Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Remember Me
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 18, 2010
It's hard to escape spoilers these days and while I tried, eventually one caught up with me. Knowing something about the ending and reading the mixed reviews I found myself interested in seeing if Robert Pattinson could act but wondering if this is the right vehicle and whether I wanted to see it. Then I came across an interview with the screenwriter. I pretty much knew the ending before I saw the movie and in a strange way it made the watching even more meaningful since the ending isn't as important as how the film gets there and what it says along the way.

I was plesantly surprised that even tho RP was in nearly every scene I didn't feel this was a vehicle for him but rather a character and relationship study. I expected him to be much more brooding and dark based on what I'd read. I'd like to see him stretch and tackle a variety of roles; I was plesantly surprised at his performance here. Somehow his leading man persona blended into the ensemble more than I expected and gave coherence to the movie. The relationship between Tyler (RP) and his younger sister was particulaly touching. I give RP a lot of credit being able to step into his character and let the assorted relationships surrounding him shine.

This movie will resonate with anyone who's lost someone unexpectely and how we each find ways to go on and live our lives. I found it a study of real people in "real" situations. The plot was somewhat predictable. How the unfolding was handled kept me interested. Being an exNYer, the city and surroundings resonated with me regardless of the ending and clued me into where the movie was going in several places.

Remembering back to my early 20s, it was a very hard time even without loss, for the first time being without structure and trying to find my path in life, not easy in the best of times. Watching so many different people finding ways to cope with senseless loss created a focus on the importance of living and loving every day.

I really appreciated the sensitive handling of the ending. The minimalist way of dealing with the horror had a lot of impact for me. Unexpected tragedy can be part of life. The clues are there all thru the movie. I mostly was haunted by the actual ending and how it tied to the beginning. How healing can come even from great saddness when life is lived with love.
66 comments|228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2010
I love this movie because instead of focusing on the the last hours of a person's life and allowing that end to define them, this story takes a flawed and real character and uses his journey to find himself to make us appreciate the untold story of everyone whose life ended before they'd gotten to a discernable finish line.

My husband asked me what the movie was about, and I told him that I couldn't tell him what it was about without making him miss the point. The movie is about the ending, without being about the ending because it forces us to get to know the character and take a journey with him. Tyler's life wasn't about the end of the movie, it was about all the moments that got him there. Seeing the movie without any preconceived notions, we are all in the same position that he is in, not understanding that tomorrow isn't promised. This movie is about potential, lost.

See the movie without seeing the reviews. It's worth it. You can't appreciate the journey if you're already focused on the destination. Carpe Diem.
1313 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2010
*Definite, major spoilers*

