Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reliable Sensor Velocity V200 Compact Vapor Generator Steam Iron
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 18, 2013
Let me just start out by saying that it is a pet peeve of mine to read reviews on issues other than the product. There is a place for leaving vendor feedback else where on this site. Now, having vented a little ...

I have owned this iron since Christmas and use it constantly. Besides having to iron my own clothes I am a sewer/quilter. This iron heats up super fast and as advertised, it doesn't spit or leak. Steam doesn't depend on the heat of the sole plate as there is a second heating element just for the steam, and let me tell you it gets HOT! And because the steam has its own heating element, this function is available at the iron's lowest temperature setting. I don't think that's something most irons can claim. The other thing I like about it is the stay on feature - great for quilters. My only issue is that once you enable this feature, you have to unplug to disable. Simply turning the iron off doesn't disable, unlike the V100. (I know what you're going to tell me, I should unplug the iron whenever not in use anyway, however, I don't do this when I'm just going to take a break for 1-2 hours.) But when I forget to enable the stay on feature, all I have to do is touch the handle when I hear the automatic shut off beeps and the iron wakes up again. Very convenient. I would recommend this product.
on April 22, 2013
I just received my V200. I can't yet comment on longevity, but as for performance, this iron is clearly in a league of its own when it comes to self-contained designs (as opposed to steam generators such as Reliable's i300 iron, which still perform better.) It visibly out performs my Rowenta Ultra Professional.

First, this iron is very fast to heat up. It went from cold to MAX in 1 min 40 sec. And it was ready to steam too. A good steam generator will take 15 minutes to heat up. I presume this speed is due in part to the hard-anodized aluminum soleplate (which glides well over material, btw) as well as the high wattage (1800 watts means that no other appliance can be on the same circuit with the iron.) So if you're the type of person that puts off ironing that shirt until you have to wear it NOW...this iron is a good choice.

At the MAX setting you get a "dry", invisible steam and lots of it...not the "wet" visible steam puffs you get from lesser irons. Even at the MIN setting the steam leaves the iron invisible but immediately become visible (still better than most irons.) Like Reliable's pro irons, the Velocity irons have steam holes in the front only. This is not "cheap" or "poor" design! You steam the material with the front of the iron, and then dry and set it with the rear of the iron. If the entire soleplate was full of holes, you won't get much steam pressure, which means you have to first "steam" the material with several slow passes to get it damp and then turn off the steam and set the material with additional passes. With such an iron and lack of proper technique, you hang up the shirt and the old wrinkles appear again. With the V200 you can perform both steps in one slow pass. Of course, this also means that you really have to iron in one direction only (which you should be doing anyways.) Due the amount of steam, dry invisible steam, and steam pressure, you MUST keep your fingers clear of the front of the iron or you WILL burn yourself! (go ahead...ask me how I know this ;)

Alas, nothing is perfect, and this iron also has some issues. The temperature dial is a little small, and due to the design of its placement, you don't have much to grab onto when setting your temperature. If you like to hold your iron towards the front of the handle, then the steam buttons are easily pressed (it's better to hold towards the rear, and press the rear down while letting the front "float" over the material.) And of course, you can't have lots of steam without lots of water, and there's only so much water a self-contained iron can hold. I'll get one shirt from a full iron. Fortunately, it's easy to fill and heats up quickly. And then there's the "sensor" aspect. Frankly, I would prefer a simple mechanical switch to turn the steam on or off. I almost went with the Velocity V50 for that reason. However I wanted the upgraded soleplate, as well as the better look. The "sensor" function seems to work just fine and definitely saves water. I just hate having such electronics that, should it fail, can render a perfectly good heating element useless.

This iron is great, but remember...it's just a consumer-level self-contained unit. Those videos on youtube claiming to iron a shirt in three minutes are BS. You can't iron a shirt that fast unless you have a good quality steam generator, as well as a vacuum ironing board (or if the shirt starts out with the perfect level of dampness, in which case you don't need steam at all.) This iron, and your cheap wobbly ironing board, will not perform like 800 bucks worth of equipment (minimum.) However, I'd say that you can get closer to such a level of performance with this iron than with any other self-contained iron. Recommended.
on June 23, 2013
I bought this iron in March. It had a few glitches in design that bugged me - like how the steam buttons are easily hit when ironing - but the steam was great. While it lasted. I use the iron almost daily for quilting and garment construction. This morning I was all ready to get busy sewing, turned on the iron and the fireworks started! The lights flickered and the water came spitting out of the soleplate like nobody's business. I guess the tank must have burst or an electrical problem. This is the most I have ever spent on an iron and the shortest time for it to work. I think it's back to basics.
1010 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
Since I was introduced to Reliable last summer, my Velocity iron has proven to be a work horse. I actually love to iron and being a quilter, it gets used daily. I thought NO WAY could you improve on a classic....
UNTIL your new sleek model, SENSOR. Ok, first the colour, design is out of the park lovely...the ease to operate, turn it on, add filtered water and steam is there within seconds....
I crumpled up a fat quarter of 100% quilted cotton, and within a minute, the wrinkles vanished. It is still heavy, ( which I love) and it glides like butter across a hot pan.
I love that it has a large reservoir, pretty cool, or actually HOT.
I now can have both irons at 2 different stations....I am thrilled to bits....I will never ever think of another brand, YOU all are soooo reliable...thank you...

