5.0 out of 5 stars A well-balanced magazine! Enjoyed it then; enjoy it now!
I enjoyed reading this magazine when I was raising my children because it had something of interest to almost everyone in the family. When the kids were at school, I especially liked putting my feet up and settling down with a cup of hot tea while reading the few short fiction stories that were featured in each issue.

I was disappointed when the publishers went...
Published on November 27, 2007 by Betty L. Dravis

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Well-Rounded?
Published on February 6, 2002 by Karin A. Rex

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Well-Rounded?, February 6, 2002
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
Just canceled my subscription, after a year-and-a-half. Unfortunately, for my tastes and lifestyle (40s, married, business owner, no children). I think Redbook is trying to be too well-rounded. I used to love this magazine (especially back in HS and college), but now it seems like it trying to appeal to too many audiences at once...a few pages of Cosmo-style sex-related articles, a few pages of Women's World-style life-threatening articles, a few pages of Health- magazine "you too can have abs of steel" articles, and way too pages of Parent's Magazine-style articles. The only thing I found myself enjoying was the "Most Embarrassing Moments" feature. I think that a magazine with an article about "Red Hot Sex Kissing Games" a few pages away from an article about "Kids Get Dry Skin Too" is not focused enough. On top of this (and perhaps because of it), it seemed as though most of their articles only touched the surface of any one topic, -- all headlines and captions, no substance. I think Vanity Fair, Jane, or Marie Claire might be a better choice for those who want a more focused magazine that delves into its topics more thoroughly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk - too much advertising and no substance, November 25, 2007
Ash (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
This magazine should be handed out for free, I am not surprised currently going for $3 because it is basically only full of ads. Out of a bulky 225 pages to browse, ony 25 pages of articles, out of which only 10 pages of interest to me....I would definitely not renew my subscription in 9 months!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-balanced magazine! Enjoyed it then; enjoy it now!, November 27, 2007
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)

I was disappointed when the publishers went "with the flow" and discontinued the short fiction a few years ago, but I continued to read it for the other interesting features.

As the kids grew up and situations changed, I quit reading magazines so much and lost myself in my true love--reading novels. Thus, Redbook was lost somewhere along the way.

Recently, when I saw Redbook in Amazon, it was like seeing an old friend ... an old friend showing more "cleavage," to be sure. But, regretfully, that's the signs of the times. On a whim--I ordered a subscription. The price was right, and I haven't regretted my decision.

Some reviewers have complained because they think Redbook tries to appeal to too many sections of society, but I find that a plus. I like learning about things other generations and cultures find of interest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Shallow, May 31, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
This is a very shallow magazine. The artickes have no depth, the titles and cover proclimations are very misleading (such as a child's "Miracle" recovery which was simply that he got better when the Dr.'s found what was wrong and gave him a bit of medicine, or a "Quirky" post-baby weight loss tip that was breastfeeding). It's full of useless "diets," scare-of-the-month health issues that aren't even real news, and other such drivel. In trying to appeal to everyone it doesn't appeal to me at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but too much "mom stuff", July 19, 2006
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
I was annoyed that this magazine seems to equate "mature woman" with "has kids". I enjoy the realistic fashion tips and advice, and I get annoyed with Cosmo's teenage attitude, but I'd like to see more about careers to balance out the "how to be a mom who does it all" sections. And yes, I'm not kidding...there's a regular section on being a mom who does it all.

This mag will appeal to those who are in the mom/work category. Those of us who do not have kids but are still "grown up" will be a little left behind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
I read this magazine for the first time several years ago while pumping when my baby was in the hospital. I loved it! It seemed to cater to young, hip, profressional women (including new mamas!) I couldn't wait to subscribe! Unfortunately, the magazine has changed since that time to the point that I canceled my subscription. There were too many "shock-value" articles that just don't appeal to me now that I am in my 30s. Also, I didn't want my daughter stumbling upon one of the sizzling (often premarital) sex topics. Yikes! I expect this from Cosmo, but not from Redbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Magazine!, April 14, 2010
This review is from: Redbook (1-year auto-renewal) (Magazine)
As a married mother of five boys in her mid thirties I have to say I dont' have a lot in common with articles such as, "How to get him to ask for your phone number," Or "Looking sexy, not slutty." (though I like to look sexy) And Redbook doesn't waste my time with articles like that, not like some other shall remain nameless publications.

I want nice, classic with a touch of trendy clothing, but I can't afford to spend $1800 on one t-shirt. Redbook gives me stylish, affordable alternatives. They have great articles regarding keeping the heat alive in your marriage, and their recipes are quick, affordable and for the most part kid friendly.

I am a magazine junkie, I have read most magazines out there at some point (Yes, even Car and Driver and Popular Science), and Redbook continues to be among my favorite. It doesn't forget that the married mom is a woman too, nor does it assume that you must be 20, a size two single and living in NYC to want to be sexy and have a good time.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like Advertisements This Magazine is For You, November 12, 2007
youbink (LONG ISLAND CITY, NEW YORK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
I use to read this magazine back in the eighties and I remember that I had enjoyed it. Recently I decided to subscribe to a few women's magazine,this being one of them.Upon receiving the first issue I could see this wasn't the same magazine I remember.Every other page is an advertisement.No wonder it's only $8.00 for a subscription they don't have to pay any staff,there are little to no articles.Very disappointed, I should have picked up a copy at the supermarket first to check it out before subscribing.Oh well, at only $8.00 it isn't a huge lost, but once the subscribption runs out I will not be renewing.I can recommend Good Housekeeping, Ladies Home Journal, and I was pleasantly surprised by an improved Family Circle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value! Filled with useable info., November 9, 2004
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
I really like this magazine, even if its a woman's magazine. Often I find these types of magazines filled with advertisements and articles that never seem to fit a real persons every day life. This magazine features a nice cross section of information on fashion, decorating, cooking, and relationships. I always find something interesting to read in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redbook.. is more .... magazine, December 6, 2005
This review is from: Redbook (1-year) (Magazine)
I look forward to recieving my magazine every month. I really love this magazine. It has articles, marriage, sex, women's lives, etc. I don't know why the others didn't enjoy it.

ARRAY(0xa19ac330)