5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about the whitening benefits?!
I've been using this toothpaste for a few years now. Put simply, it's very effective at reducing canker sores.
Published on January 25, 2004 by R. MacKay

Published on September 21, 2010 by J. Leonard

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about the whitening benefits?!, January 25, 2004
This review is from: Rembrandt Gentle White Toothpaste, Mint, 3 Ounce (Packaging May Vary) (Health and Beauty)
My dad is a dentist and told me ages ago about the correlation between sodium lauryl sulfate, a common detergent in virtually every toothpaste (it's the stuff that makes it foam up), and canker sores. The trick was finding a toothpaste that was free of this suspect ingredient. When this Rembrandt version came on the market, I immediately gave it a try. I haven't looked back.
I used to experience outbreaks about every eight weeks. Now I get canker sores perhaps twice a year, and they last half the time they used to. Yes, the dentist-applied treatments such as Debacterol work well, if painfully. However, it's much more satisfying to avoid the problem in the first place.
Does it whiten your teeth too? Beats me. I haven't noticed. All I know is that I rarely get canker sores anymore. Whiter teeth are a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canker Sore Relief has finally arrived.. This stuff really works!!, February 10, 2007
For an unknown reason I have been getting canker sores on my tongue over the past 2 years. They would come and go. After suffering through painful episodes of not being able to eat, talk or move my mouth for 3 days worth of time it would go away only for another to appear in a different location. It became an endless cycle of suffering that was stressing me out and making my life a pure discomfort to say the least.

I tried every over the counter medication out there that you can get from every drug store in the area. Some did take the pain away but none of them truly eliminated the problem.

That was until I tried this toothpaste. This stuff works. It really works. It wasn't until I started to use this stuff regularly that the problem truly went away. I was skeptical at first, there were so many other products out there that said the same thing "Help eliminate canker sores" but this truly did what it said it would.

Just brush your teeth daily in the morning with the regular amount of toothpaste you normally use. Make sure you take your time to brush with this paste and in a very short time period you will notice that the outbreak of canker sores has come to an end.

I can't recomend this stuff enough. It really has been a life changer for me and delievers as promised. Once you start using it, you won't go back to any other alternatives. The mint flavor is mild and the toothpaste itself helps clean and whiten your teeth. So you are getting two services for the price of one with this product.

Finally canker sore victims can give a sigh of pure pain free relief. Thanks to Rembrandt, Extra Whitening and Canker Sore relief toothpaste. If you are looking for that relief to your canker sore outbreaks. This is the product to get. It works! It works! It works!

4.0 out of 5 stars SLS free so food/beverages taste fine after brushing!!, September 16, 2010
S.A. "bham" (Southeastern MI USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I had a problem of not wanting to brush in the morning if I hadn't finished my coffee yet because it ruined the experience so much. Eating or drinking after brushing is such an unpleasant experience for me that I couldn't bear to do it if I was planning on taking my travel mug of coffee with me. I figured it was the mint so I experimented with a few toothpastes, cinnamon for example, and it still made everything taste horrid for about a half hour after. I did a little research and found out that it is not even the flavoring of toothpaste that affects your tastebuds! It is sodium laurel sulphate or SLS, which is an ingredient that enhances the foaming action of your toothpaste and is found in most pastes. It has two purposes, one functional, and one more aesthetic. The functional is that it acts as a surfactant so that the toothpaste goes into all the nooks and crannies of your teeth. The more aesthetic is the foaming, so you get a nice big lather going in your mouth and feel like you have really done your work. At the same time the SLS has a side effect of "turning off" the sweetness tastebuds of your tongue and amping up the ones that taste bitter. That is why a glass of orange juice practically sends you through the roof after brushing. The side effect lasts 20-30 minutes.

Some people are sensitive to SLS and it causes canker sores for them, so a toothpaste formulated for canker sore sufferers is likely to be SLS-free. There are lots more SLS free pastes on Amazon, like Tom's of Maine. This just happened to be the first one I tried, and I was thrilled to be able to scrub my teeth clean and grab my to-go mug of coffee and actually enjoy every sip!

