5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BPA free storage container
Published on February 21, 2011 by Lisa Kearns

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks if stored on side.
Published 20 months ago by cbr

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BPA free storage container, February 21, 2011
This review is from: Reliance Products Aqua-Pak 5 Gallon Rigid Water Container (Sports)
I bought two of these 5-gallon water containers, in order to have drinking water handy if the power goes out. We have a well, so without electricity our pump doesn't work. I've got a couple of water-filled 55 gallon water barrels for extended power outages, but for a day or two these containers are just the right size. They would fit nicely in the truck for a camping trip, too.

I really like that they are BPA-free, meaning there are no chemicals leaching into the water. Being food grade plastic, there also won't be any plastic-y taste to the water. These containers stack nicely, and the spiggot is stored inside the lid so it stays clean. They are rigid enough that they don't bulge outward when full, and the handles on both the top and the side mean it's easy to carry and move. There is also a removable plug to allow air to enter as you are dispensing, so no "glug glug" slowing down the flow.

I bought an extra spiggot just in case something happens to one of the ones that came with the container.

I haven't had any trouble with leaking around the gasketed lid, like I've read about some other containers. That also means no dirt will be entering the water while it's being stored. Overall I am very pleased with these containers and highly recommend them to people who want to keep some drinking water on hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for emergency water storage, December 28, 2011
I got these to store an emergency supply of water just in case we were to lose our water supply for a few days. They are designed so they easily stacked on top of each other when they are sitting upright and actually fit together. The spigot can be stored inside the container until needed. They are made in Canada so at least you don't have to worry about if they are contaminated with some chemical like if they were made in China (they put lead in our children's toys so I doubt they worry too much about our water containers) and they are also BPA free which is a big plus.

I got mine, filled it up and it didn't leak which is about the best thing you can say about a water container. It appears to be of good quality construction and material. I only have two minor complaints. You store the spigot inside by screwing it off the outside of the cap and then screwing it on the inside of the cap. This leaves the inside of the spigot fully exposed to the outside environment when stored. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice if they gave you a cap so you could cover that hole to keep out dirt and other contaminants. Also, the small air hole in the top of the container is plugged with a piece of plastic. It is very tight when it is plugged, but I think it would be more secure if they had designed it to screw on just to make sure it does not come loose (especially since you might also use this to haul water in a car and in could get bounced around a bit). These are both very minor issues, though, and overall I think this is a very good container.

**UPDATE 6/16/2012** - I just went on a trip to Death Valley and decided I'd better pack some extra water in the car just in case I ended up broke down somewhere so I packed one of these in the back of my SUV. The total trip was about a week and included driving over 50 miles on a washboard gravel road to see the Racetrack Playa (and I mean every foot of the road was really washboard). Even after all that bouncing around plus a few other shorter washboard roads the container held up. If it can bounce around in the back of my SUV for a few hours on rough roads plus ride around normal driving for a week and still hold up with no leaking I would say it's pretty well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for Hurricane season!, June 25, 2010
Jeff (Sonova Beach) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
These containers are very stout and do not buckle when full. I also like the fact that they can be stacked. The spigot is reversible on the cap and does not leak. I use 4 of these containers for my emergency hurricane supplies. Good value and pricing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks if stored on side., April 14, 2013
cbr "cbr" (Des Moines, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Ours leaked immediately when stored on their sides. Two different containers. I have to assume this is common, and I would not recommend storing on the side at all. This immediately ruled out my initial plan of placing them on the bottom shelf of our garage storage shelves. they take up a lot more room now. My husband was not at all confident stacking would be a good idea either as he didn't feel that the plastic is strong enough with the water weight, so we aren't even trying that. Good to have the BPA free water storage, but not as pleased as I hoped to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good water container, December 6, 2010
I've had two of these for several years now. The only thing I don't like about them is that the inside of the spigot is exposed when you reverse it.

After heavy use, the spigot on one split in two places, at the threaded portion and at the barrel that encloses the valve, and had to be replaced. The split at the threaded portion was due to it being screwed in too tight. I was able to order a replacement from Amazon.

Other than that, my experience has been totally positive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for storage, not so much for camping., July 7, 2012
I purchased one of these for water storage, and after seeing the quality I've since purchased two more. They have a great handle and are flat so they can be stacked. The spout can be reversed, keeping the spicket inside which keeps it from being opened on accident, and also prevents it from being kicked or snagged on anything, preventing breakage during storage.

I would not use these in an environment where they could be contaminated by dust and whatnot, while the spout being reversed is nice for storage it does expose the inside of the spicket to the elements as it is now facing outwards.

If you just want a few gallons of water in case of emergency, buy a few of these. Fill, add a few drops of non-scented bleach and stick them in a closet or under the bed. They don't leak and you'll be able to forget all about them until you really need them, and then you'll be glad you have them.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much freaking win., January 23, 2012
I literally cannot imagine something more perfect for water storage and usage. You can pop one of these in the fridge, and the transparent sides let you know when it is getting low. Storage is super easy and I will be bringing this to soccer, roadtrip, emergencies etc. WOOO!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid carrier, May 25, 2011
Sean "Sean" (Reston, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great carrier and works so much better than collapsing models.

To be improved upon:

- more handles needed as this is hard to pour from when full/heavy.
- wider mouth still... wanted to fit heater/water pump in here and it was just shy of fitting.

Good:

- the hidden spigot was a nice touch
- very strong pastic, especially near the openings. (can't even cut through it)
- very stable on it's side

3.0 out of 5 stars A little difficult to use, April 20, 2012
It's made well, but the spout can't be rotated to point where you need it. Since I have to heft this thing up to refill my RV fresh water tank, it'd help if I could rotate the spout a bit. The vent plug also has a tendency to gravitate back into the vent hole, plugging it. Again, since I'm hefting this thing up, I don't want to have to fiddle with it to keep it working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid product, November 11, 2011
WanderingDude (Albuquerque, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
I plan to buy 8 of these, but I bought just one to see what kind of quality it had. There have been 3 situations within the past two years where friends or family had a need for emergency water at their homes and didn't have any. I went with the 5 gallon rather than the 7 gallon because 5 gallons of water is pretty heavy. This is part of my being prepared for a two-week emergency plan at my home.

It has thick, high-quality, blue, see-through plastic so you can see the water level inside. It has a recessed handle so other containers (the same kind) can be easily stacked on top, making storage easier, and little ridges on top that will fit into the bottom of the container on top, making the stacking very secure (I only have one, so I haven't actually tested the stacking yet, but I can already tell it will work). The cap reverses and has a spigot so it can be turned on it's side to dispense water. I tested the spigot and it is water-tight. It also has a little vent plug near the back of the handle to create venting so the water can pour out easily. The vent plug is also water-tight.

The labeling is not glued on so it comes off easily. I attached my own labels listing the contents and date of storage.

The only thing I see that I wish it had was a long pouring spout such as one would find on a gasoline container. I also think a large funnel would come in handy both for filling it up and for pouring into another container. The spout hole is fairly standard sized, about 2-1/2 inches across. These are not drawbacks to the product, just things I will want to purchase to make it easier to use.

I've only had it a few days, but I can see the quality is great and I anticipate many years of use out of this product.

Recommend