Regret years of supporting Penguin

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2012 3:58:37 PM PDT
BS Detector says:
I'm an educator and a lifelong reader. I have often bought, read, and taught Penguin books. I couldn't be more disgusted with Penguin's price gouging. Penguin doesn't care about their readers. Penguin cares only about padding their pockets. Everyone has the right to make a profit but gouging is wrong. Charging such prices for ebooks when there are no printing, shipping, or warehousing costs is just unforgivable. There isn't even a hedge against publishing too many unsold copies! It's my hope that Butcher and others will stand up and seek a better publisher. Nobody needs the big six in this new ebook economy. If Penguin can't use its size and market influence to offer better prices and better service, then Penguin needs to be left in the dustbin of publishing history. The brutally unfair aspect of this is Penguin's monopoly control over so many great authors and editions. Butcher could walk tomorrow and probably sell MORE books, if he could offer a fair price.

Further proof of Penguin's insidious pricing scam is the fact that its prices for new books has risen significantly every year. What did the last Dresden book sell for? Was it $13.99? The year before that a brand new Dresden book (Changes) was $12.99 if I'm not mistaken. Nowhere in this economy is that inflation rate justified.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:31:17 AM PDT
Two of my friends illegally downloaded the last 2 or 3 or 4 Dresden Files books b/c of the price. I don't agree with them, but I honestly understand where they are coming from. Penguin isn't remedying the illegal DL problem with high prices. People are reasonable, in my opinion, and are more than happy to pay for something like a good book, when they feel they are being offered a reasonable rate.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 9:38:01 AM PDT
BS Detector says:
I agree with everything you said. Maybe Penguin will listen.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 6:49:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 6:51:20 PM PDT
Jonas says:
$18.59 in Canada, despite the exchange rate being $1.02 per dollar. The Canadian price is also fixed by Penguin, and they've no interest at this point in pricing fairly -- Penguin is also one of the only two hold-outs in the settlement case (the other being Apple). This basically means they have no intention of changing their scheme anytime soon. I just choose not to purchase Penguin books in the interim; plenty of other authors with more reasonable publishers that I enjoy reading. Especially seeing as how the prices across the board should be dropping significantly after the Big Six settlement.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:54:24 AM PDT
Agree completely-I am seeing too many e-books that are priced higher than paperback editions and usually just a little less than hard covers. Totally ridiculous. I really enjoy the Dresden series, but will forego my reading enjoyment in protest of these ridiculous prices!

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 1:08:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 2:42:36 AM PST
Slim Jensin says:
Thats it for me on Penquin products! They are just ripping us off. So from now on even after the settlement, no more Penquin. Authors take note--I know I'm not even a drop in the ocean but I bet I'm not alone. I know that Mr.Butcher lives somewhere in Missouri, anyone know by what city or town? I would like to ask him to switch publishers. Don't know if it would do any good or what his contractual obligations are but I would at least like to mention that in my opinion Penquin sucks!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 10:33:23 AM PDT
Jo Ann Alley says:
Our parish library has the books and check out is free.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:29:09 AM PDT
Kittiehawke says:
This price is insane. Unless ebooks are priced fairly, it just drives people to illegally download.
And once someone has gone that route, it's much harder to get them back to purchasing.

I don't know what I'll choose to do yet.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 11:31:15 PM PDT
H. Carames says:
Mrs C here.

I do the family book shopping. I HATE the prices penguin is charging, but I try to keep it in perspective. Hubby, myself, and the children (when they are old enough to have their own readers) will all be able to read this book simultanously at some point. It also keeps the clutter in the house at a minimum which was the whole point of the kindle. To me it is worth it to buy the official copy of this. Then again I live in a house full of Dresden fans.