my best mdm samm
sewwequilt.com
on July 13, 2014
I am still not sure if i really like this iron or not. It is a lot of getting used to, all the beeping is about to drive me crazy, LOL Also one thing I don't like is the buttons on the top are too easy to hit with your hand and it changes the setting. Takes a lot of water for steaming and seems like I am always filling it. Would I purchase this iron again??? Probably not for the price, I would just get a much cheaper one and deal with it.
on May 13, 2014
I use this iron about once a week. Have done everything by the book. Today the steam pump would not stop. If I tried to iron anything, it dumped a huge amount of water onto my garment. Turning it off didn't help. It had to be unplugged.

Up until then, it was a great iron. But for the money, I expect something to last more than 7 months. My cheap Black & Decker plugged along for over 5 years.
on October 28, 2013
I'm a long-time Rowena fan, but after the last two leaked within only months of purchase, I was looking for a new brand. This iron did not leak as claimed, but it did not produce enough steam (small number of steam vents) and there is no 'burst of steam' capability. I found the auto-shut off frustrating to set, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I did not find the iron worth of the high price tag. Amazon was fabulous to deal with, no questions, the iron was returned and money refunded in a matter of only days! Still searching for the perfect iron.
on June 3, 2013
I have only had this iron for about two weeks. Purchased it to replaced one expensive iron that suddenly started pouring water out. So that one is gone for good. Replacing a second iron that is not so friendly with delicate fabrics. That iron is now gone. We recently moved and somewhere I have a generator steam iron but so far cannot locate it. Besides, although it was wonderful for long days of ironing (clothes and fabric for quilting), it occasionaly did spit water.

So, all that said, I NEEDED an iron. One that heated of up quickly and did not spit out water. I purchased the ironing board by this company and was thrilled with that, so based on that and the reviews on this iron, I took a chance.

So far, I am VERY pleased with results. I ironed various types of fabric and it did wonders on all types. Glides easily, not too heavy, easy to use.

ONLY complaint so far, is that is guzzles water. I am able to only iron about two to three items before I have to refill with water. Not a big problem for me, but something others should know.

I purchased this iron because of the reviews that stated it heated quickly, perfect for those last minute ironing jobs. And it does just that.

If I don't find my other generator iron, I will probably purchase this same brand with the water reservoir for the long days of pressing.

In short, if you need this to just press a few items here and there, it really is a very nice iron. Well worth the money (at least so far). If you iron all day, get something with a water reservoir.

Over the years I have gone through many irons. Many brands. I have experience with irons. So far, this is the best I have purchased.

I use distilled water per instructions for this iron.

If you are going to a local county fair this year and see a really cool looking iron that says it can iron anything, run don't walk! Won't last you a year.

In summary: reason for four stars instead of five: you will have to constantly fill water tank if you iron more than a few items. I have had other irons similar in style that lasted more than a few garments steam/water wise. HOWEVER, they did not do as good a job.

Still, cannot give 5 stars to something that eats up water so fast.
on February 7, 2014
This iron stopped functioning properly at the "old" age of 1 year and 1 month. I never let it sit with water in it and only used distilled water. Within only a few months of purchase, the amount of steam started to dwindle. I purchased it because it has a second heating element for steam (no drips) but it just doesn't work. Unlike my previous Reliable iron, there is no function for cleaning this iron and the instructions state specifically not to use any internal cleaning products! In this age of great technologies, you would think someone could invent an iron that can maintain adequate temperature and steam that might last longer than 6 months. I sew my own clothes and iron my husbands shirts but still cannot find a truly functional steam iron. I hate that I spent so much money on this junk. Caveat emptor!
on August 8, 2013
If you suffer with arthritis or other muscular/skeletal problems this iron may be too heavy for your use. My quilting teacher suggested this iron for her students, because of it's durability, it does not leak water, or spit out steam like some of the other conventional irons. The Amazon product description is very accurate, and may work for some people, unfortunately, I could not lift this iron for use.