Customer Discussions > Guild Wars 2 forum

Release day delivery?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 10:20:52 PM PDT
Kara says:
When I placed my order with amazon it said get this the day of release when selecting 1 or 2 day shipping, now that comment appears to have been removed in light of the actual release date?

Now showing a estimated delivery date of 30th with overnight delivery?
Amazon has always been great about upgrading people to release day delivery automatically, here is hoping they do the same here! :)

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:12:35 PM PDT
why don't you just buy it directly from the site https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

I'd be really surprised if the install disk in the box is the complete up to date version of the game
you'll probably end up having to download it even if you do buy the box version

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:38:26 AM PDT
Yeah I never order the disc for an MMO. Totally pointless. If Amazon has a download, I'll probably buy it here then.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:36:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 5:20:21 PM PDT
M. Schlecht says:
It needs to ship 3 days before to even use the beta key as listed in it's description, why is date screwed up or the description is totally false advertising.

Amazon posted me1 item - delivery estimate: September 11, 2012 - September 17, 2012 as the delivery date. That's like over two weeks from Aug 28 - 3 days head start... Aug 25.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:17:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 10:26:15 PM PDT
John Galler says:
My advice, if you have the cash to do so right now. Cancel pre-order and just pre-purchase through ANet and start the download. You can have it all patched up and then run the patcher every few days like I do to catch new fixes and content they are throwing out there. You'll be set up for BW3 and the three day head start, plus there are a couple other options available 'deluxe edition' and 'collectors edition' (which have no draw for me particularly, but I've seen a lot of rationale put out that its worth it more to some people since there isnt a subscription involved).

And I'm by no means anti-Amazon, its just there seems to be WAY too much confusion regarding all this in regards to the pre-orders.

Other than to have a physical box to put on a shelf and display, there really is not much of an advantage over physical discs compared to download only version. Its been a VERY long time that I've gotten physical discs on an MMO and not STILL had a huge patch before I could start play. And I game over a cellular connection (as nothing is available other than dial up where I live) so new game purchases always entail taking my laptop to a friend/family member's house, downloading the game, coming back home and transfering it over to my gaming rig. The last MMO I bought physical copy of was Warhammer Age of Reckoning and I STILL had install on my laptop because I wanted to play in the head start.

I think there is a possibility very soon of game companies actually charging more for a physical copy of the game over digital (if there aren't some already).

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:09:02 AM PDT
M. Acosta says:
Just talked to a Rep. asking about this Delivery Estimate in sept. and she said its backorder. wish they had displayed that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:15:25 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
@John Galler - I don't know if the client for BWE3 is the same client for release (patched of course). For release I'd expect to download a whole new client from scratch. But what do I know?

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:50:40 PM PDT
John Galler says:
@J.W. Hill - I sincerly hope that isn't the case...but I'll deal with it if it is. The last several games I've played have just continued to build the beta client until release and if you had been participating in the beta you were all set when it released. Warhammer, SWTOR and from what a couple guildies have said Rift was the same way.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 2:52:38 AM PDT
Pecos Bill says:
You should get a pre-order code.

Typically, in other games, the pre-order code is all you need to download the game and start playing. 5 days later or so they will ask you for your CD-key in order to continue playing.

You should not need your CD-key on the start date, as long as you have the pre-order code. I don't think Arenanet has actually said this yet but that's how literally every other MMORPG I've played has done it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 10:40:16 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
@John Galler - I shall defer to your expertise, as apparently you've ridden this bull before. I have participated in but 2 betas in my lifetime. Both this year. One of which has not released yet ;) and the other I didn't purchase at release.

I don't relish the thought of doing that huge download again either...although it wouldn't technically inconvenience me all that much.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 8:59:47 PM PDT
So I would like to pre order since I have a 20$ off coupon but should i pay 5$ for standard shipping or just use the free shipping which could take 8 days? Im confused how long I could play without the physical copy of the game and usually when I buy a game on amazon they give me release date shipping for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:31:21 AM PDT
I want to reinforce John's point - make sure to run the client at least once a week even if there's no Beta Weekend Event going to obtain new updates. I did so this morning and had over 600 new files totaling about 130MB downloaded. This will both keep your beta client up to date and save you a LOT of time when the next BWE comes around and everyone is trying to download the latest patches at the same time. For instance, before the 2nd BWE we had to basically re-download the whole thing which amounted to something like 12GB and it would have been a lot more of a hassle if I hadn't done so several days ahead of time.

By the way, the next (and final) Beta Weekend Event is July 20-22. Here's hoping that ArenaNet has finally gotten the Asura and Sylvari areas ready to try out!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:35:06 AM PDT
"I think there is a possibility very soon of game companies actually charging more for a physical copy of the game over digital (if there aren't some already)."

Already happening, at least here on Amazon.com. The physical edition of Saints Row: The Third costs $49.99 list price, and I got the digital download edition for, I think, $15.99 at Amazon's Memorial Day sale. I'm planning to get Mafia II next, which I've had my eye on for some time but which also costs $49.99 in hard copy - Amazon sent me an email yesterday advertising a $15.99 special on the game but when I went to check out the entry, the price had _dropped_ to $11.99! Digital download is definitely the way to go nowadays, especially when you can keep a permanent record of your purchases like here on Amazon so that you can re-download if something goes wrong or if you want to put it on another machine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:37:05 AM PDT
I don't know if you'll have to download a whole new client for "live" - there's still debate ongoing about that on the various GW2 forums. But you should expect to have to download another BIG patch to the beta client before BWE #3 on the 20th of July. That's why I said in my response to John Galler that you should run the client at least once a week even when nothing is going on and download any available updates. It'll save you a great deal of time when the BWE actually comes around.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:39:43 AM PDT
I'm hoping for that, too. The portions of the game that have been made available to beta participants so far are in a very, very high state of completion and polish already, so much so that if the game consisted of only Human, Charr and Norn regions I'd say it were already ready to go. I don't think ANet is going to go back and insist that everyone re-download from scratch. I do expect another multi-GB update before BWE #3 and, assuming the best case and we only need to update our beta clients, another big download before headstart weekend begins on 8/25.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 11:08:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2012 11:10:00 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 4:34:07 PM PDT
For anyone still following this discussion, ArenaNet is now issuing updates almost every day as they patch and refine various parts of the game preparatory to the headstart launch on August 25th. There was a 450MB update early this morning and another 100MB update late this afternoon. The expectation in the community is widespread that there will be one more "stress test" (a special, brief activation of the game servers to test server load, check various issues, etc.) this week when nVidia releases its new video drivers; some significant issues with the current nVidia drivers were discovered during the last few stress tests and the company is supposed to issue new ones, possibly tomorrow (August 21).

One special note: ArenaNet has announced that it might open the game servers early on headstart launch night to help manage the load, which is expected to be quite heavy. The scheduled time for headstart launch is 12 midnight Pacific / 3 am Eastern / 8 am Greenwich; however, the servers might be opened for business anytime up to 3 hours earlier (as early as 9 pm Pacific).

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:28:51 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
Stress Test already announced for today (Aug 21) From Noon to 4PM (Pacific)

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:43:37 AM PDT
Mike says:
WARNING!

If you ordered a physical copy for GW2 without using 1-2 day shipping, you will NOT be able to play GW2 until you recieve your copy in the mail. A.nets 5 day grace period prevents you getting acess to the game despite the head start code amazon sends you.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:05:04 PM PDT
AshenTech says:
Mike, this is because some people cancled their preorders before ship hoping they wouldnt still be able to play.....it happens.....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Guild Wars 2 forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars 2 by NCSOFT (Windows)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (573)