Reliable C30 The Board Ironing Board
Format: KitchenChange
Price:$129.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 25, 2011
Never thought I would spend one-hundred bucks on an ironing board, and I also never would have thought I would leave a review and give it five stars either! This board truly is worth the extra money. I had a $15 one from Walmart that the adjustment lever broke after three uses, so this was a huge step-up in price. I decided to give this one a try, because this brand received great reviews and there were no "in-between" models of other brand ironing boards- either the cheap ones that I know will break, and this was the next price category. The price I paid for this one was $99, and I believe it retails for about $169, so this must be a bargain. I have to call this board a "designer" ironing board because it is actually made in Italy! It is wider than most ironing boards, has an attached rack for holding an iron, starch, hanging clothes, etc. The adjustment lever seems sturdy, as well as the entire body.
on August 12, 2011
When I purchased this ironing board, I was so excited because of all the other great reviews out there. I sew clothing and need to iron a lot of fabric every day, so I needed something sturdy, large, and reliable. Well, when I opened the box, there were no instructions for this board (for the end where the iron is supposed to sit). I figured out how to raise and lower it just fine, but the accessory table on the end is weird. I just never got it. It wants you to push down the middle section and put these rubber stoppers in it, and it just doesn't make sense for an iron--my iron didn't fit well there (there's no pictures of any irons to show you how to place your iron there safely--it's just not user friendly), and it was just more of a hassle.

Then, that same accessory table thing just kept causing more problems. The cord of my iron would get stuck in between it and the board CONSTANTLY during use. I tried several different configurations of the board and iron, but it just kept happening, and it was really annoying. And from looking at it, it cannot be removed unless you "rig" it off somehow.

The board top itself is wider, but not longer than any traditional board--and with it tapering at the end, still didn't seem larger to me.

Next, yes, it's sturdy, but really not as sturdy as I would have imagined it to be. It's almost like the board needs to be weighted down more (heavier than it is at the bottom).

Also, the board surface itself during ironing puckers a lot, which is hard to explain actually, but here goes: whenever I am ironing close to the narrow end of the board (now the entire length of the board), the iron pushes down on the surface and it pops up and down a bit--that just shouldn't happen.

Overall, if I'd have paid $30 for this, I'd be happy and satisfied; but paying around $100 is just not worth it. I am returning this, and picking up a new ironing board from a local shop instead that I can try out before buying it.

UPDATE: December 2011. So, I ended up having to keep this board because my iron leaked all over it the night before I was to send it back, and the water stain just wouldn't come out! My mother-in-law was recently in town, and commented how she didn't like it--the cord from the iron gets stuck, even when you put it through the end part (which is where the instructions need to be included to set it up). She couldn't believe that I'd paid so much for it. It still isn't very sturdy, it pops up and down while ironing or pressing, and for the life of me, I cannot get the cover to look clean, no matter how often I wash it (and it's not a standard cover that can be replaced easily, I probably have to special order it through the company). That's another thing, the cover is not the best--it constantly needs to be repositioned because the sides come up onto the top while ironing, and the white part of the cover (around the edges) is not "heat resistant" if that's the right word for it. If, while ironing, the cover shifts and the white part ends up on the top of the board, it will burn into the iron, so then I have to clean my iron. These are things that just shouldn't happen with a nice board. Now, understand, I iron EVERY SINGLE DAY because I sew for a living. So, this is why I am so critical about this board. I just feel that it really is overpriced, and not perfected as a board.

UPDATE 1/9/13: Okay, so I'm still using this board. I figured a few things out about it that may be helpful to others. First--the cover that comes with this is the main problem with this board! I bought a new cover: Polder Heavy Use Replacement Ironing Pads and Covers. And now this board is actually performing sooo much better! The cover that it came with was so thin and cheap that I ended up just throwing it away after a few washings. The new cover I bought for it really makes the board! I did have to have my husband spray Rustoleum on the bottom part of the board because I noticed that the steam from my iron was leaving a lot of water on the underside of the board--and it was beginning to rust out under the cover! After spraying with the Rustoleum and the new cover, it's like a new ironing board--I actually am staring to like it more--so I bumped up the stars to 3/5 (keeping it at that because of all the modifications and etc that I have had to do to it since buying it).
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2011
My C30 arrived today in a factory sealed carton. Alas, there were no instructions of any kind in the box. I went to the manufacturer's site to see if there were any instructions - no luck. I've Googled every which way to see if instructions are posted anywhere else. Nope!