I hate tear-jerkers. I hate romances. I hate movies about people who have troubled pasts. I hate character deaths. I hate portrayals of drunken cops who take the law a little too far and people with anger management issues. So even though I like Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin, I figured I would come out hating this movie. Only I didn't, and to say I didn't is a major understatement. I will say that only three movies have made me tear up, and this is one of them. It's funny because no matter how hard I try to "type" it -- Is it "just" a tear-jerker? Is it "just" another typical romance, albeit with a twist ending?--- I can't. And you know, I really don't care anymore. I think any movie that can make you feel the way this movie made me feel stands on its own. Because okay, I have about 40+ DVDS in my personal collection. I can pop in any one of them and watch it and feel almost nothing. I enjoy what I'm watching, sure, but after it's over I can go back and wash the dishes or feed my dog or whatever, and never think about it again that day, or any day, really, until I'm ready to watch it again.
But Remember Me? People talk a lot about the ending, and yeah, I suppose that's what makes it so unforgettable. And I also suppose that's what turns some people off: they see it as exploitation. Personally I think that's ridiculous -- if you really wanted to argue the point further, you'd have to consider all war movies and portrayals of natural disasters exploitive. Maybe it hits a little hard only 9 years later, when so many families are still grieving and we get televised reminders every year. But to anyone who considers the ending out of place with the whole film -- "But they've just fallen in love!" you might say. "What's the point of showing this? And why THIS? Exploitation!" Well, I'm not a screenwriter, but I thought I could see "why this:" Nobody ever said this was a romantic comedy. There's no rule saying that every movie has to follow the formula romance. It doesn't work out that way statistically, anyway. People die. They die in national tragedies. 911 was sudden and I'm sure none of the people in those buildings expected to die when they woke up that morning.
The thing is, life isn't automatically tied up in a neat little package when we die. In many cases victims of tragedies are young. They have emotional problems. They've recently fallen in love. If you didn't see the ending coming, well, you're not really supposed to, are you? The only real clue is that it's set in 2001, and I barely pay attention to dates on the screen, anyway. It's sudden because 911 was sudden. The romantic plot doesn't lead up to the ending because that's how it is in reality for many couples separated by death. I can't see it as exploitation because it's so very real, it's so very possible, and it's so very meaningful. If Tyler had died any other way, would the film have had the same impact? No, I don't think so. Because when you focus on this particular tragedy, and one particular character who is involved in it, that character beecomes a symbol for other lives lost. You end up not only feeling tremendously for the character of Tyler, but in watching grief in the aftermath of his death played out on-screen, the entire weight of the tragedy hits you all over again.
I was in 4th grade when 911 happened. At the time I had no clue what it all meant or what I was supposed to feel. It is only in the past two or three years or so, in watching a documentary about the event (Possibly called Flight 93? I'm not sure of the exact name.) and watching video tributes to the 911 victims that any of it really hit home for me. This was real. This happened in our country less than ten years ago and it's still affecting us. And finally I watched Remember Me... Besides the realistic acting and the sympathetic and complex characters, and yes, the execution of the plot as a whole, I found the title nearly perfect as well: "Remember Me." Not "Remember 911." Because if you forget that every tragedy has a deeply personal aspect, you're missing something important. So in summary, I say it's not an exploitation, but a tribute. And it's a great movie to boot, so you really can't go wrong. I wouldn't watch it if you're feeling depressed, though: I literally cried for about a half-hour afterward and before I watched it I felt perfectly normal. But like I said: any movie that can grab you like that is definitely worth watching.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2010
I saw this movie over the weekend. I can tell you, it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I've already seen it a couple more times...the more I see it...the more I love it. It is more than a love story...and not easy to explain...except to say I found there wasn't one bad scene in the movie..it all kept you so engrossed in the story. You go thru the whole range of emotions during this film...and the ending will surprise you and stsy with you long after you leave the theater. Love passionately and live loudly every moment of your life.
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2010
What does this film do? -Something no other film has done in a very long time: it resonates. It sneaks into a lot of people hours later because it takes a long time to process, and then it is a tidal wave. So many people have been affected this way. They say things like: 'I can't stop thinking about it'; 'I want to see it again'; 'I want my sister [fill in the blank] to see it too'. People are blogging up a storm and the comments in spoiler threads are amazing. The film has tapped into a well of thought and feeling so deep its force is stunning. Viewers care, and that's something most movies can't elicit these days. People are telling stories of their lives, their loves, losses and pains, as a result of watching Remember Me. They aren't just discussing the ending. It is of a piece and the power of the film comes from its main theme of love, loss, grief, and healing and everyone can relate to that.

Who, then, is it for? I disagree with June M. This is NOT a chick flick. That's one of the misconceptions. A 16 yr. old boy commented that if was the best film he's ever seen. Grown men are as touched and affected by it as are women. People 14-94 are moved by it. That's a huge demographic which has been riveted.

