VINE VOICEon April 23, 2011
To start off, I am a competitive runner who runs 40-60 miles a week, ranging from sprints to long distance. I saw a commercial for these shoes and thought the same thing that a lot of people probably thought: "Oh boy, Reebok is just trying to make a pathetic attempt to imitate the Nike Free TR Fit Womens' Sneaker Style# 429785-400." The commercial was well put together, so I decided to research these shoes and quickly discovered that making these shoes was no easy task. It was apparent that Reebok hired experts to design the shoes and put a hefty amount of time into making sure that these shoes were safe for running on trails, concrete, and any other surface that running would have to endure.

I have never owned a pair of Nike Free Runs or any shoe that is so low to the ground. Before the Realflex shoes, I ran in a pair of Nike Zoom Victory+, which allowed for an easy transition into these shoes because both are very lightweight. I have owned five pairs of them so these were the first different pair of training shoes that I have bought in about two years.

I went to a local store to learn more about these shoes. The store had a sample pair sitting outside for viewing and to examine the shoe. As seen in many of the pictures, the Realflex shoe is very flexible and can be bent to form a full circle, which I didn't really understand the purpose of at first. I have never owned a pair of Nike Free Runs or any shoe that is low to the ground quite like these. The Realflex boasts of a shoe with ample comfort yet lower to the ground than any shoe in its class, allowing for a more natural run. I had a salesperson get me a pair of the Realflex shoes, and half of a size lower than my actual foot size turned out to be the right fit. My first thought was "Wow, these shoes give something back!" I've never tired on a pair of shoes that felt like they've had anywhere near as much spring as these. I jogged around the store and the shoes felt simply amazing. The flexibility of the shoes can really be noticed when standing on ones toes, so these shoes are great for both sprinting (on the toes), or easy distance (midfoot or heel).

The only reason why I didn't give these shoes a five star rating concerns the heel of the shoe. The part of the shoe where the Achilles Tendon meets the shoe has a ripple in the fabric. I asked for another pair and it had the same problem, so I assume that most, if not all, of the Realflex shoes have this flaw. Luckily, the ripple flattened out in about 4 hours of wearing and was no problem at all. If you go to the store and feel the same problem in the heel, I urge you to ignore it any buy the shoes anyway, knowing that it will subside in no time at all.

Now I understand that everybody is not a hardcore runner, but I do think that this shoe is beneficial for just about anybody that runs. A runner who puts in a lot of miles each week will appreciate this shoe because it is lightweight and a comfortable shoe. On the other hand, a moderate runner will appreciate this shoe because they're not luggin around an extra 8oz on each foot, which is the actual weight of some of the heavier running shoes.

To conclude, this shoe is a great deal. For a relatively low price, you are purchasing some of the most advanced technology in any running shoe ever created. This shoe is great for just about any runner, and provides great cushioning and flexibility for the runner. My advice to you is this: buy this shoe!!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2011
First let me say that I am not a runner. My exercise regimen is consists twelve hour shifts on a busy floor at the hospital every week. I have worn nursing shoes, tennis shoes, clogs, you name it....any brand, anything that seems like a good shoe. Recently I have been exclusively using a Dansko Clog for work and I have noticed a heaviness in my feet and ankles after working. I set out to replace my work shoes.....again. Went to several shoe stores and tried on nearly everything they had to offer and I never had that "AHA, this is the shoe" moment until my husband dug out my size in the Reebok Realflex and sat me down to try them on. So glad I did. I laced them up, stood up, and had my "AHA" moment. These shoes have been on my feet while working the halls for 16 twelve hour shifts and I have absolutely no complaints.

Things I LOVE about this shoe:
The tongue is very thin so I don't have to lace too tightly to get a snug fit.
The material around the toes/forefoot is very moveable so my toes are free to wiggle.
My forefoot area (base of the toes) is very wide (think Flintstone feet) and the material does not encumber that area.
The soles are highly shock absorbent (I tend to stomp when I walk) so the soles of my feet do not take any abuse.
I did not have to break them in at all! They were perfect from the moment I put them on in the store.

Cannot say enough great things about this shoe. Sizing: I bought a half size up (Flintstone feet) and have had no issues with rubbing, stretching, or blistering.

