Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

on October 30, 2013
This game offers solid platforming gameplay combined with Regular Show characters. The game is fun and features 3 different types of gameplay style. Sections of levels allow Mordeci to turn into a ship with a throwback to the game Gradius while other sections will turn into a top down shooting section which is similar to Super C for NES. Despite the game not being too long, it is a fun pickup.
on December 25, 2013
My girlfriend just bought me this game for Christmas. I love the Regular Show and this game is awesome! Game play is similar to Mario, but way more awesome because it's Mordecai and Rigby. I'm not bashing Mario, I just love the Regular Show.
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of Regular Show (at best, I think it's only an okay show). What was intriguing about this game, though, is that it's more particularly based on the protagonists' interests in video games. I would otherwise think a Regular Show game for video game consoles would not be that great of an idea, but this case has me sold. Plus, it's made by Wayforward, a talented development team that has created greats like Shantae and Contra 4!

So what exactly does this game offer? Well, it's a 2D side-scroller crafted in an oldschool fashion, and as you move on in the game, you get to play around with outer space and top-down sections that play like third-person arcade shooters. Genre-switching is not exactly a trope I like to see a lot, but Mordecai & Rigby in 8-bit Land makes it its core concept, and you literally switch in-between these genres at will when playing through the levels. It's somewhat awkward, but it's still a cool concept.

As for the execution? The levels may not be the most spectacular ones you've ever played through, but the platforming is spot-on. If you were to add various power-ups, and toss out the other genres, you'd have yourself a Mario clone; the physics/control is that good! Shooting in the space portions, however, does tend to feel a little less fine-tuned. The ship is more slippery to control, and as a result, there were times where I ended up either slipping into an enemy and dying (one hit and your life is lost) or failing to escape from enemy fire. The top-down shooting is a lot better since there's none of that momentum; you can control yourself easily.

I think it's time I address a common complaint: The difficulty. Yes, it is hard. Namely during the space portions due to what I've already explained, and probably the bosses (though they are very short). However, this is meant to be an oldschool game, right? Let's get real for a second: Video games in the 1980s can be PRETTY HARD. You don't beat Mega Man II,Contra,DuckTales, or even the original Super Mario Bros. on your first try. You have to take your time, practice through trial and error, or try whatever else you can to triumph.

With that said, this game is not ANYWHERE as hard as most of those games; during my second playthrough, I plowed through in a little over an hour without using any of my continues. The game may be short, too (16 levels and 4 bosses), but at this point in time, the price is very justifiable. Heck, I think there are plenty of old games that still cost more than this game!

If you love to play oldschool video games, treat yourself with this game. It's not perfect, but I fully recommend it!
on September 17, 2015
The game is a throwback to 80's and 90's side scrolling arcade games. It is mostly 2D platforming with a little bit of shooter (like Gradius or R-Type) and some top down portions. It will take between 4-6 hours for a gamer to beat. The level design is decent. The game is medium in difficulty. It auto saves with each level you beat so you can attempt to beat the harder levels/bosses as many times as you need. I had well over 40 lives going into the last world. It will take a few minutes to figure out how to beat certain bosses and a few of them were not obvious. It shouldn't take you near as long as some of the other reviewers stated.

The game is solid but it is nowhere near as polished as a Mario game. Most games aren't. That does not make this a bad game. If you enjoy classic video games and Regular Show then you will most likely enjoy this game.
on January 8, 2016
Got my kid a ds for Christmas but no Mario game because it's not cheap. He loves Regular Show so I got this (among others) and I play it more than he does!! 8 bit land. Ha ha. Memories! Kid was pretty impressed with Mom's video game skills.
on January 3, 2014
Reminds me of the old school games I used to play in the 80's and 90's...my kid loves it because it's not like the new high-tech games she's used to. Perfect compendium to the show, which shares the same retro-spirit.
on March 15, 2015
I almost picked up this game at GameStop for 13$, checked amazon and saw it was 10$ and hit the buy it now one click thing, thought I saved myself 3$.

I didn't have high hopes because I wasn't a fan of either of the adventure time games but gosh dang.. I wasn't expecting this. This game is TERRIBLE. You die so easily sometimes when you'll be sure you shouldn't have. I just died 24 times on the first boss and I know all 24 of those aren't my fault.

I wish I could return this. But I'll just give it to someone I dislike for Christmas.
on October 30, 2013
This game is great fun! I really like the old 8 bit music and the gameplay is fun. The game is pretty difficult if you don't play tons of side scrollers.
on January 7, 2015
I'm a fan of the show and I wanted this to be good, but it is really broken. In the first fifteen minutes of playing the game I jumped to the top platform in the game and then fell through everything solid and died. It would have been okay of that was just a random glitch, but it's been glitchy all the way up until the first boss, which is where I'm unfortunately stepping away from this game. I don't mind a difficult game, but I really want the frustration to be worth it. I don't feel like the game has enough of a reason to keep going. I understand that a lot of the games we grew up with in the 80s were similar in difficulty, but we don't have to make it just as glitchy. Maybe I'm missing out on something because I'm not continuing, which is the only reason I'm giving it two stars instead of one. I'm not completely convinced of that, but I'm trying to be fair. If you are looking for an enjoyable platformer, I can't recommend buying this.
on February 21, 2015
I normally don't write too many product reviews as most of the time most folks would just YouTube footage of a particular game if they want to see it these days. But this one is just way too "ol' skool kool" for its own good for me not to (the manual has a Sega Master System cover which gave this game throwback pts. in my book) . I'm writing this review listening to Area 2 music while I write this, solidifying why one would want to purchase this game. I don't have alot of knowledge on the source material of the show, but after playing this game (and still working towards completing it), it does a great job on setting up a potential person to want to check out this show if your a nostalgia lover of sorts which I plan to do in the near future.

Mordecai and Rigby in 8-bit Land is basically a love letter to the old school NES days of gaming: one-hit, but sensibly fair player deaths encouraging the player to actually try your hardest in winning the game as well as doing a little bit of creating and thinking while advancing through levels. Great chiptune music (once I get to the credits it wouldn't surprise me of Jake Kaufman was involved some with this OST), with plenty of references to the NES days of gaming (top-scrolling stage ala Super C), Atari 2600 style bosses and much more. But on the other side of the coin, some of the stages can be a bit on the cheap side in terms of getting through them, with many clipping issues in certain stages, blind jumps that can hinder progress and a few other distractions that can annoy you at times. But all in all these are just a few gripes about the game that won't hinder the overall experience. If you like basic NES style game play with a decent amount of content (don't expect a long game I think but it has just enough for the price I got this for) and even better, are familiar with the cartoon, don't hesitate in getting this game made by WayForward. (maker of the Shantae series of games)

See 1 answered question