What does Robert do? The movie and its ending work because the audience comes to love Tyler, the central character, as a lover, son, brother, friend. Robert Pattinson plays Tyler with subtlety and range--if James Dean must be referenced, he comes off as less than Pattinson. He is the linchpin, the glue, and without a great performance the centre would not hold. The ending is so huge precisely because by that time viewers are emotionally invested in Tyler, because Robert's nuanced performance rings true, every emotion reflected in his remarkable face. We know Robert's portrayal worked because it breaks our hearts as if it were our own son or lover, when we know what is coming.

Who gets it, who doesn't? As others here have stated, the film has been badly marketed and misrepresented. Many negative criticisms come from critics who want to saddle you with their own biases and resentments. Ignorant and arrogant reviewers have eyes but refuse to see, ears but refuse to hear. If I were kind I'd say they don't get it. But critics have maligned the lead actor and the screenwriter with no good reason. It's nauseating. They no longer know how to experience with open minds and open hearts. My advice: don't read any reviews until after you see the film. And see it at the theatres if it's still there! You'll kick yourself if you don't.

Unforgettable: The film's treatment of the event at the end is homage, tastefully and eloquently done. It speaks to the enormous power of this film that it could unleash such a deep and primal well of feelings in so many of us. It is the remarkable result of a remarkable movie.
Question?: What other film in the recent past has compelled viewers to make their voices heard, like I'm doing here, has had the effect I've described? What other film? Name it.
The outpouring of soul-baring stories from viewers is itself very moving. It shows what this little $16M production with the mega-heart has done. People are going inside themselves and finding meaningful places, because this movie had guided them there. People call up significant losses in their lives and place them in the glowing light of loving remembrance. For Remember Me to call that up and to remind us, to lead us to our deepest humanity, is a potent thing. Tyler is the touchstone which ignites similar feelings which come, in each individual, from their specific emotional place. What a gift! This film is a tour de force. From the acting, directing, screenplay, musical score, concept, it quietly takes your breath away.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2010
Brilliantly acted and grossly misunderstood, 'Remember Me' is neither a romance nor romantic drama,but rather a drama of life, love, and loss; a drama of families touched by grief and struggling with, sometimes strangled by, coping and hoping. 'Heartwarming and heartbreaking' as the main actor, Robert Pattinson, describes the film, there is love, anger, rejection, humour, and so many other conflicting and confusing emotions in the life and lives of a family, of an individual. Get to know the main characters through this intense slice of life, and feel the impact of loss to comprehend what was stolen, thousands of times over.
on March 14, 2010
I thought that the movie was a love story until the end of the movie when all the pieces came together. I was the only person in the theater who gasped when it showed the date. Then of course cried like no other. I agree that the end of the movie brought everything to a close. It was sad but a VERY moving story.

I love Robert and think that he went above and beyond he drew me into his character! I would love to see the movie again! I agree if you haven't seen the movie DON'T READ AND REVIEWS AND GO INTO THE MOVIE NOT KNOWING ANY MORE THEN ROBERT IS IN IT! It makes the movie so much better!! You will understand and agree!!!
on June 12, 2010
My girlfriend wanted to watch this, and i didn't think anything of it when i first heard about it, "oh great that twilight guy in another dumb looking chick flick"

wow i was wrong!

This movie isn't a chick flick, it's so deep and emotional it will stick with you for days after you see it, and just wondering am i the only one that felt the screenplay was a little similar to how donnie darko was written? i dont know just how it all came together and the actors...maybe its just me.

But you have to see this movie, when i sat down i was like great hereee we go, but once the first 2 minutes of the movie started i was like, okay this isn't going to be what i thought.

Great powerful movie, see it!

and btw dont go trying to figure out the ending before you watch it, it will ruin it for ya.
REMEMBER ME is a film whose story seems headed in one direction but then has the courage to fly the audience into an unexpected realm. Writer Will Fetters has created a story that will likely remained married to the memories of everyone who views this film - such is the impact and lessons of the last moments of the movie. Director Allen Coulter has gathered a fine cast of actors who are able to translate this lesson in facing death with a great deal of credibility and aplomb.

