Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2012 2:56:09 PM PDT
What is the release date for the Wii U?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 3:20:03 PM PDT
No one knows just yet. All we've heard from Nintendo officially is "Holiday" 2012, so likely sometime before Black Friday. A lot of people have November pegged as the release month, but I'm hoping for something a little sooner. Releasing in October to coincide with the AC3 launch would be pretty cool, I think. Plus that would give them some room to spread out the software they announced before Christmas.

Really though, it's Nintendo, you never know what they're going to do.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 3:28:32 PM PDT
So it will be sometime in november right?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:24:05 PM PDT
G4TV is reporting that a German site has leaked a release date of 12/21/2012. I think that date is a bit later than what we can really expect though. I think the October/November timeframe is pretty accurate.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:52:38 AM PDT
S. Patterson says:
If this console is not priced at $300 or less it is as good as dead. I will not spend $350 or $400 on a console to play a 2D Mario and Pikmin, even though I would love to play them. Their online plan so far seems mediocre at best as of now and there is no Blu-Ray player built into the device.

I really want Nintendo to win this next-gen console race, but they might price themselves out of the competition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 6:00:58 AM PDT
there will be no bu-ray it is owned by disney and sony ninitendo and microsoft will not go blu-ray and give sony $$

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 11:03:22 AM PDT
I don't think anyone can judge their online system yet. They haven't even revealed their 'eShop' yet or confirmed on how acheivements will work (isolated to each title only or system-wide).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 4:12:15 PM PDT
Chaz Barclay says:
Xbox 720 will have blu-ray.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:10:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 11:25:45 AM PDT
Steve says:
"Xbox 720 will have blu-ray." Who cares. The vast majority of people have stand alone players anyhow. That would have cool a few years ago when blu-ray players were expensive (PS). By the time the 720 is released, you will be able to get a player for $60~70 and you won't have to fumble with a game controller for a remote. I don't remember ever watching a DVD on my 360. I would prefer a console that consentrates their $ on gaming and nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:53:51 AM PDT
Chaz Barclay says:
Thanks Steve, for posting your opinion. My reply was a res ponce to David W Trojanoswski's above post. He said MS will not use a Blu-ray in their upcoming console.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 11:35:15 AM PDT
Steve says:
I wonder why Nintendo (Wii U) went with HD optical instead of Blu-ray? Easier programing maybe?

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 2:58:03 PM PDT
I suspect cost played the primary role. I could be wrong, but I doubt that the programming varies regardless of the type of optical reader used. The reader's only job is to strip the data from the disc and relay it to the processor. The data/programming on the disc should be the same regardless of the type of disc/reader.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 12:39:30 PM PDT
Majin says:
Probably a week or so before we sit down for turkey.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:50:19 PM PDT
ILoveGadgets says:
November 18th looks pretty good.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:23:05 PM PDT
mid November seems most likely to be the time they are going to put it in retail, that is if they intend to Market t for the XMas season in 2012. but Nitendo has a habit of going against expectations, so it may try to issue the unit a few weeks before that, in order to market and scoop up some additional Market shares, to use their terminology. mid November can be a bit late to market the unit for XMas Season.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 12:20:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 12:20:45 AM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
I "predict" a date by October 30th. If that should fail November 16th as my second prediction for this year if its released. If not I'd be happy enough to be corrected by official news :]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 6:21:09 AM PDT
bookfinder says:
There is a rumor saying November 23rd. I am hoping for November, because if it comes out in December like the other rumor, then I won't be able to buy it because I'll have to use that money for textbooks, and I'd rather use my November money on buying something else I've been wanting. However, I'm willing to buy the wii U if it is destined for a November Release. They are also saying though, that it may be moved again to 2013. There is another rumor that says November 18, but they haven't really confirmed a release date. I'd say that if it is not in November, or December, then it will be sometime next year. They are hoping to get it out during the winter quarter of this year though.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:53:19 AM PDT
Steve says:
It was announced today- Release date 11/18/12. $300 for basic. $350 for deluxe. The white is the basic. The black is the deluxe. The white (basic) will be 8G and no game included. The black will be 32G and includes nintendo land. Also, most games will go for $60. More info at nintendo dot com.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (226)