2,116 Reviews
 (1,550)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reef Sandals
Published on July 7, 2008 by Michael D. Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars POS Part 1 and 2
Picked up these about 8 months ago. I researched the REEF's extensively and choose their most "Highly Rated" design ... The Mick Fanning.

Published on October 5, 2011 by surfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Reef Sandals, July 7, 2008
Best sandals i've ever owned in my life. Reef makes top notch sandals, the last pair I had lasted over eight years. I had to buy a new pair because they literally rotted of my feet. They lasted all through the time I was a lifeguard, deployed to the Middel East, and just everyday wear and tear. This new pair feels better, fits great, and just all around meets the expectaions I have of Reef and its products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and fun, but watch out, May 18, 2006
I bought a pair of these sandals in February 2005 and am still wearing them. Like any sandal, they are fun and easy to wear. Just recently I've noticed that the front part of the soles has worn down and they are smooth now. Also the foam bed has started to crack in several places, but for the price I'd say I've gotten reasonable use out of them.

The bottle opener is a great conversation piece. Also rest assured, they do hold up to wear and tear. I was skeptical when I bought these how long they'd stay intact, but I can attest that they are still in and functional... kinda mangled, but still intact and functioning.

Also, if you think you're just gonna swing your leg up and crack open a beer like Mr. Joe Cool, then think again. I remember when I first got these I was at a backyard house party while in San Diego. I was flirting with these two girls, talkin' my game and trying to be smooth. So I grab another beer, and while talking to them, I lift my foot and try to crack the bottle open. Well, between trying to keep my balance and get the lip of the cap in the opener, I apparently shook it up a bit. When I finally did open it, the resulting explosion of foam shot all over me and the two girls. Not cool.

I would suggest taking the sandal off to use the bottle opener feature.

All and all, a great shoe. Fun and easy to wear.

Another tip: Make sure you wash these every so often! Stick 'em in the washing machine. I neglected to do this and developed a nasty case of athlete's foot from them. Just a heads up. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 6, 2009
This review is from: Reef Men's Fanning Sandal (Shoes)
Love these sandals. We received them very quickly and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Bought them for a week at Disney World which involves a lot of walking and my feet were never sore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reef scored another hit w/ the Leather Fanning flip flops!, August 19, 2009
As if there is another flip flop could offer the style, comfortable, and mobility of the Mick Fanning sandal. The leather version of a very popular sandal is exactly what any avid wearer would appreciate.

The sandal is sleek and looks good on a well maintained foot. They are true to size so if you wear a 12, order the 12.

Overall, you cannot and will not go wrong with this great sandal. It hugs the foot very well, provides great heel support, and the church-key hidden perfectly in the sole will be a great topic of any party or gathering. Great job with the development of a great flip flop that even the snobbiest would find pleasure to sport.

1.0 out of 5 stars POS Part 1 and 2, October 5, 2011

Fast forward 5 to 6 months and BAM ... the strap broke. Your kidding me ... $50 sandals that could not make it through a few months (purchased in February and broke in June). The funny thing is I actually purchased another pair in July (thinking maybe I got a bad product made on a bad day by an overworked and under paid Chinese person).

The 2nd pair lasted exactly 3 months. Same flaw ... the toe strap broke during a dinner out. Fortunately, the 2 broken pair(s) each broke a different foot. Light bulb goes off ...still in business, I can wear the 2 good remaining feet for a new pair. BAD! They broke the straps within a week. Now the bad news, the straps are not covered in the warranty. I am sending them back, both pairs, with no warranty, at my cost, to tell Reef, "Please send this crap back to China and have your underpaid Chinese workers to wear and most importantly enjoy their new REEF Sandals".

Thanks REEF, but I will be spending another $50 on a pair of Rainbow Sandals that actually come with a warranty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as durable as previous reef sandle, June 4, 2006
Nigel Turner "Limey Git" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Freddy P's reef sandals that lasted 3 years before finally breaking. I loved those shoes. At that point I had to get the Fanning's as the Freddy P's are no longer being made.

The Fanning shoe has lasted me about 1 year, keeping in mind I did not wear them in the winter, The strap that goes in between your toes has started to come apart on both shoes. And they have become loose and not as comfortable.

The bottle opener is to be used only if you have to.

You have to take the shoe off to open beer, if you have already had a few beers standing on one leg can become a little tricky.

I guess for $40 they are worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that they claim to be., February 1, 2010
R. Mullen (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reef Men's Fanning Sandal (Apparel)
Alone. On the streets of Playa, searching for size 5 Pampers, I longed for refreshment and inspiration. Spotting a corner bodega, I determined that a cervaza was the only remedy. After making my purchase and setting out renewed on my mission, I realized my fatal error. The cap did not twist off. Distraught, I accepted it was not meant to be...it was then that I remembered the hidden church key in the bottom of my Fanning Sandals (Men Sizes 4-15). My mission and my faith were saved.

1.0 out of 5 stars The bottle opener is a horrible nuisance on a otherwise good slipper, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Reef Men's Fanning Sandal (Apparel)
After some use, I could feel the bottle opener through the slipper.
This was extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.
For some pricey slippers I expected a better build quality.

Before this happened, I thought they were great slippers.
They traveled up and down the west coast and to Hawaii with me.
However, I had to toss them after trying to deal with the bottle opener pushing against the soles of my feet with every step.

Take that bottle opener off, and I'd buy them again.

1.0 out of 5 stars These have fallen apart., January 21, 2013
This review is from: Reef Men's Fanning Sandal (Shoes)
I have never had a pair of Reefs that has fallen apart so quickly. First the leather lining comes undone on both sandals, then a few months later the nylon part is broken. My past reefs have lasted at least 2 years if not 3. This pair broke in less than a year. I wonder if the manufacturing process has been compromised. My sons Reefs bought at Costco had to be returned after about 2 months because the leather was delaminating from the sole. What is up with Reef?

4.0 out of 5 stars my fannings, June 18, 2007
very comfortable flip-flops. great for all day wearing. these are my second pair. i wore these all day for 6 days in Savannah, Ga. I've worn them to the beach, in the water, in a friends pool. they can take it and still look good.i still wear my first pair around the house or for shooting to the store. I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 because of the can-opener on the bottom. It works ok. Depending on where you have been walking though, i wouldn't want that stuff near my beer.

Reef Men's Fanning Sandal