Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

80%
20%
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 27, 2012
I've collected comic books over a couple of decades, and Reed Gunther is one of the best "all ages" comic books that I've ever read. Entertaining, fun, comical at times....with a decent story plot and good writing & artwork.

Reed, Sterling (his best friend, and also a bear), & Starla have "wild west" fun fighting monsters, giant snakes, and an "evil" businessman....which all leads them to New York City!

Every Chapter leaves a smile on your face and chuckling under your breath as you shout "Pickled Beets!", etc. I now collect this series regularily.
on August 1, 2012
Reason for Reading: Just my kind of mix! Western, humour and monsters advertised as an all ages romp! Just had to see what this was all about.

Reed Gunther is pure cowboy! He wants nothing but to roam the western wilderness making himself useful, helping out any poor maiden in distress and riding his faithful steed wherever they may roam. Things are not quite so ordinary for Reed though. His faithful steed just happens to be a huge grizzly bear named Sterling, who can't talk but can understand Reed. Reed finds a person of the female persuasion to help out but a maiden in distress she is not as she comes out hacking with a sword trying to get him off her land. They do reach an amicable agreement though and if Reed can remember that this lady is one of the guys they'll get along just fine, finer than fine, and roaming the wild west turns out to be more dangerous than a cowboy could have thought when one must fight against mole men, zombies, giant snakes, and many weird monsters.

Written a bit like a tall tale both Reed and Sterling seem to have the strength and agility beyond that of a normal man and grizzly, add in Starla, the female rancher, and she's an equal match for the macho duo. This is a fun romp that really does manage to cross age boundaries; there is nothing inappropriate for the younger audience and yet the story and plot are real and intense for a more mature audience. There is humour to be appreciated by all and personally I had a rip-roaring good time with this entire graphic. I loved all three main characters and trying to decide on a favourite makes me unable to pick one over the other. The trio is entirely delightful. I can't wait to read the second volume which will finish up the conclusion of this mini comic series.
on May 17, 2013
Pickled beets this was a great story. I knew from the moments I came across Reed Gunther that I was going to love this comic. So I read Volume 1, and it didn't disappoint. I thought art work fits perfectly with the style of the story. They both meld together so well that you get lost in the world of Reed Gunther. I highly enjoyed the intertwining relationships between Reed, Sterling, and Starla. I definitely will be keeping this on my shelf for a long time to come. For those who thought this book looked to kiddy I reckon you take a better look, because you would be missing out on what heck of a comic. Now on to Vol 2.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2012
I'm a fan of weird western stories, so I was all over REED GUNTHER, VOLUME 1: THE BEAR-RIDING COWBOY when it was released. Shane & Chris Houghton's cowboy hero is a great all-ages creation, and by all-ages, I mean a great story that anyone can enjoy, not "A kid's book that an adult could read, if he had no taste at all." Reed and his Bear sidekick, Sterling, befriend a tough-as-nails cowgirl, Starla, and end up traveling cross-country trying to retrieve a magical amulet that can create monsters. The art and story work in perfect harmony, and I was reminded of, at various points in the story, the work of Jeff Smith, Guy Davis, Carl Barks, and Mike Mignola. That's high praise......REED GUNTHER is a cross between GROO and USAGI YOJIMBO, with liberal amounts of HELLBOY and BONE thrown in for good measure. I absolutely LOVED this book, and I'm counting the days until the next volume.
on April 26, 2015
Reed Gunther is clever, exciting, warm-hearted and laugh-out-loud funny. This series is a favorite of my entire family. We've already worn out one copy.