Remember Two Things
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$6.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 2, 2000
Format: Audio CD
I can remember back to April of 1993 when my girlfriend (now wife) Erin and I went to see Toad the Wet Sprocket at The College of William of Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. I asked her who would be opening for Toad, and she said "Some guy named Dave Matthews. I think he is from Charlottesville." I was a bit disappointed, as I had never heard of Dave Matthews, but that evening in April converted me into a huge fan. DMB rocked that night and blew Toad off of the stage. This album came out later that year and my wife gave it to me for my birthday - I believe it to be an excellemt example of the DMB that played Trax, the Floodzone, frat parties, and small clubs in the mid-90s, before $45 tickets and grand stadiums. Take a listen to early versions of "Ants" and "Tripping Billies" which everyone knows, but also check out "Minarets", "The Song that Jane Likes", and "Christmas Song". This isn't like any of the later albums - but it is fantastic and holds its place well in the history of one of the premier bands of the 1990s.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2000
Format: Audio CD
This brilliant live album dates from the early '90s. It is a collection of songs recorded at TRAX and the Floodzone in Charlottesville, VA. Although it dates early in the quintet's career, it contains some of their best work. On no other release will you find Matthews' beautiful "I'll Back You Up" (Song #1 in their catalogue of songs). Another rare treat is "The Song That Jane Likes." "One Sweet World" can be heard by Dave and Tim Reynolds on Live at Luther College, but we are presented with the full band version here. The highlight to my ears is "Recently." To me, it is the signature song in this period of their creative lives. Satellite, Tripping Billies, and Ants Marching are also present. "Ants" is noteworthy for the snare drum intro of Carter Beauford. All in all, an enjoyable and brilliant disc,
on November 26, 1999
Format: Audio CD
When i got this cd i only got it so i could have all the cds. But when i listened to it, it quickly proved itself as a worthy cd. I love I'll Back You Up and The Song that Jane Likes, but they're all great. To all of you dmb fans who read this, and all of you people who have never listened to them...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ALBUM!
on January 27, 2005
Format: Audio CD
Remember Two Things is an essential album for any fans of the Dave Matthews Band. It gives a glimpse of the band in their prime, in my opinion, out side of the studio. The other early albums are a bit too overproduced for my tastes, but they are still worth buying. I first saw DMB in 1994 at the Roseland(?) in NYC about 25 feet from the stage. This album recreates that experience. Seeing them later in the large venues is more like listening to the later albums. Live at the Red Rocks is good too, but only because it has more songs.

On to the tracks:

1. Ants Marching - The best released version of this song that I've heard with the full band. The energy of the band really shines. I think the version with just Dave and Tim Reynolds on Live at Luther College tops it.

2. Tripping Billies - Best version of this song. It sounds clean, soothing, and joyful at the same time.

3. Recently - I prefer the version on the Recently EP. I love this song, but 8 minutes is just too long.

4. Satellite - A good rendition of this song. The other versions are overproduced (too many instruments, too many sound effects).

5. One Sweet World - Excellent version of this song. The rest of the band is at their best and the sound is very full.

6. The Song That Jane Likes - My favorite song on the album. They just don't write songs this fun and groovy anymore. Not on any (I think) of the studio albums.

7. Minarets - A studio version. I have never really enjoyed this song. It's not bad, but the tone doesn't fit the rest of the album.

8. Seek Up - A great version of this song. It's almost two songs in one. When the chorus kicks in, its very uplifting.

9. I'll Back You Up - I still don't believe this is a live version, because it sounds so crisp and intimate. Vocally, one of Dave's best songs.

