5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since shavers were invented!
Published on September 28, 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Not recommended for children's haircuts!
Delivery was not a problem and was at my house within a week of ordering.

I purchased this unit specifically for cutting my son's hair (3 years old). I've been doing it with a conventional buzzer since his first haircut and I figured this would eliminate the itchy-ness that bothers him. Unfortunately, this razor creates nothing but problems.

The...
Published on December 7, 2005 by David C. Au

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since shavers were invented!, September 28, 2005
This review is from: Remington HKVAC-2000 Precision Vacuum Haircut Kit (Health and Beauty)
My wife has been cutting my hair with a shaver for the past 8 years - what little of it I have left :) We always do the haircut in the bathroom because it was the easiest place to clean up the mess afterwards. There was always hair all over the floor, my clothes, etc. After the haircut we would have to vacuum the floor and use wet paper towels to get up all the little pieces.

With this shaver, there was practically NOTHING on the floor when we were done. There were only tiny specs of hair on my shirt, which was easy enough to throw in the wash.

To make it even better, my 4 year old always hated getting his hair cut because he said it was too itchy and bothered him. We showed him this shaver and how it doesn't make him itchy, and now he can't wait to get his haircut. He thinks it is the neatest thing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Not recommended for children's haircuts!, December 7, 2005
Delivery was not a problem and was at my house within a week of ordering.

The razor works as advertised but it fails miserably with thin, fine hair like that of my son's. The hair trap mechanism uses a fine mesh screen to catch the hair similiar to a juicing machine. With very fine hair, it fails to capture a small portion of it since it easily passes through the screen mesh. Worse, the escaping hair is blown out the exhaust port of the razor and flies everywhere. After about 2 minutes of haircutting, about 20% of his hair was scattered all over the tile floor in a three foot radius of where he was sitting.

Another problem is that the suction doesn't seem to be very powerful. It relies heavily on gravity for the hair to fall towards the opening of the hair trap and then the suction takes over. In the normal cutting method of 'bottom to top' motion, it does a good job. If you use the razor sideways or upside down (ie: buzz the top of the head), there seems to be alot of loose hair that gets away.

One positive is that the blades are titanium coated and require no oil for the life of the unit. Another is that the unit has good vibration dampening so less "buzzing" action in your hand. Believe it or not, I think that this extra dampening is detrimental in cutting hair because you can't feel or hear the hair being cut with the unit. When creating a 'fade' from shorter to longer hair, it's difficult to get consistent results as compared to a conventional razor. Unit is slightly bulky in size due to the addition of the vacuum and hair trap.

Overall, I think this might be helpful for some people with thicker hair. I can easily see this razor being jammed with hair longer than 1-2" in length and with a relatively small hair trap, you will have to empty it often. Unless loose hair bothers you during the haircut, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Stick with a good conventional buzzer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but not a long shelf life, July 8, 2007
I first bought this product in a department store in 2006. My husband loved it because there is little to no mess afterwards. We use the vacuum trimmer on my husband and my son about twice a month. After only one year, the product died. I am not sure what the problem was, and despite its short shelf life, I bought it again because it is lightweight and has little to no clean up after trimming. I recommend this product. For the price, it would not matter if I had to buy one every year, it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product!, October 15, 2005
I never have left a comment on Amazon before. But this haircut kit is what I been waiting for. The few hairs that escape are no biggie. I can give myself a quick trim AFTER the shower. Normally I would wash my hair-then cut-then wash/rinse my hair a second time to get all of the little hairs still imbedding in my hair out so I can style it. If you have really long hair and plan to cut hair off over 2". It might not fit in the vacuums nozzle. Besides the cool vac feature, it does a clean job of cutting as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a Good Job, December 4, 2008
I've only used these clippers twice, but both times the end result looked pretty good. My test subject was my husband and although the cut was shorter than what he was used too, he eventually liked it (after he got over the initial shock at seeing so much of his hair in the garbage can). I used the biggest cutter attachment hoping it would not cut it so short, but it did anyway. I can only speculate that if I used the smallest cutter attachment he would've had a buzz cut. Also, the cord is several feet long so you're not stuck having to to use the clippers while standing right next to the wall outlet.

