Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2007 12:20:44 PM PDT
Chase von says:
Brent,

I'm reading a book called Plug You Book and am considering buying yours, but I saw something in Steve Webers book and to quote: "Don't hype your book or mention it's title in your review of other books. This is viewed by many as blatant self promotion, and can result in your review being deleted by Amazon." End quote. I mention that because I read in one of the reviews here where you encourage people to suttlely mention there books. Which is really legit? I would think as long as your speaking of the persons book you are reviewing and not your own, it might give your review a bit more credibility in some cases since you are also an author. Was wondering if you could answer that one for me. I would also hate to write reviews, mention my title and then have them deleted because of that fact. (That would amount to wasting time and that isn't something a lot of us self published folks have).
Sincerely,
Chase von
And continued success you

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 12:10:12 PM PST
Hi Chase von,

Ultimately, I believe Amazon leaves this largely in the hands of the author of the book you are reviewing. For example, I wrote a 5-star review for Plug Your Book after enjoying it. In my review I mentioned mine, as I recommend others do. Steve presumably requested that my review be removed since I've never seen it posted. He's entitled to that decision and one should respect an author's wishes on their own sales page. That said, I think you'll have more success mentioning your title than not mentioning it. I agree, a review from a published author is liable to give the review more credibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 8:24:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2008 8:07:53 PM PDT
I think the author is better off not mention their book in their reviews. Why take the chance of your review being deleted? I had to revise several of my reviews because I wanted to be taken more seriously. A lot of my reviews didn't have hardly any helpful votes. Having helpful votes improves your reviewer ranking on Amazon.

I don't completely agree that having a review written by a published author will give it more credibility.

Brandon Simpson

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 1:51:04 PM PDT
Hi Brandon,

You're right -- it's important that the review is lengthy and legitimate, rather than just an obvious attempt to mention one's own book title.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 8:03:50 PM PDT
Chase von says:
Such similar names, a little confusing trying to keep up with what "Brent Sampson" says, and what "Brandon Simpsons" says...

:)

All legitmate points though, and I agree, if you are going to mention your book, it makes far more sense to write an informed review vice... Loved it! Plug Your Book, or Hated it! Plug Your Book... In my view, if you're an author it only makes sense to write a well thought out review and in those cases, it doesn't hurt to mention you are one. As I think it adds validity to some degree. But if you are just plugging your book I think after a few sentences that is obvious. Not mentioning anything that actually pertains to the book is a dead give away. I plan to continue to mention my book, and to continue to only do reviews on things I have actually read. It's pretty much that simple.

I'm not going to NOT mention my book because some might think I am only doing that to show I have one, as I believe that if what you are doing is really writing a review based on honest opinion, than that will shine through. I also believe that if you mention your book and you do a review, it's fair to the other author to know that this review was written by a peer or someone that is also in the writing field.

Whether or not that helps the author is a hit or miss, but I think that if I got a positive review from someone who was well known, that does lend credibility to my work. If I get a review from someone that is well known, but decides they would rather not say who they are, then that is almost like saying I really don't stand behind this review postively or negatively depending on what type is was. I've only had to honestly rate things lower than what an author perhaps might desire a few times but facts are facts, and the few I've done that on weren't personal attacks, just honest opinion. And I wouldn't want to do that and then hide who I am either. So if it is postive or less than that, when people see my reviews, they will know who wrote it... And that I also write...

Best wishes to you both
Sincerely,
Chase von

Does any one else smile to themselves when they think of just your initials?

Hope that is taken in good humor mind you:)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 11:19:17 AM PDT
When people HEAR my initials, they laugh. But other than that, no. I can see your point of view on mentioning book titles in reviews. If you were to only mention your book in a couple reviews, no one would probably think twice about it. But if every review had your book title, people would probably think that you are promoting yourself. That said, Amazon does not want anyone to mention book titles or URLs in reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 7:08:10 PM PDT
Chase von says:

But they do have the part already set up in the review process to place a url in the review itself, and if you have a book on here, you can insert yours which is what I do. I guess I can also start inserting others that are also relevant to the topic as well...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 9:49:07 PM PDT
You're right about the new product links. But I'm not going to abuse that new feature by inserting product links for my books in my reviews. I might do it to suggest other books in reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 10:09:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 26, 2008 8:05:54 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sell Your Book on Amazon: The Book Marketing COACH Reveals Top-Secret "How-to" Tips Guaranteed to Increase Sales for Print-on-Demand and Self-Publishing Writers
Sell Your Book on Amazon: The Book Marketing COACH Reveals Top-Secret "How-to" Tips Guaranteed to Increase Sales for Print-on-Demand and Self-Publishing Writers by Brent Sampson (Paperback - March 4, 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (240)