Anyone working long hours on your feet.....this is the shoe for us!
on April 27, 2011
How do I love thee, let me count the ways... Okay, I realize I'm talking about SHOES here, but that's how I feel. Is it possible to instantly fall in love with a pair of shoes? Well if Carrie Bradshaw can feel that way about a pair of Jimmy Choos, I guess a person can get emotional about some Reeboks. Before buying these I had purchased a pair of New Balance that had very good reviews and I've heard they're supposed to be a good brand. When I got them I noticed they were hard to put on and although technically they fit me, they also felt like lead weights attached to my feet. I returned them. So when I saw the tv commerical for these Reebok Realflex shoes and read some of the reviews on line, I decided to try them. As soon as I put them on I had one of those WOW moments. They were so light and just felt like they were made for my feet. It's like walking on little cushions. I should mention I'm not a runner, I just wanted a pair of great fitting shoes for walking that didn't look orthopedic.

I'm buying a second pair in a different color because when you find shoes you love that fit well and look great, you'll wish you did. You must try these!
on April 22, 2011
I don't normally buy Reebok but I really wanted to try these out.I put these shoes on and it was like i was wearing nothing! So comfortable. Very light and when I run on the treadmill in these I run an extra 15 min. more than I usually do! I would recommend them to everyone. They look really cute on...I got the gray and green ones.
on July 12, 2011
Bought the Reebok Realflex at a local retail store and used them for about a weekend. They are light and comfortable and had very good cushioning(insoles) for the heel. I've used it with and without socks and there hasn't been an issue with chafing in the heel or anywhere else. The downside, if you're new to "barefoot" shoes or prosethically designed athletic shoes be prepared to feel the soreness in your ankles. On the first day of "breaking in" the shoes my ankles were killing me for two days. Just be sure to take your time with them.

Athletic background: I've been cross training and weight lifting for about two years and have used the same athletic shoes since college (6 years ago). I just decided to buy these shoes because I recently learned the advantages of proper shoes for certain activitities and because I realized (the hard way) that my shoes lost most of it's treading/grip (it was practically bald). I don't run long distances (< 3 miles) so my opinion about these being good running shoes might be partial; however, I know a thing or two about what's good for your body ;)

Realflex vs. Nike Free's: When I decided to invest in better athletics shoes I simply narrowed it down to these two shoes simply based on popularity, reviews, versatility, and friends' opinions. I also didn't want to spend more that a Benjamin on REALLY good and properly fitting running shoes (Asics, Saucony, New Balance, etc.) because I don't run much. I tried both shoes on and hopped, skipped, walked, and jogged around the store on two different ocassions with two different friends and two different sales associates (for opinions) before purchasing one (a bit OCD? yes). The issue I had with the Nike Free's was the form it MADE you run. I underpronate as a runner, a little of a heel striker, and I have medium/low arch height. The Frees' insole's had supportive cushioning at the heel but close to none at the ball of the foot. I suppose to promote proper running on the ball of your foot with a mid foot strike in your run, but forcing a change in one's form can be costly to the joints, muscles, foot, and can lead to serious injury. The Reebok Realflex has very equal and supportive cushioning throughtout the sole of with more than enough arch support, which I feel is more versatile. The Realflex can accomodate people who overpronate or underpronate in their stride because the sole is designed to move "naturally" with whoever uses it. On the same note, the Nike Free's sole wedges out wider than the shoe or the footprint is wider than the actual width of the shoe; in other words, the sole is shaped like a trapezoid (I'm hoping this is understood) which again makes it hard for someone like me who underpronates to run the way I do, "naturally". The Realflexs' sole isn't shaped like that (looks a bit convexed) and accomodates my natural stride. Lastly, the sole grip on the Realflex is actually better/stronger than the Nike Free's (this I tested at the store both times with the sales associates there to justify). The great grip on the Realflex is advantageous for tennis, racket ball, or running "suicides" on the bball court (which I hate, but is great cardio).