4.0 out of 5 stars This price is ridiculous!, July 4, 2013
Love this product but $22.00 per tube is highway robbery! I got it at Drugstore.com for $7.99/tube - it was in stock as of 7/3/13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rembrandt Premium, April 8, 2010
J. Singh (San Francisco CA) - See all my reviews
Well living in USA for 20 years I don't even know that this brand exists. During a recent trip to Boston when I found out that I don't have tooth paste, I went to a nearby store and noticed this brand and noticed it was expensive than other brands and above all I never saw or noticed this brand before. So I gave this a try and will use it until there are teeth in my mouth for the rest of my life. It does help to remove coffee color stains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say goodbye to tons of Cancer Sores, September 22, 2005
I have been using the Rembrandt Toothpaste for Canker Sore Sufferers for about six months now and have only gotten cancer sores twice in that amount of time. To me, that's very impressive. The only thing that I will mention is that it doesn't really whiten your teeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really works., January 26, 2005
My husband has always suffered from canker sores & although we have never found a cure, changing his toothpaste has made a tremendous difference! He had been using Sensodyne without the sodium laurel sulfate, but he would still have outbreaks. Since consistently using Rembrandt he has had maybe one canker sore in 8 months...vs. getting at least 10 at-a-time & a swollen tongue every couple of months. We will be lifetime users of this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did nothing to prevent or cure; more comfortable to brush with though, September 21, 2010
J. Leonard (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
Quite a tide of positive comments on this. Unfortunatley, I cannot join it so enthusiastically. I paid $8 for a tube of the Rembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste, which provides enough to last three weeks at most with twice a day brushing. I have suffered from canker sores throughout my life, and have never found any particular trigger or useful cure other than patience and pain-numbing Kanka medication. I not only suffered through the normal healing time of canker sores while using the Rembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste, but actually ended up getting more canker sores. While I doubt the toothpaste caused those additional sores, it certainly didn't prevent them. The one plus was that while having a canker sore, this toothpaste was nearly painless to brush with unlike many others. Rembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste seems to be nothing but a sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)-free toothpaste and nothing more--i.e., no miracle cure in the ingredients. Other companies also make SLS-free toothpastes, but should probably wise up to the marketing smarts of Rembrandt and stamp "Canker Sore" on their tubes.

Good luck to all you fellow canker sore sufferers. I feel your pain, including right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!! It works!!!, July 9, 2005
Freundin (USA and Germany) - See all my reviews
I cannot live without this toothpaste any more. I haven't had a single canker sore since 2002 when I found this product. SLS in toothpastes can cause canker sores in some people. This toothpaste doesn't contain SLS. However, Rembrandt toothpaste for Canker Sore Sufferers is hard to find in drug stores sometimes, so I always order it at amazon. If you are lucky and your drugstore sells this product you have to pay about $7.99 which I find very expensive for a toothpaste. I am wondering why almost all personal care & beauty product companies put this harsh chemical SLS in their products. It is just everywhere, even in shampoos and soaps. It cannot be healthy! I hope other companies will replace SLS with healthier ingredients in the near future. If you suffer from canker sores you might also try Burt's Bees lavender toothpaste. It's a little cheaper, very mild with a fresh taste and equally good!

5.0 out of 5 stars the reviews are true, July 20, 2005
I had been getting constant cancer sores, usually 1 or 2 at a time but I always had them. My girlfriend told me to look for a prescription which turned out to be a waste of time. I stumbled on this toothpaste and after read the reviews i forked out money for a couple tubes. I was skeptical at first because i got another a day or so after i started using it. But its been about 3 weeks and havent had any since. Ive even had cuts in my mouth (which usually turn into sores) and they just went away.

The toothpaste experience is rather dull and it feels like your not cleaning your teeth all that well. But it does make your breath better and ive noticed a slight whitening effect.

It definitely changed my quality of life and improved my relationship with my girlfriend (she will kiss me now). I only wish it wasnt so expensive for such a tiny tube.