As the film opens in 1991 in New York's subway a mother and child await their train: the mother is played by Martha Plimpton, the daughter Alyssa by Caitlyn Rund. In a senseless situation the mother is murdered by ruffians, observed by Alyssa and promptly the father, police Sgt Craig (Chris Cooper), arrives on the scene to take his terrified daughter home. Jump forward 10 years and we meet disshelved Tyler Hawkins (Robert Pattinson) and his alcoholic roommate Aidan (Tate Ellington) who after a bar brawl are taken to jail by none other than Sgt Craig. Tyler's distant father is the wealthy Charles Hawkins (Pierce Brosnan) who bails them out of jail. Aidan suggests revenge at the beating they received from Sgt Craig in the form of having Tyler date and dump Craig's daughter Alyssa (now Emilie de Ravin). The two meet, spar, and fall in love in a genuine way: Tyler confesses to Alyssa his dark memory of seeing his brother hang himself and Alyssa shares being present when her mother was murdered. Tyler's only connection with his family now is his devotion to his eleven-year-old sister Caroline (Ruby Jerins) and his now divorced mother (Lena Olin). Through a series of unhappy incidents the story moves from coping with past memories of death and the consequences of the impact on each of the characters of the film. And just when it looks as though the film may have a happy an unexpected trauma occurs - one that changes the lies of every character.

The cast is excellent down to the smallest role. The lighting and music and cinematography are all first rate. This is a movie that will creep under your skin and stay there as a reminder of how love, death and redemption affects us all in such a variety of ways. Grady Harp, November 10
on July 4, 2010
"Remember Me", when you glance at the DVD cover, says three things. One, you see Edward's- I mean, Robert Pattinson's- face, and you immediately assume this movie is pinpointed towards him breaking out of his vampire mold. Second, the title makes it obvious that someone dies, which is just no fun. And third, it's a love story, and while that genre is perfectly fine, it gets old.

But after I decided to humor my family and watch it, I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

The plot-line is simple: two grown-up teenagers with broken families are trying to find their way through life, and after some unlikely events bring them together, they end up finding what they least expected: a love story. I think this movie would have been the forgettable film it looks like had it not been for a few things. Firstly, the acting. Robert Pattinson, painfully infamous for his Twilight role, really shows he's not that kind of actor at all: he's the type who can go from a million-dollar series to a much smaller movie, and do really well. His acting was believable and true, and that's why I liked his character to much, even related to him.

The second was the other colorful cast members: everyone put in their heart to the movie, and you can truly tell they enjoyed working on it. The plot-line is pretty dark, and would have been too heavy had it not been for the comedic presence of Tate Ellington as the amusing prick of a friend who's got a good heart after all. Emilie de Ravin was beautiful and pulled her part as a struggling daughter who lost her mother very well. I thought Pierce Brosnan stood out too as the father whose kids think he doesn't care about them, when in reality he deeply loves all of them.

The dialog was clever and fast, amusing at some points, touching at others. The plot moved along fast enough to keep us always interested, and it really almost forced us to care about the characters. New York was shot beautifully, and even the grittiest parts looked truly New York-ish.

And, finally, the ending. Like many other people who've seen this movie, they knew beforehand what fate was held for Tyler in the end, but it was very sad nonetheless, and though it wasn't sad enough to cry, it was certainly heart-wrenching. Believable, and an interesting twist, you truly know his last moments are in his father's office, whether you've read the summary beforehand or not. I believe it certainly touched many people who lost loved ones on 9/11, and this movie may bring up terrible memories, though it honors them in the believability that Tyler's story was just one that was tied into the thousands in the nightmare of September 2001.

A small, touching movie, "Remember Me" was far better than I expected, and worth a watch, even a buy if you'd like. I look forward to future Rob Pattinson movies now, and I believe our Edward had proved himself a truly noteworthy actor in his first big role since the Twilight phenomenon. Worth a place on the shelf of movies you'd love to watch over and over.