Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reef Men's Leather Marbea Thong Sandal
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 16, 2012
It was probably about 8 years ago. I was at the beach and my flip flops broke. Few things are worse. You don't want to be the kid wearing shoes on the beach, but you also don't want to wonder the boardwalk in some cheap crap flip flops that will fall apart and/or hurt your feet. So I went in search of the perfect pair of flip flops - a daunting task.

And I came up with a pair of Reefs. They were, by far, the most comfortable and durable flip flops that I had ever owned. On top of that, they were super stylish and I constantly got compliments on them.

Fast forward a few years and I'm on my sixth pair. For 8 years, 6 pairs of flip flops is incredible, especially considering that only my first pair was decommissioned due to breaking. Of the other pairs I've had, I have a black pair for casual wear, a dark brown pair for casual wear, a dark brown pair that has been demoted to use while rock climbing (worn between climbs), another that was trashed from climbing, and this new pair.

Now these aren't my favorite pair that I've owned. They look real great and feel great, but have an inherent flaw that I've seen on a few others as well, hence the 4/5 stars. The one thing that I absolutely hate about these is that the leather is super absorbent. That means that if my feet sweat, which they do, it's all soaked up in the leather and, after a while, will start to smell. That's why a few pairs have been demoted to climbing use. A few of my older pairs had treated leather that was a lot more resilient, but it looks like most of those are a lot more expensive now.

It's also good to note that these do not fit true to size. I'm usually a 9 ½ - 10, but find that an 11 in Reefs fit perfectly. It would be best if you already knew how they fit you.

I've recommended these to tons of friends over the years. Those that have gotten a pair for themselves keep going back. And I'll keep recommending them. They fit great, feel great, and look great. There's not much that beats walking around on sunny day with a new pair of Reefs...
on April 19, 2012
I was looking to replace my Rainbow brand sandals as they wore out and I have had the Reefs before (just never their leather ones). These took about 2 walks with my dog to break in (about 1-2 miles each walk). They were never uncomfortable but a huge difference is seen when broken in. Overall these are a great value for what you are getting. They fit true to size (I wear a 9 1/2 and ordered the nine as there weren't half sizes and they fit well, better than going a size up would have). They are comfortable and look good with jeans and shorts. Not disappointed at all with these. Now it is just time to see how long these last.
on September 4, 2013
Bought these for a vacation to the beach and couldn't be happier with them. I was a little worried they may cause blisters since I literally just bought them before we left. Wore them all day for the first time and no issues at all. Very comfortable, fit perfect and break in very quickly. Would buy again.
on July 13, 2015
I've owned these sandals before and they lasted me about 4-5 years. I just love the look of leather sandals, so I had to order another pair. They are built nicely with quality materials and look great.
However, here are some things to be aware of beforehand: I am size 9 - 9.5. The last time I bought a pair of these sandals, I bought size 9's and they were extremely tight. I didn't return them because I bought them slightly used. They are narrow sandals, and they don't stretch out very easily. I was actually uncomfortable in my first pair for a long time until they stretched out enough to be decent. This time around, I ordered one size up (size 10) and still had to wear them for 1 week before they stretched out and now they feel great. Another observation that may or may not be important to you - since these are actual leather flip flops, the foot bed becomes very smooth. If you live in an area where you have to walk up hills regularly, I would definitely not recommend buying these as your feet will have zero traction for inclines. I had to go up a pretty steep hill last night and looked like a 90 year old man climbing a giant soap bubble.
That review might sound negative, but I just wanted to give a detailed review for those interested. All in all, these are great looking sandals, and once you get them shaped in, they are great feeling too.
on August 27, 2013
I usually wear a size 11, but my wife read reviews that these sandals are on the small size. I ordered a size 12 and they fit perfectly. Make sure you add 1 shoe size! Very comfy too.
on July 13, 2014
I suspect they are selling knock off Reefs. I bought this exact same sandal last year at a Nordstrom and they were great. This pair was but the same sandal. I ordered 10, which is what I had before but these were way smaller and narrower. The padding in the sole flattened out within 1 week. I did a visual comparison of my old pair and these and there are many flaws in these I ordered.
But from someone else and get the real Reefs.
on April 19, 2013
Wow I just got these in the mail, These are probably the nicest thong sandals I've owned, they're rugged and very comfortable to wear. I got these for a trip to the Philippines, highly recommend.
I wear US size 8, these fit a tiny bit small, I could've went with an size 9 too, but overall very happy with these and the size 8
on May 6, 2015
The pair of leather sandals I had for 10 years finally gave up and broke. So I went out to find a new pair. After searching around I found the Reef sandals. I have never owned Reef products before but the price point was good and the reviews looked good as well so I gave them a try.

I ordered them with Amazon Prime so I got them in two days so there was no issues with shipping. The packaging was on par with what was needed for the product.

I wear an 11-12 depending on the manufacture of the footwear. I decided to go with the 11 on these. When I got them I was a little worried because they were somewhat snug so I was thinking that I got the wrong size. However, after wearing them for a couple of days things stretched out a bit and now they fit perfectly. I'm loving these things way better than my last pair. They stay on nicely. I say this because some leather sandals require a bit of toe work to keep them on. I can relax with these ones. The strap on them have a neoprene feel to them and are really comfortable. I chose the "Black" color which is really a dark brown. So these go fine with just about any outfit (I was wondering if I would have to buy a black and brown pair).

These are light, comfortable, and the price point is where it needs to be. I'd buy these again.
on August 5, 2013
UPDATE: 21 Sep, less than 5 months after purchases, thong broke on left flip-flop. Right flip not far behind! TRASH sandals, stay away.

I've been a long time reef customer and it's not uncommon for me to wear a pair of sandals, daily, for well over a year. I bought this pair of sandals on April 15, it's now Aug 5 and these flip flops have worn like a $3 pair from WalMart. It's borderline embarassing. The tread is completely worn out at least 1/2 inch (from the edge towards the center) in on the heal and 1/4 on the toe. The sole on the toe is has seperated on both sandals and about 1/8" of the sole has completely worn away. Additionally the fabric sewn to the leather that goes between your toes is completely work out on one sandal. This means it's only the leather holding the sandal together so it's a matter of time before that completely parts.
The issues I have with these sandals aren't conducive to a bad pair off the line. This is an extremely poor sandal design and if reef doesn't honor their warrantee, and this is the type of product they are moving towards selling, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.
on May 24, 2013
I liked them. They are really comfy, good fit. The only negative part is that the straps have some minor signs of fraying, which still looks casual and relax, but it is definitely not what I was expecting. Overall, reef is look quality, so I hope they will last forever, just as every other reef sandals I have ever owned.