Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on July 29, 2013
used Ibank, Moneywhiz for a long time - tried countless others

with Moneydance I have real visibility and control of my finances - usually with PF apps, 1 module is a flop, whether its budgeting, cashflow , or reporting - but with this app
everything is there and everything is good and works.

there is a superb dashboard, configurable, showing at a glance budgeting, cash-flow forecast , account balances, scheduled transactions

everything is clear, and easy to understand, clean simple graphics, the budgeting is brilliant - the first time I've ever actually started using budgeting properly - set up an annual budget, and then view by month, month-to date, year to date etc , view your bank balance over the coming months, based on scheduled transactions (this actually a 3rd party add-on but you would'nt know it) , view scheduled transactions in a calendar view, view status bars of key budget items in the dashboard - these some examples of many features.

lots of highly configurable reports.

there are cut-down (simple transaction entry ) versions for iphone and iPad - they work and sync without issue

it took me a while to discover this app, as others have better marketing and look more impressive at first glance - but this is by a long margin superior to the others.
on June 28, 2009
I purchased a MacBook Pro last year and have only been using my PC for Quicken. I have 10 years worth of transactions, including investments, credit cards, loans, etc. and all the reviews for QB for Mac said the import process from Quicken was either impossible or a nightmare. I downloaded the trial version of Moneydance, followed the instructions to import my Quicken data and, with the exception of one transfer, every account balanced. The one that didn't, I just looked up the amount using the finder function in the program and found the rouge transaction, fixed it and everything was there. My Quicken program was getting so slow, it was almost unusable. This is lightning quick.

Only addition that would make it perfect would be the "password vault" feature in Quicken that would allow you to do a one step update of all accounts. Moneydance requires that you update each account separately and you need to put your password in each time. Also, I don't see how you can password protect the application.

Otherwise, great product and simple import from Quicken.
on May 14, 2001
As a former user of both Quicken and MS Money, I was a real skeptic of a "new" personal finance manager. I was, however, enticed by Moneydance's claim to support multiple currencies.
When I began using Moneydance I was impressed at how easy it was to use. My Quicken data transfered without a hitch. Best of all, I can handle my different currency accounts like a dream and at the end of the day I know exactly where I stand.
The best "feature" is the reconcile tool. Downside, Moneydance needs startup tips to tell you all the hidden extra features that are built in.
I rate this as A+
on May 30, 2005
After years of using an end-of-life proprietary product from my bank, I finally had to breakdown and move from it due to it's lack of interoperability with XP Service Pack 2. I had delayed doing this for years because of the negative reviews I had seen for Quicken, especially all of the embedded adware. I didn't trust Intuit (or Microsoft either) that a hidden online access point wouldn't be putting my valuable personal financial data at risk in order to promote it's online banking features.

I searched Amazon, and found this product and the reviews, although they were a few years old. (...)

If all you want is a reliable banking application with online bank access and NO ADWARE, this software is absolutely for you. The online component is not included by default, so no worries about the software taking you to a proprietary online banking site like quicken's or microsoft's. However, they make it VERY easy to add-on online banking features and support both .qif and Quicken's new .qdf formats.

All of my data transferred over (my old software was able to export to .qif), although I did have to spend a little time re-organizing things. Whether that is a quirk of Moneydance, or the legacy software I was transfering from, I don't know.

The software has support for investment accounts, although I've never tracked mine using my banking software, so I haven't tried it.

Another big plus for the software is that it is Java based, and will install on any Java-enabled platform. No more being locked into Windows.
on December 28, 2010
I just purchased MoneyDance 2010 and am really pleased with it. After reading all the reviews for Mac personal finance software I was hesitant to try anything. I am a former MSoft Money user on a PC and everything I read suggested that none of the Mac programs were of the same quality. I'm glad to report that after a couple of days of playing with MoneyDance I've found it to be a really nice program. When I had a question about how to get it to "memorize" categories from previously entered transactions I went on the MoneyDance forum and posted a question. Within an hour or two I had a response from the software developers telling me how to implement this function. I also put all my investments in and watched it download current pricing at market closing today. I'm impressed and am quite pleased with the program. Based on my limited experience, I'd definitely recommend giving it a spin. There is a free download that allows you to do 100 transactions before deciding to purchase.
on February 26, 2010
I just converted to a Mac system and used Quicken 2003 till yesterday. Read all the bad reviews of Quicken for Mac, including the new release "essentials", and thought my only option was to use Parallels so I could run the latest version of Quicken for Windows. To my surprise, MoneyDance is basically a clone of Quicken 2003. I was also able to import all my QIF data from 2002 with NO errors!!!! I played around with My Checkbook and Checkbook Pro, but did not like the very limited "reconcile" feature. Highly Recommend this Product!!!
on April 21, 2014
This program is just not worth it. Duplicates financial institution downloads, accepts corrections haphazardly, not intuitive and I just have to give up after 3 months of fighting it. I didn't like Quicken for MAC, did like Quicken for Windows and absolutely hate this. Most of the positive reviews were probably written by friends and family! I consider myself pretty savvy on the computer and this has got to go. If I could get my money back, I would. Right!
on August 28, 2008
I tried the demo, and it imported my Quicken info okay. I couldn't print anything, but I figured this must be a limitation of the demo, since everything else on my Linux (Kubuntu 8.04) system printed just fine. So I paid my $40 to register, and it still won't print.

After spending several days hunting down every link I could find on printing problems and trying every work-around, including all those listed in the bug tracker on Moneydance's site, I filed a bug report. The report was immediately closed with a reference to one of the links I had already tried, along with a snotty reference to checking for duplicate tags first. When I re-opened the bug report to ask if that was all the support they intended to provide for a paying customer with a critical problem (if I can't write my checks, I will have to go back to Quicken), the report was promptly deleted.

So, don't expect any useful support, even after you pay for the product. I'm out $40 - don't make the same mistake!

Sadly, I guess I'll have to go back to my Windows XP system and keep using Quicken 2000. It still works.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2007
I have been using Moneydance for over two years now. Moneydance 2007 just came out and my key was still good for a free upgrade - that's right, my version is current over two years after I purchased it for only $30. Next year I will probably have to shell out $15 for an upgrade and I will do it gladly. The entire time I have had Moneydance, it has worked without a hitch. I use it in Linux, but if in the future I decide to change to Windows, Mac, or some platform that hasn't been invented yet (as long as that platform gets java support) I can take my financial records with me. Amazon shows this product as discontinued by the manufacturer. This is not true. Give them a Google and you'll find them. I just downloaded the latest version today (Jan 29 2007). You can download a free trial that will take 100 transactions and let you play with all of the features before you buy. You owe it to yourselves to at least do that. I am not a representative of Reilly Technologies, nor am I compensated for this in any way (ie I'm not a shill). I am just a very happy customer.
on April 18, 2014
I was really disturbed by the number of bad reviews for Quicken 2014 and even more disturbed by the fact that a lot of the good reviews look fake - the only review that user ever made? So I did some research and downloaded MoneyDance 2014. I am still evaluating it, but it looks like it should be a viable Quicken replacement. It pulled in about 15 years worth of Quicken data - which is probably more than Quicken could do. We have had recommendations from Quicken Support to delete all but the last year worth of data when we had a problem a couple of years ago. Online operations are too easy - it sends bill payments in as you enter them, and downloads seem faster than Quicken. It pulled all the payees and categories from the Quicken export files. Like I said, I am still learning the product, but I really don't see the point of going back to Quicken.