Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on April 13, 2016
Easy to use
on November 24, 2015
Great book. The technique that it teaches with is great for beginners. For a couple of the characters I used different stories because I couldn't draw the same mental image that the author was depicting (a little too random), but most were good. I realized that even though I haven't practiced in over 6 months I still remember most of the characters using the memory tools! I just wish the Kanji were so easy..
on May 15, 2015
I've been practicing Japanese for several years and was looking for a book to help teach my friend his kana and after only looking at the sample pages I can tell this is not worth the money. The problem is a lot of the English words that are used as examples for the correct sounds are incorrect. Learning your kana is also about learning the root sounds of the language and the book you use to learn should get it right. For example, the Japanese 'U' is like the 'oo' in 'food' but the book says it's like the 'U' in 'ulm'. Two different vowel sounds.
on February 24, 2015
I used this book to learn the Hiragana and Katagana. I had to come up with my own associations, though, because Heisig's didn't really work for me. I took my time, but still learned both syllabaries in four days each. I have a good grasp of them now, and it will become stronger with use. I would recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn the, it's really very easy. Can't wait to get started on the Kanji!
on February 20, 2015
Funny, cute, mind stimulating. That is what I can say about this book. The approach to learning kana is very effective.
on January 28, 2015
Honestly, I bought this book for a refresher... I don't like the methods used to teach you the kana in this guide.. it has you jumping from page to page. It turned me off.. if they want you to learn it a certain way he should've implemented it that way instead of having you jump all over the place a losing your space. I love the Kanji books though they're written better and you'll get a better understanding.
on December 23, 2014
Echoing the comments of a few other reviewers, the Kindle version of this book is non-functional (on the Kindle Voyage, anyway). The kana display properly if "publisher font" is selected; however, as reported by others for the iPad, some of the links are broken--which makes it impossible to follow the lessons properly. Furthermore, the list of sample words provided for each kana are frequently simply incorrect. I'm deleting it from my Kindle and buying a paperback edition.
on December 15, 2014
Good book. Works as described.
on November 12, 2014
The non-linear 'adventure' type layout was unexpected but I like it. Kinda reminds me of those old 'choose your path' type books I read when I was little. The little stories and memory tips are useful- some more so than others but for the most part, they do a good job of sticking an image in your mind. One problem I personally have with both learning Chinese and Japanese was associating a sound with the character and the meaning. With English and many other Romance languages such as Spanish, you can just look at the word and get the pronunciation. Since this doesn't work without Romanized characters, the memory stories really help create that connection. I also liked some of the little features like how they included different fonts/typesets for the Kana at the bottom of the page- really helpful if you want to take your knowledge and apply it to street signs, advertisements, product packaging, websites, manga, etc.

As a supplement, I'd recommend getting the free flashcard app 'Anki' for your computer or phone. People have already made flashcard decks for this book (and plenty of other Japanese flash card sets as well) for you to download. At least for me, I really need a lot of review and constant memory jogging in order to keep all my Kana fresh so I'd highly recommend that (which is in no way affiliated with the book or me).
on November 3, 2014
This book is fantastic, but DO NOT buy the electronic version!! The book has lessons that take you around the kana alphabets out of order, but these buttons sometimes take you to the wrong letters. Sometimes the buttons don't work at all, and you need to manually search for a page. I "finished" the katakana without learning "chi" because the lesson skipped over it. So many incidents like this happened, it was a real headache figuring it all out. Buy the physical book instead and rebuke whoever converted it into e-format please!