This is just another way for corporations to squeeze the consumer. Regulatory Cost Recovery, my aching back!! This is merely another cost of doing business that is being passed on to users. What's going to be next, an Employee Salary Recovery Fee? This fee, while "only" $2.50 per month, almost made me reconsider signing up with Cingular (Verizon, my last service, didn't charge this fee.) Bogus!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2006
All I can say is: WOW! I've had regulatory cost recovery fees before, and this one blows them all away! As usual I was a bit skeptical at first, but after paying the regulatory cost recovery fee for a couple months I was hooked! I'll _never_ go back to my old regulatory cost recovery fees!! Now some of you may not be convinced, and you may think the price is a bit high, and it is - but you have to think about the value you're getting. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to pay a little bit more and get a more feature-rich and reliable regulatory cost recovery fee. And frankly, I wouldn't want my money going to a fee that I wasn't 100% sure would recover my regulatory cost. So in conclusion, if you're looking for a great, albeit somewhat pricey regulatory cost recovery fee, you can't go wrong with this one!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2005
The regulatory cost recovery fee rocks! I haven't had any problems with the charge being added to my bill. I was afraid that this was one of those specials that only select customers would win, but fortunately I was able to qualify without filling out any forms. Thank you Amazon for not doing any of those pesky rebate forms for this, you've instantly added it to my bill without my having to do any extra work.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love regulations. And I love fees even more. Amazon has done an amazing job entertwining the two into a fun, easy to use package enjoyable by all. Supurb.
on June 12, 2006
What is a Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee? It's a charge the phone companies add to your bill to recover a cost they pay to do things the government forces them to. It's composed of several things

1. Fees paid to the FCC. The FCC rakes in money for the things it regulates and cellular phone services is one of those things.

2. Federal TRS service. Cingular must pay a fee to this fund that's used to pay for someone to sit on the other end of a TTY service and "talk" to you when the person who's calling you or that you called is deaf.

3. Wireless Local Number Portability and Number Pooling. It use to be in the old days that the local exchange portion of the telephone number (the 555 part of a number such as 1-813-555-1212) routed your phone call to a specific piece of equipment in your neighborhood or to a particular cellular phone company. When we started to have choice is home phone service and more choice in wireless phone service people wanted to be able to keep their number. This service allows them to do that but to implement it the phone companies needed to talk nice to each other and all upgrade their equipment. This is a fee you pay to make sure all the phone companies talk nice to each other.

4. E911. This pays to make sure there's someone who picks up when you dial 911. It is now also supposed to ensure that when you call 911 from a cellular phone the operator can figure out where you are since you're likely not at your home address.

Why isn't this just called a "Tax"? Well, most of it is just money paid to the government to make things happen, but unlike most taxes the money isn't taken from random places and used to pay for random things. It's money taken from a service to pay for things related directly to that service. Additionally some of the money is not paid directly to the government but to quasi governmental groups (they aren't the government, but the government runs them and forces you to pay them). If politicians called these things "Taxes" then they wouldn't get elected again. If the phone company simply added the fees to their expenses and increased the costs of your plans then some day one phone company would realize that they could offer a lower priced plan but then just tack on the fees after you've signed up and in essence charge you the same amount. This may also be the phone companies way of saying "see what you made me do?"

How can they make me? Well, they are the government, they are here to help us. Seriously folks, they are the government. They have the police, the FBI and the IRS on their side. They also have the military if it gets to that point, but really, I don't think they'll go that far over Regulatory Cost Recovery Fees. On our side we have the vote. People said they wanted to have 911 work and to know where they were no matter where they were using their phone and we have it. It costs money one way or another and we either pay the cost recovery fee or alll the phone companies rates go up a little bit.

There is a little known secret about these fees though. You don't have to pay the fees. The downside is that the phone company will shut off your service at some point in time for not paying the extra couple of bucks a month, but with number portability you can switch to a new provider for as long as they will let you slide and with the FCC allowing more than two providers in each area you can run that game for some time. Eventually though you'll run out, probably within a year and likely saving no more than a single months . That's why I pay my Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee in full, on time, every month and you should too!
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2009
I was going to buy a new PlayStation 3 and a few games when I stumbled across this offer for Regulatory Fee! I really couldn't resist and in fact next to being torn with the temptation of ordering a Rolex, ordering the PS3 or pulling the trigger on this one, I found an uncontrollable urge and my mouse going crazy to do a left click.

So now I have a new Blackberry Bold that I love and a Regulatory Fee that I hope I don't see again until this phone dies in about 2 years.
on September 23, 2005
AW YEAH! Love paying fees, especially to recover regulatory costs. Those are my favorite kind of costs, doubly my favorite to recover. CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH? AMEN MY BROTHERS!

Amazon if you're hiring and want programmers who write code that doesn't send out idiotic review-requests for stuff like this, email me.
on March 9, 2007
Before I got this one, I couldn't imagine paying $2.50 for a Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee. Now I can't imagine living without it!

Some of the other reviewers don't seem to understand what they bought. They ordered a wireless plan on Amazon and didn't realize that it came with a Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee. Then they were asked to write a review before they even realized what they got.

But a little experience shows that this Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee is a marvel of innovation that is packed with value!

Think about it. There was a time when phone companies were much more heavily regulated. Then congress passed lots of new laws to change phone company regulation and allow more competition. These laws are extremely complicated, and the congressmen needed help writing them. So, the phone companies came to the rescue with teams of lobbyists to help write the new laws!

The problem was that those lobbyists were extremely expensive. To make matters worse, the phone companies knew that if they didn't get everything they wanted, they'd have to hire even more expensive lawyers to fight the laws. So in exchange for agreeing to deregulation, they invented the beautifully-named Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee. Hurray!

This wonderful invention allows the phone companies to charge an extra fee over-and-above the rates that they are allowed to charge for their services, so that they can fund the very expensive effort of fighting the other parts of the laws that they don't like! They can make the fee any amount they want, because it doesn't actually go to any government or regulatory body. It just goes straight to the phone company so they can hire more lawyers. With high-powered Washington lawyer/lobbyists charging $400 an hour, you can imagine how hard it would be to survive without these great fees!

What's even more brilliant is the name. "Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee" is one of the greatest product names ever. It just screams out "I'm official." It sounds so much like a tax, people actually believe that it is one, and it sounds so official, nobody questions the exact amount.

In summary, this is one brilliant product that's packed with value.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2009
out of all the regulatory fees i've ever paid, this was HANDS DOWN the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i absolutely loved every minute of the joy that it brought to me and my family!!! five out of FIVE STARS!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When Amazon sent me an email asking me to review this product, I was both flattered and frightened. Sure, any writer is proud to be asked for his take, but how could I adequately review a regulatory cost recovery fee? I mean, nobody likes to pay fees. But this fee in particular is perhaps not as bad as the rest.

You see, I'm one of those rare people who thinks regulations are a good idea. Especially utility regulations. Anyone who lived in California while Enron was bleeding electrical customers dry probably agrees that regulation is ultimately best.

And this is the weird problem with cell phones: generally you aren't charged for long distance, hence the taxes usually charged for long distance can't be charged. The government was forced to put a fee on cell phone service.

Now I know many of you are against taxes; I don't like paying taxes either. But ultimately, taxes and fees pay for a lot of things we take for granted, like utility regulations that keep our phone companies from bleeding us dry (for now). Frankly, I wish that most taxes and fees (especially payroll taxes) in favor of a steep progressive income tax that primarily taxed the wealthy, along with an estate tax that forced every American to start on a level playing field. Now THAT would be equal opportunity.

But under our current tax system, this fee isn't so bad. Three stars out of five seems about right, although I hope the government starts regulating these insane text message rip-offs soon. Yahoo sends me a text message every day to "check out the world cup at fifa.com." Hey thanks!

Nobody likes to pay a fee, but if nobody paid them, I'm sure we'd get totally screwed. Look at Enron.