The board is very sturdy and well-built, but I couldn't figure out how to keep it from collapsing. It took me a while, relying on old-fashioned trial-and-error, but here's the solution:

Underneath the board is a black notched metal rod that hooks into a white metal crosspiece at different places to adjust height. Included loose in the box is a mysterious aluminum v-shaped piece of metal. Point the v end of the aluminum toward the slanted v end of the board itself, with the aluminum between the black notched rod and the floor. Thread the two other ends of the aluminum piece between the black crosspiece and the board itself. The two ends of the aluminum rod fit into the black tracks on the underside of the board. The spring tension in those two ends holds the notched crosspiece in place.

I do think the manufacturer should include an instruction sheet with a picture of this set-up and/or include that on their website.

The board itself is great, once I got it to stay together without collapsing -- very stable and a nice width.
on January 15, 2011
I bought this to hold my Rowenta steam system iron - it was too heavy for my regular ironing board. When my cheap ironing board collapsed while I was ironing, it broke my expensive steam system iron so I had to buy another iron. I hated to spend $100 for an ironing board, but it was worth every penny. Now I don't worry that my ironing board will collapse. Great investment!
on February 24, 2011
I hate that I have to iron my nicest, priciest shirts so that they do not get ruined by cleaning, pressing that melt the glue between the collar leaving marks on them. I am a 6 ft man and I found this by far the simplest yet strongest and most confortable ironing table I have ever met. To my surprise, ironing has been more pleasurable lately.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2011
Firstly, I've never really ironed before and had no idea whether or not this would be a good product. I relied heavily on the reviews when considering this purchase.

Set up & assembly:
There were no loose or additional parts inside the box; all parts were installed and functional. The height adjustment mechanism, which is a spring-loaded lever with notches cut in to it that lock it into a white rod on the front leg, is easy to use and secures the board at one (1) of eight (8) different height options. I'm 6'-0" and found the highest notch to be satisfactory. The first thing I noticed about the adjustment mechanism is that it's bent, curving to one side; this doesn't affect the functionality or cause the board to drop or anything, but for the high price this piece of metal ought not to have been bent. To my dissatisfaction, the legs are not level, which cause the board to wobble side to side a bit on hardwood floors, but it's not noticeable on carpeted surfaces. The front leg and back leg are not level with themselves as opposed to each other. I took out a straight edge and a level to confirm that the tubing comprising each leg that contact the floor are not level. Immediately after taking it out of the box I was disgusted, having paid such a high price finding that the board wasn't level and wobbled, however after using a it a few times on hardwood floors I found it less of a problem, but still a problem. Finally, I used a utility knife to shave off part of the plastic cap on one of the front and back legs to level it. Lastly, a leaflet was included with a picture showing how to install the four (4) rubber plugs into the holes in the tray. I still don't know what the intended use of these plugs is though. I'm guessing, perhaps a cold iron can be placed face down on these rubber plugs protecting the iron from getting scratched on the tray. Unfortunately, the instructions didn't state the intended use of the tray.

Use:
I've only used the board a few times, and as it's my first board and time ironing, I can't attest to the performance compared to other boards. I've figured out how to use the tapered end to iron clothes just fine and it works. The only problem encountered while ironing was that the cord became stuck between the tray and the board several times, which I noticed other reviewers noted. When reading those reviews I discounted the problem, as it was probably just how they were ironing, but after doing it myself I've concluded it's an issue. I'd love to remove the tray as I don't need it, but it's riveted in several places onto the tubing framework. At some point in the future, I envision getting out the drill and drilling out the rivets to remove the tray.

