes and boots I wear a size 9.5. Frye boots and shoes, size 9.5 fits me great. Nike sneakers I wear a size 10. So I guess if you're thinking your sneaker size... a half-size down would work. If you're used to wearing nice boots and shoes, I recommend just getting your normal size. With normal weight socks they fit fine, with a thicker wool socks they'll a bit tight but will certainly break in further with time.

The break in. When I first got these boots, they fit great and felt nice. The only part of the boot that was a little stiff was the ankle -- it took about a week or two to truly break in the ankle. My ankles were sore for a little while but now I've got no problems. With thicker socks, my pinky toes hurt a bit but I imagine that the more I wear thicker socks the better the boots will wear in. I think I've worn these boots every day since I purchased them and I definitely plan to wear them again tomorrow.

The boots are a very beautiful reddish brown leather, but they are not waterproof. As I bought these to help me brave the oppressive Chicago winters, I wanted to waterproof and condition them immediately. I used Sno-Seal. Sno-Seal is beeswax-based and will definitely darken the color. Make sure to both clean the boots beforehand as well as heat them; I used a hairdryer to heat the leather, worked the Sno-Seal in, and heated more to promote absorption. I'm happy with the results. They've darkened but are beautiful and now are waterproof. Water beads right off.

I couldn't have asked for a better work boot. I looked at other brands and they just don't compare. The price is steep, sure, but you're not just paying for a brand... you truly are paying for quality. Take care of these boots and they'll last a lifetime. Whether you do white-collar consulting work like me that takes you all over the city on a daily basis, or you're a straight up blue-collar workhorse who will really give them some scrapes, you're just really going to love these boots. This is true American-made quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Boot For the Money, December 9, 2011
All I have to say about these boots are wow... I bought these through J. Crew $168 (25% off currently), only slightly different, black Red Wing labeled eyelets (I think look nicer than the brass ones), and comes with leather shoe strings in addition to rugged ones. This is my first pair of Red Wing boots, owned a number of cheap boots over the years. These by far are better than any boot I have ever owned in every way. Considered a pair of Russell Moccasin's, but decided on these instead. The moccasin like design in these boots can't be beat, I have only owned them three days now, and I'm amazed at how quickly they are breaking in. Have a few spots where they rubbed slightly the first day, second day this was largely gone, on the third day they feel all around great and the leather is super smooth! They do run narrow though, and I have fairly wide feet, (they are only available in one width from J. Crew as well as Amazon), but the leather formed perfectly to my feet. I believe most people recommend going down 1/2 size on Red Wing's, but I bought these in my normal size and have only worn thin dress socks, so the boots form to my feet. Glad I did as they fit about perfectly, and will be quite snug with a thick sock. I have found them to offer great support, much better than I expected, definitely don't need inserts. The boot is beautiful, well constructed, nice color, and if properly maintained, (I plan to use Picard boot oil) I see no reason for these to not last me decades, (with resoling a course).

Couldn't be happier with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing boots, September 28, 2010
I bought these boots, that appear to be very similar if not identical, to those sold by J. Crew. They are stiff at first, but after a few days they will soften up and become the most comfortable shoes you own. I would recommend these to everyone who needs a solid shoe for the winer. Cover them in the Red Wing boot oil every couple of years and you will have a pair of shoes that will outlast you. I have worn these boots in a variety of places and environments and have zero complaints with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Wing Classic Boot, January 23, 2011
This is my first pair of red wing from Amazon.com, I really love it and shipping and handling was so nice and great, price is right. The shoes was well made and excellent quality shoes. I will buy more Red Wing shoes from Amazon.com. Thank You.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Wing, there is a reason..., January 18, 2011
Shrewgy (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is my second pair of Red Wing boots. My other pair is a different model #. I have tried quite a few "bargain boots" in hopes of saving a few bucks. Well my days of that are over. There is a reason Red Wings can cost more than twice the price of other boots out there, they are MUCH better quality. DO yourself a favor and get fitted for some Red Wing boots before you waste your hard earned scratch on some junk that only hurts your feet or falls apart in 3 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Leather Boots, August 6, 2012
First off let me say that the pictures posted on amazon of the boots convey the product perfectly. Second, as many reviewers on amazon say, the boots are indeed large. I ordered half a size down from my normal sneaker size and they fit perfectly even with thick wool socks.

Now on to the quality of the boots. These Red Wing's are by far the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. This might not be saying much considering that I have worn Vans my whole life, but boy is the difference incredible. These shoes also look awesome, get your self a pair of nice Levi's, a button up shirt, and your set for a night out on the town. As pretty as these boots look though they are indeed rugged, I live in the Sierra Nevada's and these stand up to the test except for the fact that they are NOT waterproof. There is a solution for the water proof problem though, just apply Sno-Seal.

All in all, an awesome all around boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these boots BUT ......., September 10, 2014
I have been looking for a pair boots that look like these for a long time and once I saw them in a magazine, I found and bought them online at Amazon.
I bought two pairs, one in 12 and one in 13 so I could compare the two sizes as I am mainly a 13 but occasionally a 12. Tried both on and kept 13s and sent 12s back.
Here is the BUT.... after breaking the 13s in, realized I should have kept the 12s instead. So I rebought the 12s and ended up with a second pair. I did put a wool insert liner in the 13s and they fit just fine, but I also took the 12s to a shoe repair place and had a flat Vibram Christie sole put on them. So I have 2 pairs with the same boot look but two different soles and applications. The Christie soled 12 boots I wear around town with a thin sock and the original soled 13 I wear hiking and working outside.

3.0 out of 5 stars was narrow and pinched my foot, had to return, October 10, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, amazing boots, November 16, 2014
These are not my first pair of red wing boots. These boots and my iron rangers are made in the USA with high quality leather and manufacturing. They are expensive but will last you a lifetime. The soles can be replaced (at red wing or your at local cobbler) when they wear out not like some of the cheap boots out there.

The sizing is strange with Red Wing, different boots may not be the same numerical size across their product line. Also, the 7.5 runs a little narrow but be aware that these boots mold to your feet during break in so you will want a snug fitting boot but not painful when you first wear them.

As far as break in, these broke in rather quickly compared to the iron rangers. They were fine after a few days of wearing. The leather is thick but pliable, the stitching straight and beautiful. The color is amazing and I was even considering swapping out the laces (just to be different) but any modification is just not needed. They are perfect out of the box. They are even better looking than the pictures show when you are holding them in your hands.

I purchased these to use during the winter months as the treads are aggressive for snow and slippery condition. I caught these at a crazy price, a mistake that was quickly rectified. Otherwise, I would still be reading the reviews, looking at pictures and wishing I had a pair.

In closing, high quality boots made in the USA, fantastic looks and pricey but will easily be there to share in your adventures and become your old friends. Head on down to your local red wing dealer to get a sense of the sizing or read up on message boards on suggestion for sizing if a dealer isn't close by. Do your research because you won't want to send them back once you get them!