10. The Christmas Song - My 2nd favorite song. Despite anyone's beliefs, this summarizes the message of Jesus in a simple and beautiful way.
on August 8, 2002
Format: Audio CD
This first effort by the Dave Matthews Band is a great album.
Ant's Marching- A terrific live performance of this hit song that would later appear on DMB'S first studio album Under The Table And Dreaming[Masterpiece].
Tripping Billies- A terrific live performance of this hit song that would later appear on DMB'S second studio album Crash[Masterpiece].
Recently- A terrific live performance of a very happy and fun song that has only appeared on other live albums. I think that it could have easily been a hit on one of their earlier studio efforts like Under The Table And Dreaming or Crash. Of course it is a hit on this album but since most people probably pass this DMB effort up the song is left in relative obscurity.
Satellite- A terrific live performance of this hit song that would later appear on DMB'S first studio album Under The Table And Dreaming.
One Sweet World- A great song[live performance] that has also only appeared on other live DMB releases. This song also may have been a hit on Under The Table And Dreaming or Crash...but then it's the same story as with Recently.
The Song That Jane Likes- Great Song[live performance]...that if you read about the DMB...you will find out may have some very personal meaning. Of course all of Dave Matthews songs have a lot of personal meaning.
Minarets- Great Song! And one of the two studio recordings on this album. I think this song would have gone will on Busted Stuff[Masterpiece]...unfortunately though I believe that you can only find this song on this album.
Seek Up- A monumental recording[studio recording]...that might have gone will on Before These Crowded Streets[Masterpiece]...however this song follows the same story as Minarets.
I'll Back You Up- This is such a beautiful song[live recording]...and could easily have been a hit on any of DMB'S studio albums...except for EVERYDAY[Masterpiece]...and only because EVERYDAY was mostly electric music...but that doesn't mean that DMB can't put this on a future studio release...hint...hint.
Christmas Song- A monumental recording[live recording]...should be on a studio release at some point.
Hope You Buy This Album. And if you are A Dave Matthews Band fan reading this What's Up! Love Is All We Need EVERYDAY!!!
on November 18, 1999
Format: Audio CD
The genius in Dave's music is overwhelmingly seen in this album, "Remember Two Things". although it was not the first Dave album of my collection, I found it to be my favorite thus far. "Crash" turned me on to their style of music --- A LOT! I subsequently bought "Remember Two Things" and loved it. The flow of sound and music and lyrics in Recently, Minarets, Ants Marching, and Warehouse to name a slight few are unbelievable. It is so hard for me to express in words what their music has done for me personally. If I dare say it, they are musical gods in my life. A definite buy for any fan, large or small, of DMB.
Format: Audio CD
I first got this CD in 1993 when a friend showed me the cool cover. Since then, it is the most listened CD I own, and a must for all DMB fans. For those who prefer live DMB to the radio edits, and who enjoy the sound of "Under the Table" more than "Everyday," you have to listen to this.
The great thing about R2T is that it doesn't sound overproduced and made for the masses. For a self-produced CD, the songs are very clean and high quality. I had this for abo 2 years before I realized it was actually a live CD.
This has the best version of Ants Marching I've heard, including the 60 second drum solo up to the first cord. You can almost feel the excitement of the crowd as it approaches closer and closer and it's a great way to start the CD. "The Song that Jane Likes" and "Christmas Song" are also on this CD, and a must for any early DMB fans.
If you want to hear what DMB sounded like in the prime of their careers, without the songs muddled down with electric guitars, backup singers, and tons of instruments, R2T is the way to go.
on July 7, 2000
Format: Audio CD
Although this CD has its moments, it is definitely the weakest effort released by the band, as well as its first (which is good, they left room for improvement). The albums best cuts are its more obscure ones. The haunting, middle-eastern tinged "Minarets" sounds like a pre-cursor to one of their more current songs "The Last Stop", but Dave's whisper to screaming vocals backed by Carter's pulsing drums and the eerie strings/horns creates a disturbing and intense musical experience. Another great track is Seek Up, with beautiful subtle guitar by guest Tim Reynolds and more creepy jazz lines from saxophonist Leroi Moore. Also, I'll Back You Up, performed as an acoustic duet by dave and Tim, is one of the Dave's most tender songs, perfect for any romantic setting. The Song That Jane Likes is another charmer, and though the lyrics make little sense the funky beat will surely make your body move. However, both Christmas Song and One Sweet World are rather standard tunes musically, and while the lyrics are rather strong for Dave, more risks would have been expected from a band that would grow to become the weirdest mainstream band selling millions of records. The album takes a turn for the worst with its early renditions of some of the band's most popular tunes. Ants Marching, usually an in-your-face funk fest, drags like a snail with a hangover and features solos that lack any energy or creativity. The 2 minute steady drum beat at the beginning does not help the situation. Satellite is fine, technically, but lacks the subtlety of the studio recording, as well as the awkwardly beautiful mixing of the later version. Tripping Billies is somewhat better, but still feels uninspired next to later recorded and live versions of the same tune. To some it up, if you love the band you will love the album for its historical context anyway... and if you don't love the band, buy "Crash" and start loving the band.
on September 18, 1999
Format: Audio CD
I've been listening to Dave Matthews Band for about 5 years, and although I love all of their cds this is the one I find myself listening to the most. From beginning to end you can just listen to it. I just put it on repeat. If you want to get the best of DMB get this and Under the Table and Dreaming.
on June 28, 2000
Format: Audio CD
Remember Two Things is kinda funky to listen to if you are used to the fast licks of the later albums but after 10 or 15 minutes when the snare drum intro to Ants Marching is over, you get the old school Dave flavor that leaves you feeling satisfied that you are listening to some pretty smooth tunes. Tripping Billies is a little slower than usual, but when listening to this first major album, you can see where the DMB came from and very easily understand why. This collection of live and studio recordings was obviously very carefully selected, and it pays off in a well rounded Disc including a lot of then new hits that to most Matthews fans are old favorites. Its definitely worth getting, and I didn't know whether it was a four or a five because no matter how cool it is to hear the old school Dave one does give a rating based on the actual quality of the music. Once again though, I gave Mr. Matthews (he should have a PhD in coolness by now) the benefit of the doubt, he's earned it. Remember Two Things is a release to remember.