It cut very smoothly and evenly the back and sides though I took it gingerly on the top (not quite as much hair growing there). When I used it without any attachments it did superbly in giving a very straight cut on his sideburns and shaved his neck fairly well of wild hair growth. (Sounds lovely doesn't it?!) I had to empty it several times during both cuts, especially the first cut since his hair was a lot longer, but I just kept the kitchen garbage can nearby and it was very easy to empty the clipper vacuum compartment. The clippers also felt good to hold and I was able to move it easily through his rather course hair. The directions on how to cut hair didn't tell me how to do the top of his head, only the back and sides. I just had to kind of wing-it there.

I can't say that the haircuts looked super professional, but I think he looked fine. Sure beats the heck out of paying $12 dollars plus tip for a cut each month.

UPDATE: May 6, 2009
I have used this haircut kit many times now on my husband and it gets easier and faster to use. The cuts are really looking expensive now! Just don't push it through the hair too fast since it will yank it and the haircut recipient will holler, "OUCH!". Also, just for the heck of it, I tried it on my dog to no avail. She's and Eskimo Spitz with a thick undercoat and I was hoping I could shave her myself and save $$ but the clippers wouldn't even budge a micron through it. So, it's not good for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaver shaves!, April 13, 2008
This shaver works very well, cuts rapidly and evenly, needs no oiling as some others do, cleans easily, and retains the hair in the vacuum receptacle which is easy to empty. The only drawback I have with it, and would have appreciated knowing up front, is that the deepest guide is only one inch, so if you want something longer - oh well. Also, if you want to return it - it will end up costing you nearly as much as the kit (no postage refund, you have to pay shipping back and 25% restock fee) so it's not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea & Design - But Somewhat Fragile, July 8, 2006
The on-board vacuum works great and saves me having to get our upright out to clean up. The only thing that I wish were different was that it was made better. The unit is all plastic and won't endure a drop on a hard floor very well so be careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, September 10, 2006
JK (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I have been married for 8 years with 5-year-old son. During my married life, I've been cutting trimming my husband's hair about every 3 weeks. Although I'm not a professional, my husband loves getting haircut from me and my son also picked it up from his dad. I have gone through at least 5 or 6 clippers during last 8 years, and I would say with all my heart, that this is the best clipper for the price range.

Of course I have no experience with 300 bucks professional equipment. But the kinds that you would use at home, the ones under 50 bucks, I would say, this is absolutely the best. I have been happily using the current one I purchased over a year ago although I've noticed weakening of the sucktion recently. Since the delivery took quiet awhile last time, I wanted place my order for a replacement before I would face some real problem. (between my husband and my son, I do haircut about every week.)

The best part, of course, is the vacuum function. At first by its fragile look and light weight, I couldn't really trust how it would suck in the hair. The result was amazing, though. The person below complained about this machine not picking up fine hair. I guess my husband and son have a little thicker hair, anyway, I thought it worked wonderfully. From many years of hair cutting, I'm equiped with floor mat, cape and big brush. Since I started using this one, I didn't have to use any of them. I used to be a little bit reluctant to give my son a haircut with all the mess it would creat, but now I can even give him quick trim while he is standing by the sink, without creating any mess!

Another amazing part is the titanium coating. For somebody like me who accepted the fact of haircutting... that when you finally clean up the floor, you are not done, you still have to clean your clippers thoroughly with little tiny brushes and oil them!... it was also amazing that this machine would not require oil. It just keeps going and the blades have survived the longest time among all the clippers I've used.

I had to replace my clippers since the blades start getting dull after about one year of use. (maybe my husband does have thick hair!) And replacing blades is as expensive as getting a new one. I haven't had any problem with blades so far. The only reason I'm thinking to get a replacement is spilling of bits of hair. Yes, I'm getting spoiled.

My only complaint is though, with vacuum and everything, it is the loudest clippers I've ever used. It is so noisy that when I'm trimming around the years, I have to block their hair with one hand to protect their ear drums. :) Still the convenience is worth ignoring the noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington Precision Vacuum Haircut kit, September 25, 2005
I have purchased 3 previous haircut kits and none compare to this one. This is the greatest purchase I have made in along time. No mess no cleanup. Super product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington HKVAC-200 Precision Vac haircut Kit, August 2, 2005
This is the nicest haircutting unit I have used. It works more accurately than those other vacuum units on the market, and is quieter and cleaner than other clippers. For those of you who cut your own hair, or the hair of your family members, this is a must for your home.

Rate and Discover Movies