5.0 out of 5 stars Escape Ugly-Giant-Highchair Land and get the Ragalo Hook-On!
We were reluctant to invest in a big, cumbersome (and, honestly, u-g-l-y) highchair. Have you seen what's out there? If it's not 4 feet wide, it's just ugly as sin.

We've got an open dining area that's part of the living room, so having some big plastic baby-themed-and-printed monstrosity wasn't what we wanted.

So... I remembered when I was a kid...
Published on October 6, 2007 by Michelle MacPhearson

2.0 out of 5 stars Important info left out of product description
Published on November 14, 2007 by Karen Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape Ugly-Giant-Highchair Land and get the Ragalo Hook-On!, October 6, 2007
Michelle MacPhearson (Petaluma, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Regalo Easy Diner Portable Hook-On High Chair (Baby Product)

So... I remembered when I was a kid my Grandma has a highchair she brought out and hooked on the table when us kids were around and a younger one needed it. I set out to find a similar solution and found the Regalo Hook-On High Chair.

It installed no problem. It's not obtrusive. It takes up almost no space. Our boy has been happy in it since about 6 months old - he's now 10 months (and around 25lbs).

The seat washes beautifully, everything mechanically has been fully functional and easy to use.

This is the highchair we don't notice. It allows our youngest to truly join us at the table (instead of being confined to his own chair/table combo) and we (and I think he) love the togetherness. I like that it doesn't take up any room at our table.

This is the perfect solution for those who:

(1) Don't like the looks of other high chairs
(2) Have a smaller dining area
(3) Only need the highchair out occasionally
(4) Like having baby AT the table, not near the table, for family meal times

I highly recommend this highchair is any of the above apply.

2.0 out of 5 stars Important info left out of product description, November 14, 2007
This chair cannot be used on a table with a skirt that is wider than a few inches. It does not work on our farm house kitchen table, which has a five inch skirt, or on our dining room table. It works best on picnic tables or tables that are just an inch of so of flat surface sitting on four legs that are close to the center. This is very important information to disclose because many people have tables with skirts and this chair is useless in those cases. If it does not work on my sister's modern table, which does not have a skirt, I will return it. However, I have to disagree with another reviewer about the material. I was actually surprised at how sturdy it seems. Cannot comment on the quality of the straps, however, because I have been unable to attach it to a table.

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!!!!, April 30, 2012
I am SHOCKED at how many of the bad reviews for this item are simply due to user error, lack of common sense and READING INSTRUCTIONS! People are sliding the metal supports through the velcro straps that hold the removable and washable seat on. REALLY?!?!? There are very sturdy pockets to slide the support through UNDERNEATH the velcro. Also, I have this chair on a table with an apron with ZERO problems. It is so secure, it doesn't wiggle a bit even when a strong adult substantially tries to loosen it. Also, to those who say the top doesn't sit flush with the table, you MUST push down on the back of the seat to make it level while you are tightening the locks underneath. For the love and safety of your children, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!! I understand that there are some tables that this won't fit, but the majority of tables will work out. I've used this on a formal dining table, our kitchen table with an apron underneath, a kitchen counter, and a thicker plastic fold up table from Costco used for camping and such. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that I wish it were a little more water proof/wipe-able. Kiddos make messes, and anything easier to clean up is great! This seat is inexpensive, versatile, and EASY to use for those with common sense and an ability to read directions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly -- even on tables with skirts, January 17, 2011
I'm a bit confused by some of the reviews stating this doesn't work for tables with skirts, because our table has a skirt that's 4-5" and the Regalo hooks on over it just fine. There are two adjustments made when installing the chair: press the buttons to release the hooks under the table, and there are pieces you can unscrew to loosen them as well. Do all this before trying to install the chair over a skirt -- make sure the hooks underneath are loosened, and not locked in place. We've taken the Regalo on vacation with us, and it worked great on every table we used it at (condos, cabins, restaurants -- you name it). It also folds up and comes with its own carry bag, which is very handy.

This chair has been awesome for us! Our (then) 9-month-old refused to sit in the traditional high chair we had. The tray adjusted in increments, so in order to have it snug enough so she couldn't climb out, it was too tight for her to be comfortable. Even as she got older, I could never turn my back on her in the high chair because she was determined to escape.

