5.0 out of 5 stars This product works great!
This product worked just great. It lasted a long time, and prevented burning; but best of all it is the responsible and caring thing to do when it comes to our oceans and lakes.
Published on November 12, 2012 by Karen Shilka

1.0 out of 5 stars Not "Reef Safe"
DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE DIVING/SNORKELING/SWIMMING IN REEFS!!!
This product is NOT safe for corals (will cause coral bleaching)!

Published 17 months ago by Talia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not "Reef Safe", June 8, 2013
This review is from: Reef Safe Biodegradable Waterproof SPF 45+ Sunscreen Lotion (Misc.)
DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE DIVING/SNORKELING/SWIMMING IN REEFS!!!
This product is NOT safe for corals (will cause coral bleaching)!

Being a soon-to-be marine ecologist, I wanted a sunscreen that would be SAFE FOR REEFS. Especially since I was going to be scuba diving in the already-degraded Caribbean reefs. Unfortunately, I ordered two bottles of this only to get them in the mail and realize that they ARE NOT reef safe.

This sunscreen contains 6.0% OXYBENZONE as an active ingredient. For those that do not know, oxybenzone is a chemical know to harm the fragile coral that composed reefs and it is suspected to have very negative health aspects.
It also contains 7.5% OCTINOXATE, another compound known to have harmful effects on corals and people.

The "reef-safe" test only is for fish NOT for corals (i.e. they tested this product on animals to determine whether or not it would kill the fish). While fish are important in a reef ecosystem, corals are much more sensitive to disturbances.

I will never buy this sunscreen again and I am quite appalled that they are trying to market it as something specifically for people that want to protect reefs and are looking for "earth-friendly" products! Stick with safer zinc-based sunscreen people! I, personally, will be going to go with Badger sunscreen from now on (http://www.badgerbalm.com/s-35-coral-reef-safe-sunscreen.aspx).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sunscreen, but..., June 6, 2013
When we visited an "ecopark" in Mexico (Yal-ku Lagoon in Maya Riviera area) they reviewed at the ingredients on the bottle and would not permit us to use it in the park and we had to shower off before we could enter the water. Where we could use the product, it did seem to offer good protection.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for Mexico, August 1, 2013
This product is not allowed in parks in Mexico,harms the reefs.The spray contains oxybenzone, octinoxate both banded at parks.The name Reef Safe is misleading, ok for fish but not coral.Was ok as sun screen at pools.Cost more to return that its worth.You need a bio safe product such as,(Mexitan, Badger, Corral Safe, Carrribean Solutions brands). First time for bad review ever,

1.0 out of 5 stars Turns out it's not coral safe!, August 14, 2013
How can they call it reef safe when it contains ingredients that are harmful to coral? I feel I was duped.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purposely mis-leading name, **NOT** reef safe!, January 29, 2014
There are four typical sunscreen ingredients known to cause bleaching of reefs, they are:

Oxybenzone (benzophenone-3)
Butylparaben
Octinoxate
4-methylbenzylidene camphor

This product contains two of these ingredients, as indicated by the MSDS here:

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This product works great!, November 12, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Has parabens, July 27, 2013
Angel (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't know until I saw the ingredient list after I purchased and received the item. I should have paid more attention to the other reviews... I did not even use this sunscreen because it has ingredients that I'm trying to avoid. I won't buy this again. It has Octinoxate, Octisalate, Oxybenzone, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, and Propylparaben.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains benzene, promotes viral infections in reef systems. Not reef safe., May 3, 2014
Sunscreens containing benzene derivatives are not reef safe. You will not be allowed to take this into many water parks around the world and should not wear it around reef systems.

See: Danovaro, Bongioni, Corinaldesi: Sunscreens cause coral bleaching by promoting viral infections. NIH, 2008, PMC2291018.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, June 23, 2014
This sunscreen feels different, and not greasy like most sunscreens. I never got burnt while wearing this product. This being said after a week long trip out in the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never burned, February 28, 2014
CulinarySiren (Ormond Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Very fair skinned and I never burn when using this product. I'm a Reef Safe Sunscreen fan and will be for many years to come. Not only human safe but safe for our environment as well!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›