Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Stephen King's The Stand forum

Remake of "The Stand"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2011 8:29:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2011 9:00:06 PM PDT
Debra says:
I have recently been seeing news of a remake of "The Stand." What do you think of this idea? I personally think it will be horrible if not done right. While I loved the 1994 ABC miniseries I would have liked to change a few things:

1. Recast Frannie. I think this topic has been talked to death so I will leave it at that.
2. Make it longer. While some people were of the opinion it was too long I strongly disagree. The book is full of Stephen King's rich characters along with their backstories. I would have loved to see more of the story in the mini series.
3. I think the mini series would have been better done on a network such as Showtime or HBO, where there could have been some stronger language and more intense scenes.
4. While I hate to say this, I think Uncle Stevie should have been kept out of the mix. While I dearly love his books, his screen plays suck. Dialogue that works in his books does not necessarily work in the movies.

The idea that this story could be told in a two hour move is absurd. Even three hours would not be enough. Some have suggested a movie triology but that would not gain a thing, as the original mini series is six hours long and, in my opinion, did not tell enough of the story.

What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 3:04:32 PM PST
Spencer Cox says:
I am sure it will not satisfy most people who love the book (as most adaptations do not), but it is an exciting prospect. I read that Ben Affleck is set to direct, and after seeing "The Town," I think it's a good choice. The most haunting aspect of the novel is thinking about what it might really be like to be one of the characters living in a broken world, and I think that the feel of Affleck's directing will keep the story grounded in reality, instead of seeming like a fantasy from the beginning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 12:52:55 PM PST
Lady June says:
I agree with most everything you said. There is no way that a film, even a trilogy, would do the novel justice. I can't think of one character who could be left out of a film. If it is remade, I feel it should be at least a 12 hour mini series on HBO or Showtime. I don't agree that King should be left out of a remake. One of King's best talents is his use of dialog. He's able to make the mundane special. I thought the first series was terrific, although not long enough. The only flaw in the series was Molly Ringwald. Everyone else was cast perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 10:22:19 PM PST
Debra says:
After watching AMC's "The Walking Dead" I think that network deserves to do the remake. I think they would do a terrific job.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 3:23:40 PM PDT
Dean says:
Spencer: Is that announcement of yours for Ben Affleck to remake The Stand a recent one because I think that would be fantastic. But it wouldn't be an epic series as the TV one would be unless he made 2 or 3 different movies out of it as Peter Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings. That would be epic. It would take a huge amount of work on his behalf and millions of bucks in production costs. I used to do recording engineering and I have a sense of the costs involved.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 1:23:47 PM PDT
Steve says:
A trilogy of two and a half hour movies might just about do it; but it would have to be done right! And they would need to all be filmed together.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about