1,304 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected performance - good value and convenient design
After some surfing on Amazon and reading some reviews, I bought this Remington fabric shaver. In summary, the Remington fabric shaver is inexpensive, does the job (but proceed with caution), and has a fairly sturdy build.

Here are my experiences:

Published on January 29, 2011 by Danny Yu

3.0 out of 5 stars Detroys lightweight materials.
Published on September 14, 2011 by A. Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars Detroys lightweight materials., September 14, 2011
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
This shaver works great on regular to heavyweight material, but is way TOO POWERFUL on lightweight stuff. It sucked my summer knit tunic in and created a hole before I could react. Thinking this was a fluke (or I was an idiot) and being more cautious, I wrapped my next lightweight shirt snugly around my ironing board and carefully started near the hem. Within seconds it too was sucked in and another hole was left behind.

I've used these types of shavers for years, so I'm not a newbie to how they work. This one is just a lot more powerful, and the face holes are a bunch bigger, when I compared it with my older shavers.

Since the face unscrews to allow for better clean-out, it would be great if Remington offered a smaller-holed replaceable face for lightweight material.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected performance - good value and convenient design, January 29, 2011

Here are my experiences:

- I really like how heavy it feels in my hand. It's good to have a device that's nice in the hand and wouldn't slip out suddenly.

- It looks great. The blue is a nice touch and the transparent fabric shavings holder helps to give me a good idea of when to toss out the trash.

- The transparent shavings holder has a section that collects all the shavings. Most of the time, the shavings do not fall out when opening to toss out. It's a wonderful little detail that can help prevent many times when you'd have to bend down to clean up the mess.

- The bigger holes in the steel shaving cover allows the lint, etc to collect better.

- In terms of performance, my sweaters, socks, and lint on my clothes have virtually vanished.

There are more expensive, bigger and stronger fabric shavers, but this Remington fabric shaver is inexpensive and does the job. If well taken care of, this fabric shaver will last a while. If not and even over time, the fabric shaver will eventually be of no use. Still, given the price and performance, it's a must buy for anyone that has lint and fabric problems. Buy with confidence!

P.S. Be careful how much pressure you apply to your clothing/fabric. Make sure the intended area is flat, so that no drapes get stuck in the blade. With any fabric shaver, there is a potential for holes and damage, especially if not handled carefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super effective, super cheap, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
Best $4.99 I've spent in a long time. This thing makes my favorite old sweaters new again. I wish the reservoir held more than it does, but it is what it is, and it works wonderfully!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, January 6, 2013
Bunny (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
I did a lot of research before settling on this fabric shaver. Many of them have poor reviews, stating the units broke quickly or they ate holes through people's sweaters.

I've had this unit for a couple months now and have used it on a variety of fabrics, including fleece, sweaters, and even my sofa. After using the shaver on several items without incident, I decided to grab an old sock and see if I could make this unit eat a hole through the material (as some reviews state). I pressed fairly hard on the sock but aside from trimming off all of the little "nubbies," the unit did not penetrate the material any further.

I'm still on my original set of batteries and have done probably 20 or so sweaters, along with various other items. This unit does exactly what it should and I'm pleased with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Random Childhood Memory, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
It's been a while since I've had access to one of these guys. My stepmother had one when I was a kid, and I always thought it was a lot of fun to shave my clothes... or the sheets... or even pillows. And, all I remember thinking was that I wanted one when I grew up.

Well, now I'm all "grown up".. and I finally have my own fabric shaver. This little guy is fantastic. It's actually better than the one I used as a kid. It shaves a lot faster, and closer, than the old one did. But, the main thing I love about it is that it's so easy to clean. Just pop off the back, and empty it. (It's like one of those bagless vacuums.) Another thing that makes this shaver easy to clean is that the cap screws off. So, if you notice that there's a ball of fuzz stuck by the little blades, you can pop off the cap and pull it out. (Just, be careful of the blades. They're sharp little buggers.)

All in all, I highly recommend this product to anyone looking to get rid of those annoying little pills that like to appear on sweaters, jeans, sheets... or anything else you might need it for. Happy fabric shaving!

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be called the Fabric Destroyer, October 5, 2011
Lisa G. "lisag67" (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
The first time I used this product, it destroyed one of my shirts. Seven holes in two minutes. I had to throw the shirt away. Maybe it works fine on sweaters, but I'm not going to risk it. There is nothing on the packaging that warns you against using this shaver on thinner pilled fabrics like rayon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
Great product! Lightweight and works really fast- I did several pairs of gloves within a minutes and they look brand new. Easy to clean. I couldn't be happier with this little shaver.
The only thing is that it doesn't come with batteries, and needs 2 aa batteries not 1 aaa.

1.0 out of 5 stars Much too fragile, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
The manufacturer cut too many corners making this cheap shaver. There is a metal screen covering the blades. In the old days, the screen was made from a fairly sturdy piece of metal. Now, the screen is slightly thicker than a piece of aluminum foil like Alcoa Wrap. The result is that the foil broke after one use. For what does it profit a man to gain a whole quarter and lose his own shaver?

5.0 out of 5 stars this little device is amazing with some common sense, September 22, 2013
sandyan (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
I was hesitant to buy this because most people loved it and some people hated it because it ruined clothing. I didn't want to take that chance but I'm glad I did!!! I've used this on two cotton tees, two North Face hoodies and my North Face Denali jacket so far. It does not make the article of clothing look new....used clothing is used clothing BUT it does get rid of the pesky lint balls and changes the appearance dramatically.

We have all been there and pulled at something we shouldn't have (usually light knits, woven linens) it just made it worse...DO NOT use this device for those types of clothing. If you're worried about clothing being ruined if you pull the knots/balls by hand, don't use an electric device to do it for you.

This device works just like men's shaver: there are cycling blades inside that shave the material sticking up. If the blades stop rotating, screw off the cover and use a pair of tweezers to clean out the inside. The blades act as a fan and fans the lint balls into the collection chamber but if there is too much in the collection chamber or a long thread is tangled in the blades, they will stop rotating. It doesn't mean it's broken, just clean it out.

With the few articles of clothing I've used this on, it's already paid for itself. I'm just disappointed that I didn't buy this sooner! Don't let the negative reviews get you down....try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver (Misc.)
I had one of these (another brand) sweater fuzz ball shavers years ago and loved it. I have new sweaters, which I've only worn a couple of times, that have developed fuzz balls and I wouldn't wear them because of it. So, after purchasing two (one for a back up), they work as well as I remember my old one working. However, in these,the "motor" doesn't seen to be as strong as my old one, but it still works well and I can wear my fuzz-ball-free sweaters again! They are a tricky little device that works well. Thanks, Amazon...I was surprised when I searched your site and found them as I've been hunting for a couple of years for a new one!

Remington Battery Operated Fabric Shaver