So we looked at several other more portable high chairs (but didn't have the money to invest in a new freestanding high chair). Despite some of the negative reviews for this one, we decided to give it a shot. And I am SO GLAD we did! She sat down deeper in it, so it was impossible for her to climb out. It's got a 5 point harness (unlike the high chair we had) which makes me feel better. And she got to be right at the table with everyone else at mealtime. It also worked great for when she and her big sister wanted to color or paint at the table. My toddler got to be included, and that helped make meals and family time much nicer for us all.

My daughter is now almost two years old, and we only recently moved her from this to a booster seat (one of those cheapy ones without a tray). We definitely got our money's worth with the Regalo.

I highly recommend it! The only cons that I've found:
- It's a minor annoyance to clean the area close to the rubber grippers on top of the table. But it's not a big deal really; I just loosen it up a big, clean around and under the rubber bits, then lock it back in place. The nylon material is very easy to keep clean, though.
- If your toddler is a climber, once s/he is big enough, it is possible to pull arms out from the shoulder straps, and stand up on the chair. So keep an eye on on your toddlers once they're old enough to start doing this, and make sure the straps are snug.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, February 19, 2013
We used this product for less than a month and the middle strap that is crucial to the structure & safety of the high chair came un-stiched and my 9 month old daughter slid right through the middle and onto the floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!!, July 26, 2006
I highly recommend this chair. You can take it anywhere and it's SO strong! I practically stood on it and it wouldn't budge. I would get a second one to keep in the car but this thing is so easy to take off and put on that I can just grab it and go out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better options available, April 27, 2004
By A Customer
As a mother of two with limited space in my kitchen the hook on booster seat is the perfect option. However, this Regalo seat is not compatiple with my table, countertop or those of my mother or 2 sister inlaws. After trying this in 4 homes we decided it wasn't worth the hassle. The problem came where there wasn't enough clearance on our table for the chair to fit securely, or the lip on our breakfast bar was too thick for the safety levers (?) to even screw on. Also, there is a 5 point harness which in my opinion is overkill. We ended up purchasing the GRACO and loving it. simple 3 point harness, fits ANY table we put it on, can take it out to dinner and it is appropriate at all restaurants we have tried. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, but has flaws, February 4, 2009
As soon as my babies (twins) could sit up, we started using this seat. I wasn't impressed with the idea of them sitting in the nasty restaurant high chairs. I'm not a clean freak, but I've worked in that industry & not much thought goes into cleaning the chairs.

First, I don't know what restaurants the other reviewers are going to, but we have not found one yet that has tables that this chair will not work on. We've gone everywhere from McD to Outback with them without a table-fail. We can use them at booths or normal tables (beware the booths...they give good foot-holds for the kids to stand up) I usually put a chair slightly under the high chair, more to protect the babies' backs from passerbys than anything else. I have no fear that this chair is going to crash to the floor. They are so secure!!

Second, the first of two problems I have found with this chair is that the chair doesn't have much support. It really is a lot like putting the kid in a plastic bag. So you need to insure the baby can sit up well on their own before trying to use this. My daughter is a little small (19lbs at 19 months) and she used to be buried in the chair. But she was so determined & excited to be sitting at the table with everyone else.

The second problem is with the harness. I have to use it, my daughter climbs on everything. So I love that it's 5-point and not just 3-point. But the straps get in the way every single time we put the kids in them. Their feet get tangled up & we have to take additional time to un-tangle them. The buckle on one of the chairs has broken but it's still functional.

OH...I also recommend caring for them a little more gently than we have. I just toss them in the stow-and-go compartments when we get back to the car. This has resulted in one of the red release buttons to pop off. Of course, we can't find it. So now we have to use something pointy to get the arm to release once it's on the table. But we take fault on that one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good if looking for a chair you take and use anywhere!, December 3, 2009
I was excited about this purchase because of the cost, look and child restraints. However, I am very disappointed. The chair only works on tables that are two inches thick or less. I think you'll find (like I have found) that most dining tables (whether in restaurants or in other homes) are thicker than this. Also, even if the tabletop is only 2 inches thick, the underside of the table still has to be free and clear for this chair to work. Most tables have another wooden support immediately under the tabletop that also renders this chair unusable. This is only a safe purchase if you have a single, specific table in mind and know this chair will work with it. If you're looking for a universal high chair you can keep in the car and take anywhere--keep looking!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This chair ROCKS!, February 1, 2006
I purchased this chair for my six month old son. It was the best $20 I have ever spent. Buy this chair! It's a must have item for dining out.

Regalo Easy Diner Portable Hook-On High Chair