Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Five Star Reinforced Filler Paper, College Ruled, Loose-leaf, 11 x 8.5 Inch Sheet Size, 100 Sheets/Pack (17102)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on August 7, 2012
I am a grad student in engineering so I take a lot of notes including math and things that don't alway fit in the lines. This paper is great for all uses. The lines aren't too dark and it scans well. I honestly do not care about the reinforcement aspect as much as the fact that it is pretty heavy weight paper, at least for filler paper.

Every note I take (both sided if it matters) I put through a feed scanner at the end of the week and this always hold up well.

It can be a bit expensive, especially compared to plain white paper, but you can find it at good (enough) prices and if you write on both sides, 100 sheets lasts a while.

My only real complaint is that I wish the reinforcement strip didn't say "Five Star" everywhere. It should just be clear! That is why I docked it a star (Ironically, I therefore rate "five Star" paper as only four stars)
33 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
"Kids love the reinforced paper but every time I have tried this brand, at least a quarter or more of the sheets have the bottom hole un-punched."

My rebut: I ordered ten packs. Out of the one thousand pieces of paper that I received, none of them had a missing hole punch.

"I bought four realms of paper. Two realms had no visible lines on the front side only the backside."

My rebut: Again, I ordered ten packs. None of them are missing lines, reinforced plastic, or any hole punches.

"The reinforce plastic is very weak. Very disappointed."

My rebut: The video is clear evidence that these papers aren't "very weak." On top of the reinforcement, the papers themselves are fairly thick and durable. They aren't low-quality.

"Don't buy this paper. It is NOT standard 8 1/2 x 11, as they claim. It is 8 x 10 1/2. What a waste of money."

My rebut: That's completely false. This is the only review that made me skeptical as to whether or not I should buy this item. As shown in the video and the product description, the paper is clearly 8 1/2 in x 11 in.
66 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2008
I don't know what the deal is with teenage boys, but binders look like war zones with crumpled, half torn and tattered pages. This is the answer!!! The reinforcement is like plastic tape along the edge, through which the holes are punched. Genius!!! And there are 100 sheets, not 75 as the reviewer below mistakenly reports. The wide ruled has 110 sheets. Both qualify as 75 points in the Mead promotion.
on March 7, 2015
I enjoy writing on paper that lays completely flat on the writing surface. This paper curls up along the reinforced edge. It does not lay completely flat. This is extremely annoying to me and outweighs the benefit of the reinforced edge.
review image
on September 1, 2012
I used bargain paper in my flex binders and it immediately began to rip and fall out, making me remember why I did not use binders last time I was in school. A friend recommended this and I will never go back. Yes it costs a lot more than the .99 cheap stuff but it is worth my not having to put stickies all over my papers and waste time and aggravation. I grumble at the cost every time I buy it, but I cannot bring myself to go back to bargain paper. I intend to save all my notes so it is important to me to make sure that the paper I use is quality.
on February 24, 2016
Substantial improvement over standard filler paper. I first purchased this paper at an office supply store during the fall supply round up a few years ago and grabbed it because of the reinforced edge and 20# paper. My son's school requires that they carry a 3-ring binder and the holes were always getting ripped out on the filler paper I'd used the year before. This paper proved to be much better than I'd expected. No more pages ripping out of the binder. The paper is a good sturdy weight which is has a good smooth writing surface. The lines are lighter than most notebooks but easy to see and are light enough to not copy on a photocopy machine (but do copy on my HP printer scanner). The reinforced edge does have writing on it that says "Five Star" but I do not understand why this has bothered some of the reviewers, it is not invasive or bothersome. We've also never had an issue with the paper not laying flat unless it got damp. We've had no issue with ink bleed through with standard pen - ball point or roller ball. A gel pen that my son likes you can see there is writing on the other side but it does not bleed through and he can writer on both sides and read both sides clearly. My fountain pen with a medium point is visible on the other side but does not bleed through unless I pause too long in one spot.
on July 12, 2015
Yes, it costs more. Yes, the packages contain fewer sheets. But I want - scratch that, I NEED - my notes to stay organized at all times. I'm a chemical engineering student and some classes, I'll use 7-8+ sheets for notes in one day. I buy this in bulk when it goes on sale.
Why's it so great? First, there's a strip of strong plastic attached to the outermost left margins of every page. The three holes are placed through the page where the plastic reinforcing strip is. Also, this paper is slightly higher-quality. It's heavier, thus making it thicker. It takes work (or scissors or opening the binder) to remove these pages from the rings by just pulling.

The weight/thickness of the paper is close to that of 20 pound copy paper. I work hundreds of long, complicated problem sets, and this paper is up for the task of the huge numbers of erasures I make while doing homework.

It comes in wide- and college-ruled, as well as graph paper. I've used them all for years, and I've NEVER torn one hole from this brand of paper. It's wonderful, I highly recommend you give it a try.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2014
My high school aged child insisted on this brand of paper after the cheap beginning of school year paper I bought kept ripping in her binders. I never thought there would be much difference in the paper (other than the lines being crisper.) But there IS a difference. So we will be buying this again, and probably from Amazon as we could not find it anywhere locally.
on April 28, 2012
pretty much necessary for a college student taking a lot of hand-written notes...

regular paper just rips out of binders instantly -- disorganizing your entire semester. Definitely recommend these to keep a tidy notebook for a LONG time. Mine have even lasted years in storage being thrown around in a box.

5-star is a little overpriced when Staples makes their own brand.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 6, 2015
In front of the student binders at our learning center I like to place a couple sheets of lined paper to keep track of supplementary pages I do with them. A problem is that with multiple turnings the holes on the pages tear making the loose pages easy to lose. For me these reinforced filler pages are a great solution, much better than those stick on hole reinforcements that can be tricky to line up. I've used these reinforced pages for years and they have never failed me.

These 20 pound quality pages resist ink bleed, but since I only write on one side, bleeding is not a factor for me.

Note - With prime I got this reasonably priced pack of paper delivered to my door in three days. How can you beat that?