Observation:
I don't know if other ironing boards have such a feature or not, but this board doesn't ratchet closed. After reaching the lowest height adjustment notch the board just collapses closed. If you're not prepared for the collapse then you'll be surprised as the board actually collapses to the floor.
on July 20, 2011
The main reason I was willing to pay a premium price for an ironing board was my dissatisfaction with the one I had purchased at a kitchen/bath specialty store. It seemed so "tippy"-- very unstable, and I was afraid it might tip over, knocking the iron to the floor. The Board took care of this problem. It is very stable and sturdy.
The one feature I don't like is the iron rest at the end. I don't care for the design and would take it off if I could unscrew it from the bottom, but it appears permanently bolted so that I can't do this.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2011
This thing is sturdy. You could probably sit on it. It seems like it was built to last. But there were some serious missed opportunities with the engineering. If you are going to call it "The Board" and charge $100 it should be the end all, be all of ironing boards.

It's about 40% wider than an average ironing board, meaning you will have a heck of a time finding another cover for it. The good news is that the cover that comes with it is pretty good, though it does bunch a little bit.

The biggest mistake that they made with this board is the iron stand. I sort of like its cord management feature, which is why I didn't just cut it off, but it:
1. Adds way too much length to the board making it hard to hang up. Why not just make it shorter?
2. You can no longer really iron from that end of the board. That was the reason I wanted the wider board as it was almost shoulder width for putting a shirt or jacket on it.
3. Could have just been lowered by 2 inches to accommodate shirts, pants, and jackets

They should have also added some holes on one of the legs so you could just hang it by a screw or two.

This thing is a bit disappointing unless you only use the tapered end of the board.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2011
Ironing used to be my most loathsome household task because it took a long time, and there were ironing board marks in the clothing, etc. Now, with my new C30 The Board Ironing Board, and my new Panasonic NI-C78SR iron (replaced a Rowenta I got at Costco, and absolutely hated), it goes much faster! I can get my ironing done in half the time, and it's actually a pleasure.

Pros:
1. The board is extra wide. That means I spend less time turning the clothing and even less time ironing because I can iron twice as much clothing with one turn.
2. The pad that comes on the board is nice and squishy. That means no ugly ironing board marks ironed into the clothing.
3. I can iron my toddler's size 3T t-shirts, shorts, and trousers on one side only, stretched out on the nice wide part of the board, and I don't even have to turn them because with two or three swipes of the iron they're ready to go.
4. I caught my 29-pound toddler hanging on it one morning, and it didn't topple or collapse. While I do not permit him to do so, it's nice to know it worked out okay in case he does it while I'm not looking.
5. I can iron large items like sheets, decorative fabric shower curtains, etc., very quickly and easily.

Cons:
1. The board is big and bulky (but I don't find it heavy) if you want to move it. I'm 5'2" and live in a 3-story townhouse, so for me, once it was set up, that's where it's home was going to be until my husband can move it again for me.

Question for Other Reviewers:
Does anybody know if the ironing board cover for the C60 fits the C30? It doesn't say it does, but it doesn't say it doesn't, and I don't want to buy it unless I know for sure.

Honestly, I never knew what I was missing until I bought this. I thought a skinny board with a hard surface was the way to go. I know now how wrong I was! Succumb to the temptation and buy this ironing board!
on January 10, 2013
I bought this to have something to replace the standard Target/Walmart/etc. ironing boards. The selling point for me was the width. I like it more than I expected to. For those wondering about the rubber grommet things, I *think* they are heat resistant. You install them with the larger side facing up, and you need to use a pair of pliers to pull on the nipple side from the bottom until it is fully inserted. It takes a bit of force, hence the pliers. That's what the instructions are trying to say but they're impossible to understand. You then bend the two panels in a manner that lets your iron rest inside. I haven't had the courage to let the iron sit against the rubber for more than a minute or so, so I'm not completely sure that's the point. But my assumption is that they protect the metal part of the iron from scratches.

Something I didn't see noted in any other review is the fact that the feet are actually rubber and not plastic. That's a huge selling point for me. I have hardwood floors in my house and this board never budges a bit due to the rubber feet gripping the floor. That was a nice surprise.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations