5.0 out of 5 stars A Few Good Ones To Tide Us Over...
Published on December 9, 2010 by OhSoCareful

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent extended play with some glaring flaws.
As far as female-fronted rock bands go, I've always felt Flyleaf is nestled firmly in the middle of the pack. For every song of theirs I really enjoy there also seems to be an equally forgettable one right alongside it. Even so, I still consider Flyleaf worth my time, which is why I originally picked up this extended play.

The best part about Remember To Live...
Published 10 months ago by Ben

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Few Good Ones To Tide Us Over..., December 9, 2010
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
I didn't realize until about a week ago that Flyleaf was even releasing a CD at all, but I'm very happy they did. "Remember To Live" seems to be more like songs that would go on a "Memento Mori Special [extended] Edition CD" or something. The only thing is, most of these songs were written along time ago & were put on here for fans. About a year ago, I remember going to the bands' website where there was a poll - it was before "Memento Mori" was even close to being released. The poll asked the fans what song they would like to see "re-done" on the new CD. The choices were many, but it included the hits on "Remember To Live" like "Believe In Dreams" & "Amy Says". Both of them were rated very high in the poll, and they both are on this new EP. So, for that reason, you can obviously tell that the members of Flyleaf do really care about what their fans want to hear & I absolutely respect that.

"Justice & Mercy" remix, written for the soldiers, is a great new version of the song. Very inspirational & Lacey's vocals are just magical, as always. "Okay" is also a great song. It's very blunt & right to the point & has a wonderful edgier sound. The male backup singers almost sound like a Gregorian Chant at times, and IMO, I think it's very neat & well done. "Amy Says" is a good song. This song was one that was written years ago & then made into a demo, but never reached an album or EP til now. It's not one of my favorites, but like mentioned before, the fans voted on this one & it's here, so that should say something. "Dear My Closest Friend" is absolutely beautiful. Lacey's vocals along with the sweet, quiet guitar opening almost creates a very haunting sound. Then, when you finally listen to the lyrics enough, and you establish what the lyrics really mean, you find that you have felt that way about yourself many times. The song title refers to her - she's her closest friend - I love this! "Light In Your Eyes" is another very pretty, soft song. Wonderful tune, great lyrics, great feel, and again - Lacey's voice is just enchanting. "Believe in Dreams" is another one of those old written demos but never made it to an official CD songs. It's good - but not one of my favorites of Flyleaf's in the whole grand scheme of songs. But, again, the fans voted for this one, and to my knowledge, this song has always seemed to be a fan favorite demo for some reason. "Arise - remix" closes the CD, and it's a good version. I do have to admit that my immediate first thought when seeing Ben Moody did it, I thought that it would just "rock my socks off" - - but my socks are only about half off at this point. It's good, but falls short of the power this song *should* have behind it. It lacks any REAL feeling. The new opening beat sounds more like a 1990's Chemical Brothers or The Prodigy song. Then, the chorus hits, and that's where my socks start to come off a little - it's heavier & sounds great with the original music behind the remix - but then it's back to JUST that 90's beat in the next verse, and it's definitely not a home-run remix. Still fun to listen to though, as the song does end well and finally leaves the old 90's vibe behind itself.

Overall, I recommend it to any/all Flyleaf fans. It's a wonderful addition to your collection & it's nice to just relax to. I'm very happy that they did this & I can't wait for more - which I'm sure will be awhile considering here in the next 2 months Lacey will not be able to tour due to having her son - how exciting is this next year going to be for them - especially with her having her first baby?!! So, eat this up now to help pass the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great EP, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
This EP will be the last music we get from Flyleaf for a while, since Lacey is having a baby in a couple months and plans on taking close to a year off. Thankfully, nothing on this EP disappointed. All the songs are somewhat on the softer/acoustic side, which deviates from a lot of the harder stuff that many people enjoy from the band. Each song is beautiful in its own way, and they deliver positive and powerful messages, which is nothing new if you're a fan of Flyleaf. Don't go into this album thinking you'll be listening to screaming and shredding guitars. The finally officially-recorded tracks Amy Says, Okay, Believe In Dreams, and Dear My Closest Friend are wonderful. The single new track, Light In Your Eyes, and reworked versions of previously recorded songs, Justice & Mercy and Arise, are also incredible. A great album for any fan of the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars A soft but still good album, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Remember To Live (MP3 Music)
Since hearing the raspy screams of "I'm So Sick", I've been in love with the sound of Flyleaf. This album was a disappointment I'll have to admit since it is mostly very, VERY, soft music. However I cannot see giving it anything less than a five(I'd say 4.5 if it would let me)since the music is all very good. Lacey's voice is as mournful sounding and beautiful as ever and the songs leave a lasting impression on me. The standout song, in my opinion, is "Amy Says", of course this is the only song with any distortion in it so I may be biased. The remix of "Arise" is good though I prefer the origional since it built up to the ending climax that marks the chorus in this version, I also miss the old chorus that they replaced. All in all a solid 'half' album... just next time give us something a little harder, ok?

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid- Except the Moody Mix, January 13, 2011
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
I love Flyleaf more than any other alternative or Christian band right now- including the wannabe look-alike Fireflight. Mainly, most of Flyleaf's material is orginial, well-thought out and the direction on their main-stream releases has a direction, a purpose, all pointing positively upwards- and it is something that can be played over and over without me getting overly tired over it. When I read that this is only a 7 song set due to Lacey's pregnancy, I was kind of adrift in my thoughts- wondering how it would turn out, but with Howard Benson behind it, these 7 songs turned out better than some full sets by other bands right now. I love all of them, except Arise (the Ben Moody mix). I know the fans of the band picked out this song, but this one totally destroys the mood at the end- with all songs starting off with an accoustic guitar and this song with a cheesy-sounding 1980s drum-machine sound. It sounds like as if it doesn't belong but was included anyways. I like the song (love the orginial) but I hate it at the end of this CD, in my personal opinion, because the Moody Mix totally destroys the mood, so to speak- which is why I give it only 4 stars. I will get my iTouch to skip over it when listening to this CD- but will play this song in my other playlists. Otherwise, another solid set again from Flyleaf and it makes me want more new music now- not 2012/13- but something to look forward too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally charged songs, December 22, 2010
This review is from: Remember To Live (MP3 Music)
I have highly enjoyed listening to this album many times since its recent release. You can just feel the emotion behind every single lyric. Justice and Mercy almost brings me to tears every time I hear it. Yes, it is true most of the songs are not as heavy instrumentally as their other stuff, but it is still a very powerful album. Truly an album for the hardcore Flyleaf fan because it does contain "underground" music not officially released elsewhere...until now that is. Even if you are not a hardcore fan this album definitely deserves a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini album between albums-Still as pasionate and inspirational as ever..., February 11, 2011
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
This small little album/ep between albums appears to be made up of older, as yet previously unrecorded tunes, new ones, and a remix. Not as heavy rock/metal, this is mostly more mellow, thoughtful emotional tunes, much like the end of the second amazing album out last year. Still highly uplifting, inspirational, amazing stuff with Lacey's as ever stunning voice. Great little gem of a mini album until the next full one.

4.0 out of 5 stars a little different, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
The album is a little different than others that I have, but i still love it. If you're a fan, I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars CD, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
different from their previous works.
recommended that you listen to or preview the songs first.
Full songs. Short CD. Like a few on there. Not the music I expected from this band though

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent extended play with some glaring flaws., February 14, 2014
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)

The best part about Remember To Live? It was recorded directly in response to fan requests. All those odds and ends that had never found their way onto a disc finally get the studio attention they deserve. Props to the band for catering to the fans; I cannot overstate how awesome it is that Remember to Live is a "by the fans, for the fans" release.

That said, it is not difficult to see why some of the material on Remember to Live had eluded the studio up until now. The obvious standout is "Okay," a live staple of Flyleaf's for years and an excellent track. "Justice and Mercy" also works pretty well in its acoustic form, but that's the extent of the awesome on Remember To Live. "Light in Your Eyes" and "Amy Says" are solid tracks in their own right but just don't quite do it for me. Similarly, "Dear My Closest Friend" strikes me as unrefined (likely because it was originally written when the band was just starting out). Worst of all, "Believe in Dreams" flat-out bored me, and the remix of "Arise" is nothing next to the original.

All said and done, Remember To Live has two great tracks, three average ones, and two that I could have done without ever hearing. The bottom line, though, is that I'm still happy Remember To Live exists, and I'm better (if only slightly) for having heard it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Screaming. Just Wonderful Music., October 13, 2013
This review is from: Remember To Live (Audio CD)
I imagine many of Flyleaf's fans were initially drawn to the band for Lacey's talent to scream. I have to say I love this CD because it displays her wonderful talent to sing with true passion and emotion. I'd almost go as far as saying this is bordering on worship music. I believe Lacey is full of the Living God's Spirit and it is discernible to me while listening to this particular CD. I would love to see Lacey move into the worship arena. She reminds me of Kim Walker when bringing forth her vocals. I enjoy the debut screamo Flyleaf and this as well if not more. Diversity shows the amount of talent this band had. Sorry to see Lacey go but, I hope the Lord will use her in the future for His glory. Well worth adding to your Flyleaf collection as are all their CD's in my opinion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›