5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!
Published on July 17, 2005 by Paul Gifford

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on April 19, 2005 by Mobile in Arizona

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, July 17, 2005
This review is from: RediCheck Remote Cooking Thermometer w/Taste Settings (Kitchen)
I was looking for a thermometer with a remote readout and was reasonably priced. This one is just what I was looking for. I've used it on the grill and in the kitchen and it has improved the quality of my finished product. Before I bought the probe I would overcook the food (erring on the side of safety) and end up with meat that was too dry. With this thermometer that's no longer the case.

I'm going to address complaints raised by other reviewers. I haven't had any trouble with the probe. It's worked fine and the temperature is more accurate than I expected. It indicates room temperature correctly and when put in boiling water (with the probe not touching the bottom of the pan) it reads 212F. The food I've cooked using it comes out appropriately done. The range is a little shorter than I expected but not so short that it's a problem.

In short, I would buy this product again.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's accurate only if you're careful with it!, October 17, 2008
Jennifer Singh "microbiojen" (08322 - Franklinville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this thermometer for about a month, and mostly, I love it. Two major weaknesses though -- keep reading. Because of this tool, meats on the grill come out moist and tender every single time. Other reviewers have touted the many advantages of remote thermometers in general, so I will skip that information here except to say that I stongly agree with those opinions.

This particular thermometer has a nice feature that is missing from most other remote thermometers: it displays the current temperature on the remote handheld unit (as all of these types of thermometers do) but ALSO displays it on a small LCD connected to the temperature probe. It allows two chefs (him at the grill and me in the kitchen) to time our food so that it all comes out together. He can tend to the outdoor guests and to other grill tasks, while at the same time babysitting the probe and making corrections for any odd readings... like if the probe falls out of the meat, or if it stops transmitting due to weak batteries, or if it was placed incorrectly next to a bone.

This thermometer is also more durable than the Remote Digital Thermometer we bought before this one. The cable on that one frayed quickly and the probe completely fell off its cable after fewer than a dozen uses. This Maverick unit, however, is showing no signs of fraying after the same amount of time.

It's very intuitive to use... you may be tempted to skip reading the brief operating instructions. Don't. The warnings and "helpful hints" in there are critical to using this tool successfully.

We have had two problems with it:

1) Accuracy -- when placed in boiling water, it was reading 230-232 degrees instead of the expected 212 degrees. I called the manufacturer and they said this is normal behavior if the probe gets wet at the point where the cable meets the probe. We had been getting perfectly accurate readings up until we misused it this way. It takes a couple of days to dry out, and then it works okay again. My advice: keep that spot meticulously dry. Be careful when washing it, and also be careful to place it in the meat such that the juices won't drip down the length of the probe.

2) Wireless Transmission -- the probe occasionally stops transmitting (or the remote stops receiving, doesn't really matter which is actually happening) and so "---" is displayed on the remote unit. The display on the base though, shows the current temperature. We think this is what happens when the remote gets out of range; the manual doesn't explain. It's fixed easily; just turn everything off and on again. (You might also check that it's not just a simple weak battery problem.)

However, the bigger problem is that there's no audible signal that indicates this "---" error. The remote does NOT sound an alarm, and the base unit (which has no mechanics for making sound anyway) doesn't change its display. I once accidentally overcooked my meat because I depend so completely on the "beep beep beep" that I forgot to look at the display for long periods of time. I have no idea how long it was quietly displaying "---" while the meat cooked and cooked and cooked out there. My advice: until you are 100% sure of the transmission capability through the walls of *your* home, set a timer to make sure you don't forget to check the display every few minutes.

Overall, we love using our remote thermometer, but we went through some "growing pains" to figure out these weaknesses. The documentation doesn't indicate how sensitive the probe is to water... though it does say several times to avoid immersing the probe in water. If the documentation had properly warned of these issues, and if the unit had an audible notification to announce loss of signal, I would have given this product a full five stars.

I haven't found a wireless remote thermometer that tolerates wetness or announces transmission errors, but if you find one, please leave a comment on this review so that I can buy that PERFECT thermometer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good single probe remote thermometer, May 22, 2004
By A Customer
We use this model as well as the dual-probe ET-7 for competition BBQ contests throughout the summer and fall. Sure is nice to be able to tend to other tasks, or just shoot the bull with other teams and still have confidence that you know what your pit is up to at any given time. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, mostly, August 23, 2005
Marc Sugiyama (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this remote thermometer after seeing a brief review in the Wall Street Journal. I find that it works well and reports temperatures quite accurately, more so than other electronic thermometers I've tried. I don't consider it "perfect" for two reasons:

1. There are two components - the sender and the receiver. You have to turn them on or reset them in the right order for them to communicate with one another. I don't use this frequently and always need to refer to the instructions to get them talking to one another.

2. The transmitter range is so-so in my house (wood frame, two stories). The receiver loses touch with the transmitter if I take it more than a room away from the kitchen. It would be nice if it worked all around the house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 19, 2005
Mobile in Arizona (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I too have experienced some trouble with this unit. The first probe that I had did not work from the beginning out of the box. It would cause a readout on the digital display of "HHH" meaning it was too hot for the thermometer to handle. The probe was at room temperature so I was fairly certain that wasn't the case. After contacting the manufacturer I was sent a new probe.

When I got the new probe, I was excited that I was able to get temperature readings other than "HHH" I thought I was in business and the unit was working. I was then disappointed after some experimenting to realize that the temperature that it was displaying was 10-15 degrees above the actual temperature as tested with another thermometer as well as common sense. Obviously a cooking probe that is off by such a large margin is not very helpful.

Overall I would NOT reccomend this product. I am online now searching for a replacement which I have not found yet. Sorry I don't have a better option, although I'm sure there is one out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Goodness!, January 1, 2008
I bought this remote thermometer to use with my Weber Smoker and can't be thankful enough! Let me start by saying that I read all the reviews and was very skeptical when purchasing this device due to other users complaints. I usually use a Polder probe thermometer to measure the temps when smoking but the only way to check it was to go outside, and I found that I was constantly running in and out. I decided to smoke two large pork shoulders on New's Years Eve night starting around 6pm and ending at around noon on New Years Day for a total of about 17 or 18 hours. Let me say I was not chained to my smoker one bit. I was able to enjoy my evening from inside while constantly monitoring temps. I kept it on my night stand and set the alarm to go off if the temps got too high. Needless to say it was around 35 degrees outside, very windy and then it began to snow very hard. I cannot praise this little device enough and it worked flawlessy. I was able to stay warm inside and only had to go outside a few times to add a little more charcoal and turn the roasts. For the price you cannot beat the convienence this thermometer offers. It was also very easy to figure out and use. Hopefully this will last many more smokes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not The 2-Probe I Thought I Was Ordering, But Still Good!, July 8, 2004
Charles Robinson (Southern Maryland) - See all my reviews
Amazon was sold out of the ET-7 2-probe thermometer. But when I saw the ET-72 for sale, I added it to my shopping cart and ordered it without checking for how many probes it had. When I got it, I was disappointed that it only had one probe. BUT...
The first thing I noticed was that the temperature read 77 degrees - the exact temperature of the room I was in. So much for it being 15 degrees off, as reported in another review. Just to make sure, I put the probe in my mouth (oh yes I did!) and the temp read 99 degrees. (If it had read 114 degrees, I would have passed out.) So the thermometer really works!
I haven't cooked with it yet, but I am sure that it will read the temp of my food perfectly. And yes, I will sanitize the probe before I use it on the food. :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, while it works, June 1, 2006
I had this about 2 years.

I liked the functionality BUT about 1 year into it one probe quit working (it was the probe, not the plug or transmitter. The problem followed the probe).

Then a second year and the unit quit altogether (could have been the second probe).

You know, something with a two year life is ok BUT I only probably had 20 hours of use on this thing. That isn't reasonable for the money I spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and accurate, March 7, 2006
L. Zar (Northbrook, IL) - See all my reviews
After using this at least twice a week for over two years, I can confidently report that it works very well. I use it exclusively with my grill to monitor the internal temperature (not the food temperature) without having to open the lid. Very handy, especially when starting up the fire or doing slow bar-b-que. The range is a bit short (less than 30 feet through one wall), but the accuracy is right on. And the probe seems to withstand temperatures in excess of 500 degrees (although the range is limited to 410).

I did find that removing the batteries from the base unit after using significantly extends their life (the remote has a power switch). I've never had a problem with communication if I follow this approach: first re-install the batteries in base unit, then turn the remote ON. Easy to remember.

It would be nice if the communication distance was longer and the temperature range higher, but it has been indispensible and reliable. That warning beep has saved me many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product works like a charm, November 29, 2004
I have used the two probe version everytime I have grilled out for about a year, I also use it for meats in the oven. The thermometer works great, meats come out perfectly every time as long as I get the probe in the middle of the meat. I was a little worried that this was a gimmick and would not work or it would be cheap, but it is really a solid product.

If I have to point out one weakness, I would say that the 100' range is optimistic. I use it about 40 feet from my grill through 1 wall. Any further and it stops updating the temperature.

RediCheck Remote Cooking Thermometer w/Taste Settings