Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on February 6, 2012
I purchased the trimmer about three months ago and use it every 5-7 days to trim my beard down low. I liked the feel of the device, and also the power settings. I was also excited about being able to travel with the trimmer and just charge it from my laptop without needing to carry yet another charger cable and plug.

However, the trimmer has two major flaws:

1. Very poor battery life. To clarify, after just a few short months the trimmer will not hold enough charge to perform a single shave of a few days beard growth. The device says the the battery is full when started but I imagine that it is not holding more than 20% of its original capacity.

2. Difficult to clean. The trimmer guard can be removed with a little force but obviously is not designed to be. Unfortunately, that is by far the easiest way to clean it, otherwise hair gets caught between the guard and the blades fairly quickly and is difficult to remove.

Overall, I'm not impressed with this trimmer and will be looking for a replacement.
on January 5, 2012
I had a bad feeling about all the initial reviews of this thing. Not here on Amazon, but all the blogs and men's magazines. The reviews all seemed far more like hype than reviews. It seemed like people were given a free product in exchange for a rushed, positive review. I waited a few weeks and bought one anyway. That was a mistake.

This product has four main flaws. I'll list them in order of least annoying to product breaking:
1) The touch controls are too sensitive. Sure, there's no good reason why you need 1.0 over 1.1, but good luck getting it. 0.9. 1.1. 0.8. 1.4. Jumps of 0.1 are difficult. Perhaps physical buttons would have been better than touch buttons, but that's less buzzworthy, right?

2) There's no way to wake the device up other than turning it on. So if you last shaved at a 1.0, but today just want to trim the sideburns, you need to turn it on, turn it off, unlock it, change the height, relock it, turn it back on. Unlocking it doesn't wake the buttons up. For this reason they let you power it up when unlocked. Guaranteed you'll use it while unlocked at least once and end up with a strip of your face shaved down to 0.4 before you realize. This thing should wake when unlocked and should not be able to operate while unlocked.

3) The guard isn't removable, so it's difficult/impossible to clean.

4) The real killer: the battery is awful. There was only one review here on Amazon badmouthing the battery when I bought it. I figured it was a fluke. It was not. The first time I charged this it worked quite well. The second time I charged it it seemed to die a bit quicker and snagged by facial hair as it did so. The next time I used the thing it died again. That was Monday. I charged it that day. I unplugged it when it said full battery. It did not turn on this morning. Worse, it takes about 5 minutes from being plugged in until you can use it, meaning it takes some charge. If you're in a rush too bad.

I like this product well enough, as points 1-3 don't bug me too much. But without a battery that actually works this is a horrible, overpriced device. My mother actually gave me a $10 beard trimmer for Christmas, which I returned as I had bought this a few weeks earlier. That $10 trimmer has far better reviews here on Amazon.

As I have long since thrown out the packing materials I am not sure I can return this to Amazon, but this is certainly going back somewhere. Remington, how could you put your name on this and call this your top of the line product? What brand manager said "hey, this is good enough, rather than better engineer I'll just ship out free ones to be reviewed a few weeks before we ship." Fire the guy. This razor was clearly designed to look cool, sound cool in text and be easy to hype. Usability and functionality was clearly not a priority. The focus was on getting people to buy it, not on making them enjoy using it. When companies focus on this they get a nice short term bump and then a steep fall off a cliff.
I'd never purchased a Remington product before. If this is their flagship, well, I never will again. Nor will anyone I talk to. I'm really that angry about how strong the initial campaign for this product was versus how terrible it is to use. If half the thought went into its design...
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The video pretty much says it all. Decent shaver, it works well for me, I have used it for months on a trial basis as my primary beard and mustache trimmer with no problems with its core functionality. The quirks that Remington's marketing department put into the device (touch controls, and a USB charging port) are minor irritations -- but they are indeed irritations.

3 stars.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2011
The trimmer itself does a good job but the battery is very poor. Even after a complete full charge, I can't trim my gottee before the battery runs out. I have gone through the full charge and try to do a trim at least 5 times and have never made it yet. Remmington has a policy of not taking anything back unless it has not been taken out of the package and used. How am I supposed to find out if it works without taking it out of the package? This is the second Remmington product I have purchased over the years and both have been very poor. No more Remmington for me!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Run like the wind. This is the worst trimmer ever. It doesn't hold the charge well and that makes for a painful experience. Take it from my experience...you can do so much better. I recommend the Wahl 9918-6171 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer instead.
on December 19, 2011
I can vouch for the low-star reviews here. This product should not be available as it simply does not work. It is aesthetically pleasing and feels sturdy, but those are the only positive experience I have had with the beard trimmer. There are three assignments for the touch controls: Up arrow, Down arrow, and a circular symbol which changes the speed of the blade. Good luck trying to figure out where to press. I found the trimmer absolutely unresponsive and had to press random points located on the trimmer to actually get it to work. When you do find these pressure spots, it is impossible to get the exact increment in length for the trimmer. For instance, starting from 2.0mm, if i wanted the desired length to be 3.2mm, it would always miss that exact increment and go over to say, 3.4mm. The same problem would occur going down as well. This product cannot hold a charge either. There is no point of trying to be progressive and including a USB charger if it dies almost immediately. Great idea, but it is overshadowed by the fact that nothing works correctly. I find it extremely suspicious this product received positive reviews.
on January 27, 2012
I ordered this product in November of 2011.I use to trim my beard and moustache.It will not hold a charge so you have to use with the cord.It cuts ok but the height and speed controls are touch screen and do not work well.I would not reccomend purchasing this razor!
on February 9, 2012
While I did not purchase this product from Amazon.com, I did purchase this product and promptly returned it the following day to the store of purchase. The device worked great after the first charge. After that the display started going haywire, the lock and unlock display was switching from locked to unlocked and back very rapidly and the power charging indicator starting indicating that the device was charging when it was not plugged in. The device started emitting a high pitched squealing sound that I could not get to stop. The device would not turn off using the power button. I followed the instructions in the manual that said to reset the device, hold the power button for 8 seconds, then press the power button once and it will reset itself. However, none of these steps worked. I had to put the razor under a bowl (so I wouldn't hear it as much) and let it scream while the battery died. Once the battery died, the device would no longer turn on or indicate that it was charging once plugged in to charge. It is officially dead less than 1 hour after opening it from the box. I will be purchasing something with higher quality components.
on February 8, 2012
This product is exactly what the title indicates. The adjustment positions on the face of the trimmer are no where near the actual touch adjustments. If I could have rated this with a zero or negative, I would have.
on January 6, 2013
For years I used the Remington MB200, a simple beard trimmer with no fancy electronics. It worked well enough, and I still use it ocassionally. But recently I wanted a new trimmer for 2 reasons:

1) I like my beard to be a light stubble, so I needed more precise length settings
2) I travel a lot, so I wanted to be able to charge over USB

Since there are only a handful of beard trimmers that charge over USB, I bought the MB4550 despite all the terrible reviews. And I'm still paying for it. The reviews were right, folks. Avoid this thing at all costs.

First off, the Touch Control feature is a gimmick, and a terrible one at that. The touch buttons work about 50% of the time, and good luck getting the exact length you want. What was wrong with physical buttons?

Second, the battery is worthless. Like other reviewers, I experienced a battery life of just a few days if I don't charge this thing, and even then it doesn't last very long.

Third, the plastic guard that adjusts to your length not only feels flimsy and cheap, but it sticks to your face as you try and shave. You either end up stabbing yourself with the plastic ends or messing up your shave in the process.

Read all the reviews, and stay away from this piece of high-tech garbage.