I refuse to blame amazon for bad publisher decisions, and honestly I 'get it back' via all the well priced books (including many amazing free titles) in the amazon store. I will say that I NEVER 'try out' any penguin books, nor do I get started on any new series through them. I feel sorry for penguin's stable of authors that are suffering through this nonsense for the sake of the publisher's ego.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:57:28 AM PDT
BS Detector says:
Great point. I wholeheartedly agree that it's not Amazon's fault here. Amazon tried real hard to get a hard $9.99 ceiling for readers and we all know that. High prices don't justify theft, and I wouldn't do that, but clearly we can see that some people think high prices incentivize theft. That's a shame. I also agree about sympathizing with Penguin's stable of authors. I just wish some of them would jump ship.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 7:41:57 AM PDT
I get my Penguin books for free legally. I have gotten all of my hardcover Dresden books through Science Fiction Book Club as part of the 5 books for free signup offer. I buy much of my sci fi through Baen books because they are the cheapest and easiest to deal with of any of the publishers. They currently sell NEW ebooks for 7-8 dollars, releasing them on schedule and 2 weeks before the printed books come out. Certain series are available in rough draft form up to 6 months early at a higher price for those of us who just can't wait. Older books are as cheap as 4$ each.

I do NOT condone illegal downloads.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:08:15 AM PDT
Baen is an FANTASTIC publisher. Most of their collection is available online as an ebook for a very reasonable price. The website always has samples of upcoming books and they keep their customer informed on drop dates and author tours. A great publishing house.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:06:49 AM PDT
Yes, it's ridiculous to see pricing for ebooks to be a few dollars less than a hardbound edition, with none of the associated costs.

I love Jim Butcher's books, but I will NOT pay these prices for an e-book. It's such a blatant rip-off of the consumer. Also, I generally feel that a private business has the right to set it's own pricing, and should not be regulated into complience (we have enough regulators at present). I hope that maybe the authors are seeing these posts and will demand reasonable pricing. So many books are now in ebook format that a significant response from consumers may also have some effect if done in sufficient numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:06:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 1:08:10 PM PDT
I love the Dresden File books and read them originally from the library. I'm currently rereading the series in ebook form... at least the older books which are available at a somewhat reasonable $9.99, which is my current self-imposed ceiling for ebook prices. When the next book comes out I'll just borrow it from the local library, and postpone buying it until the price drops.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:37:46 PM PDT
I purchased Ghost Story for $9.99, after reading it by other means when it was released. Will have to do the same this time as well. Last time, I emailed Penguin and told them their pricing was ridiculous and that I wasn't going to buy Ghost despite owning everything else by Butcher. Guess it's time to do it again, even if they don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:15:01 AM PST
J. Cochrane says:
I just checked out the Baen site. They have to many titles that are price a lot higher than Amazon or Penguin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:17:44 AM PST
J. Cochrane says:
Cont. I must say I will not spend more than $9.99 on an ebook no matter how long I have waited for a book to come out. Penguin definitely charging to much for an ebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:03:00 AM PST
Brad Smith says:
It depends on the title (Baen's ebooks). I'm almost sure I paid $6 ea for several new releases, including the new Monster Hunter book (BTW, check those out, y'all might like them).

As for Cold Days...I'm an addict. (twitches)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:47:30 AM PST
The only stuff Baen typically marks higher than 6 dollars are pre-release advanced readers copies and multi-book collections. I'd like to see what you are talking about.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:56:40 PM PST
Yup, this just became a Library decision based on that price!!

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:18:48 PM PST
Jon says:
OBrien, I think you're right about the prices for the past few issues going up. I could understand if it was the hard copies, and the price of paper or ink had increased significantly, but for an e-book? While I don't necessarily condone it, I think it would be fascinating to see the sales numbers and the rate of piracy on this one when it comes out - a product many want at a price few are willing to pay.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:26:34 PM PST
Love the Kindle versions of The Dresden Files books, especially when they were $6.99. I joined Audible and got Ghost Story for free as an incentive. I will only read Cold Days when I'm able to get it from the library. Their e-books don't even have the quality of hard copy books where we pay almost as much--the spelling and punctuation are a joke, mixed in with publisher's marks. Maybe eventually they will figure out that they are shooting themselves in the foot and will set prices where the content and quality are consistent across formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 2:14:11 PM PST
The Author and Publisher have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. You have the right as a consumer not to purchase the book. You can borrow it from a friend, the library, or wait for it to come out in paperback form.

No one twisting your arm to pay they price except yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:48:04 PM PST
Shawn R. New says:
ummm are you looking at prices for their webscriptions? They cost 18 dollars but you get like six books. Also a lot of their older titles are very cheap or even free.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:02:46 PM PST
BS Detector says:
Here come the plants!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) by Jim Butcher
4.8 out of 5 stars   (2,117)