Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reddy Heater 60,000 BTU Kerosene Forced-Air Heater #R60A
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 10, 2004
Unit works right out of the box. Just add fuel and plug it in. I doesn't get simpler than this. With the optional thermostat you just set it and forget it. It'll outlast you on most jobs with a full tank of fuel. Safe and economical performance. (just don't point the end at anything that'll burn). A safe distance is around 4 or more feet in front where heat comes out. I don't know what the maker recommends but that distance works quite well for me. Now I wouldn't leave the building with one of these running for any period of time. Outside there's no problem heating in the general direction where you're working. This thing throws quite a bit of heat for it's size. It is noisy and you won't be able to talk on the phone when using it in the same room, but for utility heat nothing compares. I've seen places that used those hanging heaters replace them with one of these things.
on February 1, 2011
I purchased this heater a 7 years ago and it has performed pretty well over that time. I did have to take it in for servicing once a couple of years after I bought it but I think the issue was that it got clogged up due to being in my very dusty woodworking shop. I do a little more preventative maintenance/cleaning now and I've had no issues since. I purchased this heater with the thermostatic control. Thermostat is very easy to use and is really a must have item for this kind of heater. I don't use the heater much any more since I don't do as much woodworking as I once did but it heat up my uninsulated, 2-1/2 car garage reasonably quickly in the dead of Ohio winter and kept it warm enough to work in all day long. It will run on just about anything (not gasoline) and I used just about every kind of fuel for it at one time or another. I preferred low-odor kerosene but run it on diesel most of the time because it's easy to get and about the least expensive fuel option.

My issues with the heater are the following:
* It's very loud: I wear hearing protection all the time in the shop with this thing for the both tools and the heater.
* It puts a lot of condensation in the air: It's an un-vented heater so you will get quite a bit of condensation with this type of heater. This can be an issue for both your tools (rust) and your projects (changing moisture content and finishes).
* Fuel cap: the cap is difficult to get on and off as the fuel gauge is built into the cap. The result is that you have to fiddle with the cap to get it past the back end of the heater when taking it out or putting it back on. It's poorly designed[...]

* Filling with fuel: it took me several tries to find the right funnel to use with this heater. Because the fuel opening is so close to the back of the heater most round funnels sit caddywhompus in the opening and can fall out/over easily. If you are like me and use this to heat a simple garage shop, you don't want to be slopping diesel/kerosene all over the place if you can avoid it.
* Weight: This thing is heavy empty, fill it with fuel and it's a bear to move around. I built a small rolling cart to set it on and make it easier to move around. You'll need a sturdy shelf to set it on for storage if you want it off the ground. One benefit of the weight is that is makes the heater nearly impossible to knock over and therefore safer.

If you need something to take on a camp site or sideline that will put out lots of heat this is a very good option. I would, and do, use mine to this day but I have a natural gas heater for my garage now so I don't need the Reddy heater much anymore. I would absolutely recommend this over a propane or electric heater because it puts out so much heat so quickly. I feel like it's a fairly safe heater. It won't fall over like others, no explosive gas (propane) to worry about and if you get close enough to this thing when it's running to actually burn yourself on it you where probably trying to get burned because the heat coming out of this thing will drive you back long before you come in contact with hot metal.
on December 12, 2010
I've had the unit for a year. Used it 4-5 times last Winter (Georgia, USA.) Had trouble lighting it at the end of the season. This year, it wont light. I put in fresh fuel, cleaned the air filters and fuel filter, adjusted the air pressure, checked the igniter, and cleaned the photo cell. I am now an expert in most aspects of this device. After all that it lit and ran perfectly - twice. Now, it won't light, won't even try. I checked everything again, but can't find anything wrong. I'm about to walk out the door. Gone shopping for a new heater :(

SC
on March 15, 2009
Well quiet compared to my 150,000 btu heater that finally quit after 22 years. It sounded like the space shuttle taking off. The box says this heater is made in the USA by union workers!! and it's been running the last couple of months without taking a coffee break! Hah! Bad joke, sorry. I have it hooked up to a thermostat, so it's on and off on it's own. I don't recommend leaving it unattended. I don't know...this heater works fine for a three car garage that is insulated and dry-walled and I keep it around 50 degrees.It will bring up the temp to 65 or 70 no problem and it's been a cold winter so you can gauge it from there. It says it runs on diesel too but I haven't tried it. The 150,000 btu heater was absolute overkill, but why replace something that still worked? This 60,000 btu heater is a good replacement for my situation.
on December 1, 2008
I bought a used kerosene heater in 1995, it lasted 11 years. Since then I have gone thru 3 Reddy Heaters, the products works great, but for a very short time, at least that was my experience with the 3 units I bought. I continued to exchange the units because I thought it was just a fluke. I have tried their Tech Support, I have been on hold today for near 1 1/2 hours today. This has been very frustrating.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2009
I bought this heater and replaced a 35000 btu heater. I knew the heater was top quality because of my old heater was a Ready Heater. My only concern is when my heater was delivered there was a sticker on the box that said THIS PRODUCT IS SOLD AS IS NO WARANTY. Does this mean it's used. or rebuilt? Thank you.