5.0 out of 5 stars A True Soft Drink
Do you like ginger? Are you aware of it's health-giving qualities? Ginger has been shown to settle the digestion, to act as an anti-inflammatory, and may even shrink tumors and inhibit cancer cells. I've seen this specific product recommended in various articles on Naturopathic health. It TASTES healthy. It tastes great, too.

Ginger Beer (as opposed to Ginger...
Published on November 1, 2010 by Konrei

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - not Ginger beer!
This review is for the Diet variety of Reed's. Advertised as Jamaican style - but is not. Hardly has any ginger flavor. Jamaican ginger beer is brewed, this is not - the base being pineapple juice! Tastes more like lemonade. The diet variety contains 15 grams of sugar because of the pineapple juice - so if you are looking for a low sugar drink, this is not for you...
Published 6 months ago by Penmaven

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Soft Drink, November 1, 2010
Konrei "Everything I need is right here" (Boca Raton, Florida and Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)

Ginger Beer (as opposed to Ginger Ale) is loaded with ginger. And it's rarely more loaded with ginger than here in REED'S EXTRA GINGER BREW---At 26 grams per bottle, you can practically SEE the ginger in it. It has a lot of ginger "bite."

Unlike the soft drink megacorporations which produce a tasteless and overly fizzy sugar water they label as "Ginger Ale", Reed's microbrews it's soft drinks in a process similar to that used by a beer microbrewery. There is no alcohol in REED'S EXTRA GINGER BREW. 25% of REED's EXTRA is fruit juice, part of which contributes to the sugar content, which is comparable to other sodas. REED'S should be a treat, not a substitute for water.

REED'S GINGER BREW comes in three varieties, ORIGINAL, PREMIUM, and EXTRA. The amount of ginger increases with each variety (It's a little odd that PREMIUM has less ginger than EXTRA). The labels are similar so check carefully to decide which variety you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Ginger Brews Reviewed Together, June 14, 2014
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
I'm going to take the liberty of reviewing two products together, so you can evaluate them side by side. This review includes Reed's Ginger Beer and Ginger People Ginger Beer, which, let me stress, are NOT essentially the same product. It isn't like Coke and Pepsi, where the difference is too insignificant for any but the most exacting palates. These two ginger beers are very different, and what you want in your beverage will make a considerable difference.

Comparing the ingredients lists on the two packages, Ginger People is certainly the more straightforward of the two. With only four ingredients versus Reed's eight, Ginger People has the more straightforward recipe, including water, sugar, ginger juice, and citric acid. No wonder many health food stores carry Ginger People. Reed's has a more complicated recipe, including cane sugar, honey, various juices, and "spices," a listing too inclusive and ambiguous to mean much.

The result is that Reed's tastes sweeter. Because it's sweetened with sugar, honey, and juices, it doesn't have the kind of flaming intensity that makes many people, especially small kids, hate ginger snaps. It tastes more like a regular soda, making it a decent option for people who haven't encountered ginger before. It's like a starter flavor. They boast having 26 grams of ginger per bottle, but according the the label, they have 37 grams of sugar per bottle, no small quantity. A comparable quantity of Mountain Dew has only 23 grams of sugar.

This difference results in two very different-looking beverages. Reed's is transparent, with a slightly greenish hue, like 7-Up, while Ginger People is slightly cloudy. That is, Reed's looks like a soda-pop, while Ginger People looks like some kind of health beverage. Though I know nothing about how either beverage is made, Reed's is clearly more processed, more of a mass-market soda beverage, while Ginger People is closer to the ginger. Honestly, I like Ginger People better.

But not everybody will agree with me. Ginger People, being less sweetened, and that only with sugar, has a more intense ginger burn. It's like drinking a bottle of dissolved pure ginger. (When I say "less sweetened," it's still very sugar-intensive, with 36 grams per bottle.) Not everybody will enjoy something so intense; people who drink soda for the mass-manufactured soothing predictability, or for the quick hit of caffeine and sugar, could find Ginger People overwhelming. (Both these beverages are caffeine-free; I like one to chase my medications before bed.)

