5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" for snorkelers in the Galapagos, August 5, 2002
David J. Wilson (Belleville, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I took Humann's book on Galapagos reef fish identification on a recent cruise of the islands after reading through it twice. We had the opportunity for lots of snorkeling, and the snorkelers on the trip borrowed my Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos constantly during the entire trip.
The organization of the book (mainly by shape), the superb photographs, the very clear diagrams indicating diagnostic characteristics, and the descriptions make this a very easy book for the layman to use. The coverage appears to be essentially complete; there were very few fish we were unable to identify. Tropical fish often show a great deal of variation, a point that Humann discusses and illustrates as needed. The book also includes information on the ranges and depths at which the fish are likely to be found, which is very helpful.
If you are a snorkeler or scuba diver and are planning a visit to the Galapagos, by all means take a copy of this book. Better yet, take two copies--one to use yourself, and one to loan out, because it will certainly be in demand.
Definitely a "must have" for those who plan to explore the waters of these fascinating islands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, May 17, 1999
By A Customer
Another wonderful book in the Humann/DeLoach series. The photos are amazing and there are simple diagrams to help you distinguish between similar-looking fish. Now if only they'd add a reef creature guide and a reef coral guide specific to the Galapagos...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best available, February 13, 2000
Kai Wulf (Soufriere, St. Lucia) - See all my reviews
There is nothing which can compare to this very visual and consumer friendly reference book. Unique photos, excellent layout and easy recognition of the descibed species make this volume a must for every scuba diver visiting the Galapagos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear photos and summary make identification easy, July 7, 1998
One of the things I liked best about this book was the clear and vivid photos of all the reef fish off the coast of the Galapagos. It made identification easy, and it's easy flip pages made it a perfect traveling guide. If you are planning any reef exploration it's a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars The new 2003 Edition, December 8, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos (Paperback)
I have been waiting for the new edition for about 6 months. Meanwhile I have purchased other Fish Identification books on the Galapagos, and it's true that the format of the Humann/DeLoach books is much more organized - putting all of the information in one place.
I had read in another review here that the new Reef Fish Identification Galapagos book that would come out in late 2003 would also contain Cocos and Malpelo islands. However, after a first scan through this edition, it appears to only cover Galapagos. I was a little disappointed in this - but still give it 5 stars because after all, it is exactly the high quality one would expect from this series. Having Cocos and Malpelo would have been a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch and usable Galapagos fish ID field guide, November 13, 2002
Paul Humann's now out-of-print book is part of an easy-to-use, photo-illustrated series of fish and invertebrate identification books. Information is given to differentiate species, habitat and location, as well as sizes- and often, photos of different color / life phases are shown. Great for snorkellers and divers. Its replacement is not due until late 2003, and then it will cover Cocos and Malpelo Islands as well as the Galápagos Islands. When it arrives, I will undoubtedly give it my highest recommendation, with all the others in the series- well done, Paul and Ned!

For those who want a more in-depth tome, I recommend Jack Grove's "The Fishes of the Galapagos Islands" (Hard, 936 pages, 1.94" x 10.35" x 7.27" , Stanford University Press, 1997; ISBN 0804722897, cost US$130.00) - THE definitive Galápagos fish identification book for those desirous of more comprehensive information, but by its size and price, no lighweight field guide for novices.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book we used, August 1, 2005
This review is from: Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos (Paperback)
I just returned from a week in the Galapagos islands, snorkeling almost every day. Several members of our guided group had various wildlife books, but our guide had this one and for fish it was all we needed and almost all we used. The pictures -- usually three to a page with accompanying text opposite -- are excellent for identification purposes, often showing variants. The notes include distinctive identifying characteristics. I recommend this book unreservedly for anyone planning to snorkel or SCUBA dive in the islands. I bought my copy after returning home because it so nicely encapsulates some of my best memories of the trip, but I wish I'd had it along so that I could have annotated it as the trip progressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galapagos Rule!, May 29, 2000
I bought this book in the Galapagos, not knowing it existed, and it was a great investment. Humann's marine ID books are some of the best I've seen. They are easy to read, and use, there is enough biological data for the more-than-enthusiast diver or snorkeler, and I really enjoyed the species check list in the back of the book. I plann on buying his trio set before my next trip to Florida. If you get the once in a lifetime oppurtunity to visit the Galapagos, buy this book, and have a great trip in one of the worlds most amazing and spiritual places. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The source, June 28, 2004
Carl Warren Gilmore (Woodstock, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Paul Humann is IT when it comes to identification guides. This Galapagos ID book is no exception. It is as complete as they come, the photos are fantastic and the details are right on. Particularly useful are the notes on the abundance of each fish and the location, since so many fish have similar appearances and because the locations can help delineate one fish from another.

I tried a few others. Don't bother, go with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galapagos Diving, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos (Paperback)
No other book brings the underwter world to the surface better. After diving the Galapagos this was the only book that I could use to show friends and family what was seen on an everday basis.

Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos
Reef Fish Identification: Galapagos by Paul Humann (Paperback - October 1, 2003)
$39.95 $29.14