Hope this helps! Happy shopping ;)
on August 12, 2011
I purchased these shoes the night BEFORE I ran in my first 5k race in over a year. I've been training for a while, and the shoes I was running in were far overdue for replacement. On my last training run before the race, The sole fell apart and I was forced to purchase a new pair. I had been eyeing these up for a while, so I went to my nearest sports store and tried them on, along with some others for comparision. I highly recommend trying them on first, espeically if you are a half size.
I was really nervous about running a race in brand new shoes, but I sucked it up. I was comfortable with them the whole race, and ran a new personal best in them! My feet felt great during and after, and I have since been training for additional races in them, and plan on running in them for my first half-marathon in December.
I love these shoes, they are light and comfortable. If you have weak ankles, I would suggest running in a brace, since they are light and the support around the ankle is minimal.
They are great for any surface, and I've used them on pavement, dirt and gravel.
If you are waivering, or unsure, please let me help: BUY THESE SHOES!
on May 3, 2011
I love these shoes! I usually run 20 -25 miles a week and am training for my first half marathon since January. I've been running in the Nike free shoes and was looking for a shoe that had more cushion for pounding on the concrete. At first I went into the store looking for these under armor shoes I had seen in Shape magazine, but the salesperson automatically recommended the Reebok Realflex for running. I fell in love once the shoes were put on my feet! They're amazing and on my first run with them I felt the difference right away. It gives a lot more cushioning at the front of your feet and your heels for those downhill runs and they're very light weight. I would definitely recommend if you're looking for something with more cushion than the Nike Free but just as light.
on January 25, 2012
I bought the Realflex shoe for Zumba after being in agonizing pain with the Nike Musique Dance shoe that was recommended for Zumba. With the Nike's I wore them two times and both times I barely made it through the class without ripping them off my feet. I would get in my car and immediately take them off. I have never had such pain from a shoe. So after reading up on the Realflex I decided to check them out and give them a try. I literally had nothing to lose. I love them. They sit below my ankles so they are not confining, stiff or bulky. They have a lot of mesh in them so your feet stay cool and maintains excellent flexibility and movement. There is zero stiffness. They slide GREAT on hardwood which is so important when doing Zumba. I have to admit I was a little skeptical about how they would slide because of all the individual squares on the sole but they slide as good or better than the Musique. The shoe fits around your foot like it was made for it. I don't think I have ever had a sneaker that fit so well and was so comfortable at the same time. They are also so light, which is perfect for Zumba with all the fast foot work and change ups that go on. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. The price is a bit steep, around $100.00 but you do get what you pay for. There is nothing worse than working out in a bad shoe.
on November 27, 2011
I have to preface this review by saying that I am a true minimalist runner. For most of the last year, I have run and raced almost every weekend in my Merrell Pace Gloves, a true zero heel differential shoe. The Pace Gloves are near and dear to my heart. I started, however, wanting some different styles and colors that Merrell just didn't offer. Wanting to stick to a minimalist type shoe, I bought a pair of Saucony Kinvara 2s. These have a 4 mm heel lift, and are great for mixing it up a bit. Because of the low heel, I would also consider this a minimal shoe. There is a little area on the Kinvaras, however, that continues to rub the top of my foot the wrong way.

Now on to the Reebok RealFlex. I bought these shoes in the standard black. To be honest, I'm a bit of a stickler about my shoes actually matching what I'm wearing when I'm running, and I had no plain black running shoes. (KInd of embarrassing, but yes, fashion does matter...hehe.) I would NOT consider these a true minimal shoe. The 11 mm heel lift is quite different from your Merrells or NB Minimus. But, for what it is, it's a great shoe. The design of the shoe does encourage a forefoot landing. I think these will be a good shoe to lower forefoot jarring on the treadmill. They are supercomfortable and lightweight. I like the thin tongue. As other reviewers mentioned, it does collect some gravel while running on trails.

The area where you can tell a big difference is in downhill running. While a true minimalist shoe forces you to change your posture or possibly even slow down while running downhill, the RealFlex forces a heel landing. If I was running Bay to Breakers in San Francisco, with lots of downhill, I probably wouldn't wear these shoes. Personal preference, but I'd prefer good form over heel striking from overcushioning. But for an everyday, fairly level to mildly hilly running surface, I think these still encourage enough of a forefoot landing that they'll work well.

For the $68 that I paid for them at a recent sale at a sporting goods store, they are well worth the money. The Reebok RealFlex or the Saucony Kinvaras are both great transition shoes for those wanting to transition to a true minimalist style. I plan on continuing to race in my Merrell Pace Gloves, but I'll wear these to lessen impact on the treadmill, or just for running about town with some jeans.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2011
I bought these from a local shoe store for slightly more than what is being offered here. I asked for a walking shoe and was given these and of course I wasn't paying attention to the box which said "running shoe." Well, don't let all those running fanatics fool you. This is a great walking shoe.

I'm kind of old (well, OK, I'm old) but I walk a lot. I also have an ankle that likes to twist on me. For some reason, I feel more balanced in these shoes and am able to recover quicker from pot holes and sidewalk cracks. I don't know why. They are very light weight. They seem to be very sturdy as well. But, sturdy or not, I've put another pair on my wish list for future purchase when mine begin to wear.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations