5.0 out of 5 stars Effective Learning and Practice Aid
Published 18 months ago by Mark T Hatasaka

It's not really small enough to use inside unless you are in a really large space with high ceilings. Honestly, I think you are better off just getting a practice leader for your actual fly rod and practising with that since you'll most likely have to be outside anyway. That said, if you're going to use it as a game around camp or something, it would be great.
Published 12 days ago by Ryan Haack

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective Learning and Practice Aid, March 14, 2013
Mark T Hatasaka (Menlo Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redington Form Game Fly Rod (Misc.)
About once every 5 years I tag along with my dad on one of his frequent fly fishing trips, and every single time I end-up having to relearn fly-casting the hard, slow, frustrating, and embarrassingly clumsy way. Last year the lodge had one of those practice rods that uses affixed yarn for the line--fun and informative, but quite different from a real fly line, and limited as a consequence. When I first saw the Redington Form Game Fly Rod, I immediately foresaw some major practice advantages of its real fly line over yarn. Based on this, I took the plunge.

The night I received the Redington, I found a Youtube instructional video on double-hauling in which the guide recommended practicing the fundamental down-up, down-up motion without a rod. I did this, and early the next morning took the Redington out back to give it a try. To my surprise, within 10 minutes I had the basic double-hauling motion down, and in less than 30 minutes my fly-casting skills improved more than they had in the previous 30 years. I'm now working on smoothing out my casts, and transitioning back to a real fly rod. Progress on both fronts has been remarkably fast. Bottom line, the realism and effectiveness of the Redington Form Game Fly Rod is superb. It totally does what it promises.

One minor downside: my casting speed, power, and distance improved so much that I was firing the line into trees and shrubs at both ends of the yard. I should have moved to the local park to do this, but I was having too much fun, and as a consequence, the yarn fly that came with the rod was shredded into oblivion within the first half-hour (the setup still works without the yarn fly).

Two things are great and unique about this practice rod. First, the zero-setup time means you can fit maybe 75-100 practice casts in a 15-minute break, and all that practice translates into getting good in a hurry. Second, the compact formfactor promotes form and control. For example, the compactness of the Redington allows me to cast down a narrow walkway between my house and shed that's covered and surrounded by numerous plant and manmade obstacles. It takes a light double-haul cast with perfect control to lay a 30-foot loop into the middle of this walkway, and I'm getting to where I can do it near 100% of the time. With a full-size rod, most such practice challenges in and around my yard are just not viable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice practice tool., August 14, 2013
This review is from: Redington Form Game Fly Rod (Misc.)
I own the Orvis casting aide, and I would say after getting this form practice rod which is a little longer, that I prefer this one over the Orvis practicaster. First and foremost,
the practice rod is around 8-9 inches longer, it uses a real fly line with an integrated tapered leader. The difference here is that the Reddington actually has fly line on it, making it a little more realistic and there is a whole 30 feet of Rio line. The Orvis Practicaster uses almost like a yarn material for the fly line and another type of yard to act as a leader. I learned the hard way that if you get the Orvis yarn/fly-line stuck it kinda frays, making it harder to use altogether. It wont "shoot" nearly as much as the Reddington Form rod. My only gripe about it would be the handle, with rods that thin I like the cigar of half-wells. This does have a fine grip but it doesnt resemble the grip on my fly rods as much. Other than that the instructions with games you can play is pretty cool. I had thought about using the Orvis(which I bought first) to hit empty cans on the yard or on a ledge but never did. I like the creativity that Reddington and Rio teamed up to create. Overall I would without a doubt say this is a better Practice casting aide than the Orvis or the Echo practice fly rod casting aides. All of these three products I would be careful about casting it on concrete, I've ruined expensive fly lines like this and I bet that would happen to this, but not as bad as the Orvis as the yarn sometimes "sticks" to the sidewalk and frays more. Overall, this is the best Practice casting rod on the market in my opinion, most definetely due to the length of the fly line and the rod itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Rod, August 9, 2013
Paul T. Ushijima (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had the Redington Form Game Rod for one day and am very happy with it overall. After practicing with the rod for a couple of hours outdoors I can see where the yarn fly might not last forever (as another reviewer stated), but it should be easy enough to replace.

The only problem I experienced was unconsciously letting the fly line go on a cast. The line promptly shot through all the guides and needed to be restrung. I have now "nail-knotted" a short piece of backing onto the back end of the fly line. I then tied a loop on the backing so that I can hold the loop with a finger on my casting hand. If I were really fishing I would anchor the line somewhere else.

Now I can really see the line and leader flying through the air, pointing out what I need to work on. Just what I was looking for. You will need more clear area than I have in my back yard to both back and forward cast at the same time (remember that there is 30ft of practice line). Roll casting seems to work fine on concrete and grass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practice and relaxing, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Redington Form Game Fly Rod (Misc.)
I got this as a birthday present and I've loved it. I was dubious as to whether it would actually be a real practice aid in how it would cast, but it really does cast like a proportionally larger rod. It has helped me with tightening my loops and I'm able to do it in a much smaller area. I've read they are great for indoors, but it would have to be pretty open with at least 10ft ceilings. But you can easily use it in a small back yard. You can feel the rod load and roll out a real loop and double haul in less than 20 feet of distance. If using a full sized rod you need at least 30-40 feet. But a 20 foot cast with this rod feels like casting 60 feet with my 6wt.
I've also found it's great for relieving stress and relaxing after work. If I had a place to use it at lunch I would.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think you are better off just getting a practice leader for your actual ..., September 4, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars quick and simple way to work on casting that goes anywhere, June 15, 2014
Thomas Murphy (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Nice little package that is easy to use, just a length of line and a 4' single piece rod, you thread the line through the guides and are ready to go. At this size the feel and timing are different but Redington has done a nice job of building a well balanced outfit and it is a reasonable thing to take to a scout meeting to teach the basic concepts, to just have in the office for when you need a break from the desk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun., May 25, 2014
This little guy is really cool and a lot of fun. It's really too big to use inside my living room/kitchen. You need a long room without any items in front of you to be able to use this inside. My dog loves to chase the yarn "fly" and I've caught her on the end of my line more than a few times! This particular practice rod is cool to me because it uses real fly line and feels just like my real fly rod. The first one came in 4 pieces instead of two thanks to USPS, but the seller shipped a new one right away, along with a return label for the broken one. Great customer service on their part!

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality!, August 25, 2014
Very nice for a practice rod! Operates just like a full size fly rod. Hopefully this will improve my casting accuracy and technique. Would be 5 stars if there was a simulated reel or a weight to keep the rod from turning after a few casts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rod, February 6, 2014
Great product! Little rod loads well and casts beautifully! It honestly has improved my cast, really taught me to slow down my stroke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practice rod!, January 9, 2014
If you love to fly fish this is an excellent thing to have lying around. Great to practice your double haul with or just fool around with the buddies. Excellent purchase and as always Amazon had it to me fast and at a great price.

Redington Form Game Fly Rod