iRobot 110 Dirt Dog Workshop Robot
Used & New from: $195.00
Regular Roomba or dog/workshop for dog hair in the house? Which do you think would serve us best to keep the dog hair in check? What is the difference between the two?
Thanks!
asked by MBK OTR on June 7, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 answers
A
we got our dirtdog a few days ago. We own a 180 lbs English Mastiff and a baby English Bulldog. The hair was getting unbearable. All hard woods here and I couldnt afford to swiffer so much. This was a pretty ballsy decision for us but I have to say - so far I am thinking this might really be the best thing we have bought in a while. It is downstairs working as I type this and it has only gotten stuck once on a cord. Simple to clean and it is picking up EVERYTHING. I should say though that our house is fairly sparse in it decor so it can move around. And our furniture is up on legs high enough it can navigate under so it gets all of the dog bunnies (hair).....I will post again if stuff goes awry but so far I would have to give it an enthusiastic thumbs up...
It's a week later and I am posting again because I just want to reiterate how much I love this thing. Now I am turning the thing on to sweep our whole first floor while I go for a walk in the morning. I come back and it is spotless. I clean the brushes and empty the bin, wipe it down with a babywipe and plug it in to charge. That process takes a few minutes so I dont know why certain reviews resent that maintenance. Also, it is necessary to do a 3 minute prep for the room you are cleaning. Taking up cords, moving furniture a bit out from the wall if it is going to make it get stuck. Then when we do that it doesnt get stuck. It avoids the stairs, and it gets baseboards, navigating corners and around things easily even if it has to try a few times. The prep and maintenance for this machine is not a lot and falls under the heading common sense to me. Also, I have a ten year old who now wants to clean his room. You cant beat that, right? I ordered and received the one that washes the floor, scooba, yesterday and havent tried it yet but I am hooked on dirtdog. I only wish I would have gotten it sooner. This is not a gimmick - this is a huge help around the house.
I think the only people who wouldnt benefit from this are people who have a lot of fringe carpets or tons of stuff so it would struggle getting around it all or someone who maybe thought this would replace their cleaning lady and they wouldnt have to maintain it. For what it is worth, I have a friend across the street who has a gorgeous house but decorated with lots of furniture, rugs, long drapes, loves trinkets, you get the idea. I told him NOT to get it because I knew it would not work on his home. We love mid century danish stuff and so it borders on minimalist here so it makes us perfectly suited for this machine. I do think that is an important thing for people to consider. If I had to take up the drapes, move fringes on all on all my rugs, move furniture from one room to another, take down trinkets so the bumping didnt topple them and do all the other stuff I do with the chords and general prep, it would annoy me.
ABinDC answered on April 19, 2009
Comment | 14 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I want to know the same thing! I just saw that the dog doesn't have suction so I'm thinking my hardwood floors would need the roomba?
Andria F. Howell answered on November 14, 2008
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi...just got my dirt dog yesterday. We have 3 small dogs, 3 cats and a parrot. I LOVE my DD! We have a lot of tile and it buzzes around picking up hair, bird seed, feather, you name it. I want another one for the pool patio..it's just awesome.
Lorri R. Genovese answered on December 11, 2008

A
the dirt dog is a SWEEPER not a vaccum....but i use my dirt dog in the house too and it's great!!!....i heard the dirt dog work better if you have dogs with long hair....the vaccum robot has more of an issue with this
busylady answered on January 26, 2009

A
dirt dog doesnt have a suction but is a sweeper....it's terrific and i also have a dog in the house....i have wood floors and tiled floors...it works great on both.............i use dirt dog on my patio outside and also use it on the garage floor....i am amazed how it works and cleans such a big area even without virtual walls........but it does have a problem on fringed carpets...i just tuck them under.....i am looking to get a vaccum roomba for house and keep my dirt dog for patio and garage.....but it works great in house too.....
busylady answered on January 26, 2009

A
Domestic Diva:
It doesnt come with the virtual walls. But it is already built to avoid stairs. Mine goes near them, senses them somehow and backs away. It will work with a virtual wall though if you want to buy one to keep it from going to another room. My first floor is 3 rooms plus a kitchen because we live in a rowhouse so if I dont use the virtual wall it spends an hour cleaning the entire floor going from room to room, climbing over the floor divider strips no problem. I use the virtual wall when one room needs more attention so it spends the hour in their only. Hope this makes sense.
ABinDC answered on April 28, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I love my Dirt Dog- but... it is loud (we think loud cleaning is better than no additional help). You should be aware that if it slows down the amount of charge it has when cleaning (what I just charged it why is it dying?), you need to use your fingers pop out the battery and then re-insert. Simple & helpful. The other thing is you m ight need to unscrew the wide brush that sometimes allow hair underneath it (5 min job). This dirt capacity is larger than some of the other Roomba's a friend (who has a Roomba) told me; I've not verified that myself. This is worth the money if only to clean under your bed; face it the dust bunnies are under there- Roomba does a very efficient job. I've had this for greater than 4 months but less than a year. I have tile floors and anyone who does not have carpeting - should get this if they can afford it. (maid service $100 for one or 2 hours<Dirt Dog ). Pop out the rollers often (2 sec - 10 min job depending on how much hair and string gets wrapped up). I like to run Roomba in the kitchen while I clean the bathroom. Roomba is done & then I go in and mop. This really helped when I had back problems. If someone has a back injury- buy this for them! We are always amazed how much dirt it collects in a single cleaning cycle.
Ell F. answered on December 1, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does this come with towers to keep it from falling down stairs?
Domestic Diva answered on April 27, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i have a virtual wall left over from my 400 series red roomba. are you stating that the dirt dog will be sensitive to the virtual walls? also, does anyone know if it will scratch or mark hardwood floors? my red roomba has gone to roomba heaven, but if anyone wants it for parts, let me know. i have a remote and home base.
UPDATE: i received my dawg a couple of days ago, and i give 5 woofs up for fido. the old home base works with the dawg...he just parked all by himself. i would give him a treat for that one. the remote turns him on too, and the virtual wall keeps him from straying. so, all the goodies work and he doesn't scatch the bamboo hard floors!
three cats answered on June 26, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Have owned Roomba's and the Dirt Dog - have dogs and hardwood & tile floors. Went through two Roombas - each only lasted about 13 months (died right after the warranty expired) and decided that the $300 a year for a sweeper was a bit much. My Dirt Dog died after a year but for $100 and doing basically the same job I'm okay with replacing it. It's got a much bigger container so it can pick up more. My Roomba would stop & beep in the middle of the job requiring me to empty it and clean the rollers. The Dirt Dog I just clean out before I run it. It doesn't have walls but I just block it off where I don't want it to go. It's basically a broom, but it's something that I've used probably twice a day since getting a new dog that has lots and lots of hair. It isn't perfect but it does help out, just wish they'd last longer.
tracy answered on February 23, 2010
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product