4.0 out of 5 stars A quick, close shave
Published on December 22, 2009 by D. S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Remington F 5790 Foil Shaver
Published on January 4, 2010 by W. Carter

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick, close shave, December 22, 2009
This review is from: Remington F5790 Pivot & Flex Men's Rechargeable Cord/Cordless Foil Shaver with LED Power Guage (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had a lot of experience with electric shavers (20+ years) using several different brands and models. Before using this Remington, I was using a Panasonic ES8109 (about $180) for about a year. Before that, I had a Braun Syncro 7540 (about $150) for several years. Before that, I used several Remington dual foils. I was always happy with my Remingtons way back then, but I was lured away by the convenience of a self-cleaning shaver. Though this one isn't self-cleaning, Remington just might have won me back.

Pros:

*A close shave! I haven't had this close of a shave in years. It really is as close as a blade.

*It's fast. I didn't think three foils would be that much faster than two, but I find myself choosing the Remington over my Panasonic morning after morning for the speed advantage alone. It really does take far fewer passes to get everything.

*Holds a long charge. Since this Remington offers a quick shave, getting 10+ days out of one charge isn't a problem.

*Can be used with the cord. This is a significant draw for me, because I tend to forget to plug my shaver in, and when I need it, I need it NOW, not after waiting for it to charge. Some shavers (such as my Panasonic) can only be used in battery mode. This is probably a safety feature so some dunce doesn't try to use it plugged in while taking a shower. The drawback to that is that if you forget to charge it, you'll have to wait. And once the batteries stop holding a charge (inevitable with all shavers), you've got nothing but a paperweight. I kept using my Braun with the cord for years after the battery conked out (buying a new shaver only when I temporarily misplaced the Braun during a trip). It's nice to know I'll have that option with this Remington.

*The head assembly pivots very effectively and smoothly.

*The trimmer, when popped up, is positioned conveniently (for my taste, anyway), adjacent to the foils. It feels very natural to use, and it works extremely well. I like my Panasonic, but I've never gotten used to the odd, almost perpendicular, placement of the trimmer.

*Can be used wet or dry, and the head can be cleaned with liquid soap and water.

Cons:

*It's big, awkwardly shaped, and a little uncomfortable in the hand. Poor ergonomics.

*It doesn't come with a travel bag.

*It gives such a close shave, it leaves my skin feeling a little irritated. I remember now that I had a problem with my old Remingtons doing this (and I never "adjusted" to that). It's not a big deal (the price of a really close shave), but it's worth mentioning.

*The foil-protector cap is a little difficult to get on and off.

Overall, this is a fine, though imperfect, shaver. If I could give it four and a half stars, I would. I have three electric shavers available for my use now, and this is by far the cheapest. Yet it's the one I'll be reaching for tomorrow morning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Remington F 5790 Foil Shaver, January 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My experience with this shaver has been, for lack of a better word, inconsistent. As a result, I have waited about 5 weeks to post a review. When I first got the Remington F5790, I was quite impressed with its performance--even though its size and weight were somewhat more than I was used to. It quickly gave me a very close and clean shave. As I continued to use, it started to occasionally burn my skin so I decided I'd just try to be more careful. However, it was not long before the shaver started leaving nicks... It has now been my decision to go back to my previous shaver, Braun. Admittedly, shaving takes longer in the morning but at least I'm not running out the door with torn Kleenex corners stuck to my face.... I've seen numerous reviewers state that the shave is just not close enough for them. The only thing I can figure is that their beards must be quite a bit heavier than mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fairly decent electric shaver if you have the skin for it, December 28, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is about the fifth electric shaver I've used in the past couple of years. Usually I prefer a regular razor, but I've gotten so lazy about shaving lately that I like to see some quicker options. Most of my previous shavers have been Norelco's, which use a completely different razor pattern. I'm not used to Remington Razors, but found that the blades on the F5790 gave me a much smoother shave than my Norelcos have been giving me. It almost felt as smooth as with a straight razor. The main reason I won't switch to the Remington though, is because it gave me an uncomfortable bit of razor burn a couple days later. Now I know that there is a period where your skin and face have to adjust when you start using an electric razor, but even after a solid 4 weeks of using it every day, my face was still getting burned.

As far as the razor construction goes, I liked it a lot. The weight of the unit was just right and felt good in my hands. I did have a problem with the head of the razor, which has two plastic pieces that extend above the height of the blades on either side. It wasn't a big problem, but I could feel them as I shaved and was somewhat bothered by them. There really shouldn't be anything extending past the blades on an electric razor in my opinion. Battery life was very good. I let the razor run unattended and it lasted 2 hours, 17 minutes (just turned on, not being used). I also really liked cleanup with this razor. I think it's the first razor I've had where you could clean it wet or dry, which is a big plus to me.

Overall, I normally would give it three stars, but I don't want to penalize it too much just because my skin couldn't get used to the blades. Everything else about it is great.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good value for the price..., December 8, 2009
L. F. Smith (E. Wenatchee, WA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Discussions about shaving tend to become heated, like arguments about politics or religion. I think this is because faces are so individualistic that there's no possible way to objectively measure "closeness," "comfort," or any of the other important considerations. There's only an individual impression. So, here's mine:

I think this Remington is a pretty good value for the price. I personally got reasonably close shaves with minimal effort and almost no irritation. As is the case with all electric razors, preparation is critical. Your face has to be dry because moisture will swell the beard hairs so they won't fit into the holes in the shaving head.

