5.0 out of 5 stars Don does it again....
Published 9 months ago by walddog

1.0 out of 5 stars Not His Best
His voice is strong, the band is tight, but the song selection is somnambulistic. It's like hearing the same song ten times in a row. There's little variety, and nothing you'll want to clap along with or dance to.

You'll be much happier with the album he did just before this one, "And So It Goes." Spend your money on that one, and skip this one.
Published 9 months ago by Thomas Alice

5.0 out of 5 stars Don does it again...., March 11, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
I have a special spot for the Gentle Giant in my heart. Growing up in south Alabama, I remember listening to country radio - both AM and FM - while working on the farm. For some odd reason, the Taylor Made Opry (Google is your friend) would play mostly 50s and 60s country artists but would sprinkle Don William's tunes occasionally. I know Don was in his commercial prime in the 70s and 80s, but there's a reason why his songs are timeless. Just like his classics, the songs found on Reflections seem to sum up the work ethic, ethos and kharma of love and good living that we need more of in the hectic and frantic world that we live in nowadays.

I love the message of "Stronger Back" - don't lessen the load, but give me an ability to carry more. "Talk is Cheap" is just so resonant in our world today - Talk is cheap and time's a wasting. "I Won't Give Up on You" is a song that every person that's ever loved someone wants the other person in the relationship to feel about us - what we aspire to be for one another. The entire CD is just great and if you can slow down and take the time to listen to Don's singing - it's not hard because he learned to talk like the man on the 6 o'clock news - you'll realize that he has a special ability to touch your perspective on life with his songs. And, personally, it doesn't hurt that it takes me back to digging post holes when I was 10 years old.

If I could offer to refund your money personally if you didn't like this CD, I'd do it. Because if you don't like it, you've got more issues than 1 CD can solve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding CD with an incredible collection of songs, beautifully performed, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
This is a lovely collection of songs, about love, the working man, and family, all themes Don Williams has sung about in the past. The songwriters include Townes Van Zandt ("I'll Be Here In The Morning"), Merle Haggard ("Sing Me Back Home"), Jesse Wincheser ("If I Were Free"), and Steve Gillette & Rex Benson ("Healing Hands"), and every one of them is a master of his craft.

I learned about this CD project many months ago because a songwriter friend, Steve Gillette, had a song recorded for it. Typical of Steve, he didn't mention it, but his co-writer, Rex Benson tweeted about it and since then I had been waiting patiently. Their song, "Healing Hands", is beautifully done and is one of the highlights. While the arrangement is very much Don's style, his vocals are very reminscent of Steve's, in both inflection and phrasing - so, I absolutely love it!

I really have to comment on Don's voice; it is still every bit as beautiful as it was decades ago. Not all singers keep their voices throughout their careers, and it is just wonderful listening to one who has done so. For me, the standout tracks are the first song - and first single - "I'll Be Here In The Morning", (Townes Van Zandt), "Sing Me Back Home" (Merle Haggard), "Stronger Back" (Doug Gill), and of course, Steve's song, "Healing Hands" (Steve Gillette & Rex Benson).

This is really a great CD, and I am so glad that my friendship with one songwriter put this fine CD in my hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten golden musical nuggets., April 26, 2014
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
"Reflections" is the new album by now 74-year-old Don "Gentle Giant" Williams, the follow-up to his 2012 album "And So It Goes." The tracks on this album are not originals but classic tunes from other great songwriters. What is immediately obvious when you start playing this album, is that his smooth bass-baritone, one of the most iconic voices of country music, has lost none of its power to mesmerize the listener with these reflections on a life well-lived.

The songs covered on this album are, as performed by the original artists: "I'll Be Here In The Morning" (Townes Van Zandt), "Talk Is Cheap" (Alan Jackson), "I Won't Give Up On You" (Jordyn Shellhart), "Sing Me Back Home" (Merle Haggard), "Working Man's Son" (??), "Healing Hands" (Steve Gillette), "If I Were Free" (Jesse Winchester), "Back To The Simple Things" (??), "Stronger Back" (Doug Gill) and "The Answer" (??). Sadly, for the songs marked (??), I couldn't find the names of the original artists.

Quality oozes from this album like filling from one of America's best, home-made burgers. The ten songs, carefully produced by Garth Fundis, show that the veteran singer picked ten golden musical nuggets out of the country music catalog, putting together a compilation of beautiful authentic country tracks. Songs like the folksy "I'll Be Here In The Morning," the romantic "Working Man's Son," the tugging-at-your-heartstrings "Sing Me Back Home" or the somewhat snappier "Talk Is Cheap" are exemplary for this. Ever the sensitive story-teller, with the easy, almost conversational musical style in which he sings, he manages to touch the soul of the listener with every intonation.

Don Williams is truly gifted as a singer and the way he interprets these classics lifts this album way above it being "just a cover cd." Personal favorites on this album are "I'll Be Here In The Morning," "I Won't Give Up On You," "Sing Me Back Home" and "Healing Hands." In less than a month, we were blessed by the outstanding, but alas posthumous Johnny Cash album "Out Among The Stars," and now "Reflections" by living legend Don Williams. Highly recommended!

Unfortunately, the bare-bones cardboard CD sleeve provides only the song-titles and the names of those who wrote the music and/or lyrics. No booklet is provided with the lyrics of the songs and their histories, or info about the original artists. For those interested, I've put this in the comment-section. For the songs marked with (??), I couldn't find the names of the original artists who sang these songs, even when using The Encyclopedia Of Country Music, Wikipedia and/or googling the internet. So if anyone can provide them so I can edit this into the review, it would be much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful CD, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
Don Williams is timeless, his music will never get old. This CD is a prime example. True country at it's finest. Excellent job Mr. Williams!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great country, March 14, 2014
jeff thomas (LEAVENWORTH, KS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reflections (MP3 Music)
If you are into Don Willams you will like this one. His slection of songs fit the title like a glove. I would reccomend it to any country misic lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Don's voice and music still good as ever, March 12, 2014
Brent (Rogers, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
His voice is still just as good as ever -- like sweet warm honey flowing into your ears. The same soothing,comforting voice you remember your father had when you were a child. Great voice, great music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Don Williams Album!, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
The gentle giant has the ability to choose and record songs that touch the listener's heart. Thanks Don for sharing your timeless talent once again with your many fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new music, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
Good to have new music from Don! Enjoyed this album a lot. If you listened to him in the past, you should like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEW DON WILLIAMS C.D., April 14, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
GREAT PRODUCT GOOD DEAL PROMPT SERVICE DON WILLIAMS IS MY FAVORITE SINGER HE NEVER FAILS TO SATISFY A TOP QUALITY PERFORMANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice like a smooth drink of whiskey, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
Don Williams is one of the most under appreciated artists in country music. For the 4+ decades he has been around he continues to produce music of the highest quality and that voice, oh that voice! If you are not familiar with Don, pick any album of his and you will not be disappointed, but you should be looking to pick up more.

Reflections
Reflections by Don Williams (Audio CD - 2014)