Most helpful positive review
19 of 19 people found the following review helpful
Works on State Select GS640YOCT Water Heater
on February 22, 2013
My water heater is about 6 years old and started to lose its ability to maintain a lit pilot. For a few days, I had to run down to my garage and check to see if the pilot light was still on before taking a shower in the morning. After reading several forums and researching the problem, I found out that the issue was likely one of two things: either the filter into the combustion chamber was dirty and wouldn't allow for enough air to maintain the pilot light or I would have to replace the thermocouple.
I first tried to replace the thermocouple but upon inspection, I realized that due to the fact that this was a newer FVIR type unit, the universal thermocouple replacements typically found in hardware stores wouldn't work. This unit had a disc between the copper line running to the control unit and the thermocouple itself. I decided to give the cleaning a try and cleaned the filter below the water heater. That proved to be a tough task as the space underneath was very limited. Still, I did what I could and while the pilot light remained lit for a couple days, it still went out in the end and continued to do so with more and more regularity as the days passed.
I wasn't able to find a replacement part for just the unique thermocouple itself so I searched for burner replacement units but those were a little pricey at around $65 on up into the hundreds. By chance, I found a link to this unit when searching for a replacement on Ace Hardware's page. Amazon, of course, had a lower price and since Ace didn't stock the item in store anyway, I decided to place my order here. This unit included the thermocouple, a new gasket (great since the water heater warns that the gasket should be replaced every time the current one is removed) and the gas line for the pilot. The replacement worked perfectly for my State Select GS640YOCT water heater. The lines were a little longer than the OEM model but I simply ran those tucked out of the way. I've now been free of issues for the past three weeks.