The downside for me was the quality of the razor as a machine. The ergonomic design was excellent; it's very easy to hold the razor in a comfortable position. However, it seemed to clatter and buzz much more than my Braun does. It almost had a weed-whacker quality to it.

In addition, there is no carrying case of any kind. If you're going to pack it for travel, all you have to protect the shaving head is a little clip-on plastic cap-- which will pop off with just a touch.

From a price-versus-value point of view, I think this is a pretty good razor. From an absolute quality point of view, it's not. I don't intend to switch from my Braun to this Remington, because my Braun seems to be a much better razor. Of course, it cost nearly three times as much is the Remington does. In some cases, you really do get what you pay for, and for me, this is one of those cases.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not a good shaver, January 7, 2011
Byron Butters "Grampa" (Loon Country - Minnesota) - See all my reviews
It seems like a good shaver. Nice features. But it just does not shave very close and if you don't shave on weekends, you will not be able to cut the long hairs. I wasted $50 on this Remington. I now have a Braun 340 from Amazon and it shaves much closer and has a cutting head that takes care of the longer hairs. BUY THE BRAUN AND FORGET ABOUT THIS REMINGTON.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay For The Price., December 1, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're looking for that ever elusive electric razor that shaves just as close as blades, you can just stop your search. It doesn't exist. No matter how thin the foil screen is, it still has a thickness -- and that thickness determines how far away the cutting blades come to your face. Blades touching the skin will always be closer than blades sitting one layer away from the skin. So it's really unfair to try to rate this shaver as it compares to blades.

This seems like a perfectly decent shaver within its price point. The most noticeable feature to me was the fact that the razor could be used while it is plugged in.

I also have the excellent (and significantly more expensive) Panasonic ES8243A Arc IV Nano Men's Wet/Dry Rechargeable Shaver, and in most cases the Panasonic wins hands down. Of course, this is to be expected because of the price. The Remington is larger, less comfortable to hold, not as attractive, and doesn't have the wet shave capability of the Panasonic. The Remington's motor is much louder, and the shave isn't as close. It also takes many more passes to get a complete shave.

The attached trimmer is quite strange. It advertises a "3-position" trimmer, which includes off, a position in the middle, and a position that extends to be about flush with the razor head. I'm not sure what anyone would ever use that middle position for, and even fully extended it sits so close to the razor head that it feels awkward. Although I admit that I probably only feel that way after becoming accustomed to the Panasonic trimmer, which swings out and away from the body of the shaver.

In the end, this razor will probably end up as an emergency razor, either in my car or maybe in my desk at work. But it won't be replacing the Panasonic any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SHAVER FOR THE $$$, December 13, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must admit that I am not a fan of electric shavers. After trying many different brands and models of shavers they do not give me a close shave compared to the shaving cream and razor blades. With that said I will give my input on the Remington FS790.

For the money it is a good shaver. I would say this is a mid priced shaver and it works like such. I never had a Remington to last over a year or two and even my $175 Braun only lasted a little longer. It shaves as close as my Braun. The three foil shaving saves time because you do not have to make as many passes. I do not know how long the blades will last. I like the fact that you can rinse them it off with water. It holds a charge for about an hour. I keep mine at my office to take care of the afternoon shadow. If you are looking for decent shaver then this one is it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, February 23, 2012
I recently picked one of these up at WalMart as I left my shaver at home on a trip. The price was much better than the $89 shavers there so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm used to the shavers with the 3 circular blades, so going to one like this was something new.

It is big, it is heavy, and it is loud. It vibrates a lot - it will give you a workout while you shave. Shaving in a hotel room while your family sleeps is not even an option, you will wake them up.

I found on my face, it works great - shaves very close, and as other reviews state, it is very quick. I find that due to the size it can be difficult to get into the nooks and crannies easily though (around your nose, up close to your sideburns, etc.).

The problem lies in shaving my neck - I figured with the movable foils, it would conform to my neck and do well - but it hardly cuts the hair at all on my neck. I can go over it again and again and it simply won't cut some hair. I've tried all positions, all rotations, varying amounts of pressure, etc. and nothing. Trying to cut hair on the back of my neck is a different story - it won't even touch it.

I found it interesting that the reviews here are so varied - some love it, other hate it. Some say it shaves close, others say it doesn't shave close at all. So be careful buying this - the inconsistency points to some sort of design issue in my opinion - apparently it doesn't work with all shapes and sizes of faces or something :)

The popup trimmer is terrible. It is on the back and slides straight up, so you can't really use it. It is too close to the main body when it pops up - I can't trim my sideburns at all with it.

It does charge quickly and the LED charge gauge on the front is really nice.

Based on my experience with this, I would suggest looking for a different shaver.

1.0 out of 5 stars Foil Head Failure, November 6, 2010
Bought one of these shaver 3 months ago and the foil head ALREADY has a hole in in. The replacement foil heads are $26.99 on Remington web site [...]

I would not recommend this product unless you want to have a lot of money invested in shaving your face.

As far as the shave it gives; it does fairly good. I just simply can't afford to keep buying replacement foil and head every 3 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth, December 27, 2009
Philip J. Bohlken (Vancouver, Washington) - See all my reviews
My wife bought this as a gift. She chose Remington because her father had worked for Remington-Rand Corporation in a division unrelated to shavers. It is smoother than an almost new Remington rotary blade shaver she gave me last Christmas. It is also smoother cutting than a 1990 vintage Braun I have, even with a new screen and cutters on the Braun. One surprising thing about the Remington is that the cutters and screen do not seem to fill up with whisker shavings like other shavers I have used. I would never have bought another shaver, but my wife insists I am too rough and scratchy.