Let me finish by saying, whichever beverage you prefer, they're both weirdly expensive on the Internet. Ginger People amortizes to over $2 per bottle, and Reed's to $1.45, more than either costs in terrestrial stores, and that's before shipping. If you live in the Alaskan wilderness and need anything more elaborate than caribou jerky flown in, maybe that's reasonable. But for something this non-specialized, shop locally. These online prices are highway robbery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
This ginger beer is really good. It is not as aromatic as some of the others which is one of the reasons I like it. I usually buy it for about a dollar a piece at the local grocery store. Can't beat that anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRATITUDE, September 4, 2011
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
This item was a gift for a relative. They were so overjoyed that I was showered with compliments. Now that we have the order straight I expect to conduct further business with Amazon in the future. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, My! A Fine Soft Drink!, March 14, 2012
Gary Peterson (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
I've had "ginger ale" as a soft drink off and on throughout my life, both the regular and the diet varieties. It was okay. Then I spotted Reed's Extra Ginger Brew (all natural Jamaican Ginger Beer) in my local Fresh and Easy Neighborhood Market. What is this, I wondered? Well, looked it over and decided I just had to try it. Oh, my! It was good! Really good! It was so superior to the "ginger ales" I've had that there was just no comparison. And this drink tasted like real ginger and it was good and strong! Boy, this is a fine soft drink. A bottle has just about the same calories as regular soda and I note 37 grams of sugar. I'm going to have to watch it. This stuff goes down so easy!

Gary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe this isn't a 5/5 on Amazon, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
Trader Joe's consistently has the best price on this, barely under $1/bottle. This has got to be about my favorite beverage. I am surprised to see any negative reviews. This does not taste like Ginger Beer. Ginger beer has more bite and is very sugary. This is much more refreshing, but it also has a bite, not much, but enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Natural Herbally Tonic, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
I have always loved ginger, especially when I have an upset stomach. I have found that a couple of soft hunks of good candied ginger can alleviate almost any stomach upset. A few weeks ago I got into a real bind; a medical procedure left me with an almost constant feeling of queasiness that was going to last at least a couple of weeks until it was reversed. Medicinal marijuana was out because the munchies would be torture on a clear liquid diet. And since I could ingest only clear liquids, I had to cut down on my candied ginger chomping. My doctor prescribed some drug they give to chemotherapy patients, and that barely helped. I saw some Reed's at Trader Joe's and tried it out.

I like the herbally taste. It's not "hot" like other small label ginger concoctions I've tried (and I liked the hotness!) but it settled my stomach. When I went to get more, they were out of the Reed's and I tried another brand that tasted good, but didn't settle my stomach as well. The Extra Ginger Brew had the right amount of ginger for a real herbal taste without overpowering. I'm not a big fan of the pineapple juice notes, but the honey is near perfect. I'd totally recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Offering From the Virgil's/ Reed's Brewing Company!, October 24, 2014
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
This stuff is AWESOME!!! It gives you the feeling that you're a fire-breathing dragon when you feel the extra ginger kick it imparts flare through your nostrils, it really makes you feel alive! There are 3 types of this Reed's ginger beer... there is the Original, the Regular, and the Extra ginger, which is this one... there is also the diet one but I don't do diet so let's not get into that. This one, the one with Extra Ginger is the best IMO because it really has a strong, VERY STRONG ginger content to it that really, really tastes good on a cold summer day and it brings out the flavor to it. The drink itself is a little on the sweet side so it's important to have that unique ginger taste so that it could be balanced so all-in-all it's a great drink. You owe it to yourself to try this drink, you'll be glad you did. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sell this at the best prices I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Drink also Settles Stomach, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
Reed's Ginger Beer has a wonderful ginger bite for anyone; however, I recommend it highly for people who have nausea. People who are taking chemotherapy find it keeps nausea at bay. It has a settling effect on upset stomachs. A unique and delightful drink!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper in the store, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ) (Misc.)
Great product but I would not buy this through Amazon. $56 for a case is twice what you would pay at Trader Joe's. $4/4pack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Reed'S Ginger Beer Extra Ginger Brew ( 6x4/12 OZ)
$42.58 $42.00
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.