VINE VOICEon July 13, 2005
I bought this shaver for $39.99 from Amazon. I wanted an inexpensive, relatively small shaver to take on trips and serve as a backup for my Norelco Spectra rotary shaver. I would estimate the extent and thickness of my beard to be average.

First off, one has to be fair when comparing this shaver with other electric shavers. It is not going to have features and/or perform like shavers costing 3-4 times as much (like my Spectra), and it is not reasonable to expect it to do so. Other reviewers have criticized this shaver for lacking features and close shaves, but you get what you pay for.

I have used this shaver inbetween uses of my Spectra mainly for comparison purposes. It is a noisy shaver compared with the Spectra. It shaves almost as closely but not quite. The closest, most comfortable shave is achieved if you use the recommended shaving talc before shaving. The trimmer actually trims better than my Spectra. Battery life is quite good. I have gone weeks without recharging (although I have not used it every day). I have not had any problem with facial cuts reported by others. I also have not had problems with holes in the foil. I suspect the people who have had problems with cuts in their face and holes in the foil have tried to press the shaver too hard against their face while shaving (the manual clearly states to press the shaver gently against the face until all 3 cutting heads make contact). The shaver is easy to clean with either a brush or running water (I usually just brush it clean).

The obvious drawback to this shaver, mentioned by others, is you cannot use the shaver while it charges. You also get no warning when the charge will run out. One moment it runs fine, seconds later it's dead. So it pays to charge regularly once you figure out the battery life.

Another odd thing about this shaver is it leaves a black residue on my face after shaving. It is not noticeable unless you happen to clean your face with an alcohol wipe after shaving. I have never had any other shaver do that.

Is this shaver a good value? For $39.99, absolutely yes. Does it give a close shave? Yes. Does it shave as close as a blade or a Norelco Spectra? No. If you expect that, spend the $150 to buy a better shaver. However, I've never found an electric razor that shaves as close as a blade. So be realistic. For basic shaving needs or, as in my case, a backup/travel razor this Remingon shaver can't be beat for the money spent.
on May 3, 2005
The Remington MS3-1700 falls shorts of being a superb razor. The manual states that your face may take up to 2 weeks to become "used" to the new shaver. After having this razor for over a year now I must admit that my face is anything but used to the razor. However, that is not to say that the razor isn't completely useless.

Positives:

- The blades don't pull at the hairs like other razors tend to

- The positioning of the blades and the trimmer works well for thicker facial hair

- The trimmer by itself is useful for cutting longer hairs in preparation for a closer shave or as a beard trimmer (why have two electronics when one will do)

- With regular blade changes the razor can provide decently close shaves (nothing beats a straight edge though)

Negatives

- Limited battery (I could never get more than two shaves off one charge)

- The razor won't shave when plugged in (I'm still uncertain how this design ever passed... it just doesn't make sense)

- The razor doesn't give the best shaves (there are better other cordless shavers on the market)

- The razor simply can't shave longer hairs as they won't slip into the screen (the trimmer helps this problem but the combination of trimmer and screen can leave you with painful razor burn)

All in all, the Remington has one big selling point and that is its low cost. However, the entire point of an electric razor is to give a convenient and close shave and this razor simply doesn't provide that if you have a thick beard or let your hairs get to long. If you're just looking for a cheap decent razor to get you by on a trip then this works perfectly. However, for men looking for a razor to use consistently to stay groomed I would suggest looking elsewhere.
on April 27, 2005
Don't be misled like I was on this shaver. The only titanium on it is a titanium coating on the pop-up trimmer -- there's no titanium on the shaver's foil cutters. The trimmer is supposed to work in combination with the cutters. Per the manual, "Your new Remington shaver provides a close, comfortable shave on your entire face, even on the tough spots like your neck and chin. Simply engage the special Titanium-coated trimmer blades so they are aligned with the shaver foils." Excuse me? If I wanted to shave my face with an electric trimmer, I'd use my haircutting trimmer. And shaving with a trimmer ain't exactly "comfortable". The shaver does a POOR job without using the trimmer in combination with the foil. Shaving with the foil alone leaves lots of long hairs that just wont enter the screen no matter how many passes I make, unlike _orelco products. Had I known this from the start I'd have just bought another _orelco.

Further, the MS3-1700 IS NOT worldwide voltage, regarless of what amazon says. It is a single votage model (120 VAC, 60Hz), again per the manual. Finally, the cordless only feature mentioned elsewhere is a hassle. If you run out of juice on the battery halfway through a shave your out of luck since it will not run off of the cord.

With all that said, by using the trimmer/foil combo technique suggested, this shaver does give a nice close shave, perhaps even closer than the _orelco. And if you don't like it, Remington has a supposed 30 day money back guarantee.

Even with all it's drawbacks, I'm still satisfied with it and will probably keep it. The price sure is right.
on August 12, 2005
I had been using Braun electric shavers since college and had been happy with them. It was time to replace one and I stumbled upon the Remington for a great price. It looked similar to the Braun shavers that I had so much luck with so I bought it.

Let's just say that I replaced this Remington less than a year after buying it. Not because it broke, or needed repair. More because it was just not very good. It routinely missed hairs on my neck and along the lower jaw bone. The trimmer part was aweful, often times cutting me.

I've replaced it with a new Braun and have re-discovered why I switched to electric razors in the first place!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had a lot of luck with Remington in the past, so I stuck with them when I could not obtain replacement cutters for my XLR-810.

The biggest problem with this shaver has already been mentioned - you can't shave while it's plugged in. I really dislike the rechargeables because the battery dies after about 5-6 years, and it cannot be replaced.

Another problem is the shape of the actual unit. I have relatively large hands and find this shaver to be a little small. It's slick, tapered body makes it difficult to hold. It has a tendency to "squirt" upward out of my hand, and as a result I've nearly dropped it on a few occasions. Remington (Rayovac) - please go back to your old square designs!

Other than those flaws, this shaver is quite good.
1. The trimmer is in the right place, directly alongside the foils, instead of popping out of the middle of the unit, like the poor Braun designs.
2. I have a very strong jaw line and find that this shaver does a decent job of getting the whiskers in the difficult places.
3.The charge is supposed to last 60 minutes, but I have found that it lasts a fair bit longer, although, the speed of the cutters slows considerably.
4. And, being able to wash the cutters with water after each use is very practical.

Overall, I recommend it to anyone who doesn't care that it is essentially disposable.
on September 23, 2007
I've owned dozens of Remington shavers over the years and this model was the best operating one I've had. Its motor runs fast and it gives a clean and close cut with its full triple-header shave.

My last #1700 broke (I'm reviewing my second of the same model here) and I purchased the supposed upgrade a MS-5200 (see my review on that here at Amazon) and was really unhappy. I ended up searching out this model again and am as pleased with the second one as the first.

My only concern might be with the reliability of the shaver as my first one only lasted 3 years before it broke internally. The cost to have it repaired was more than purchasing a new one.
on June 21, 2005
I have had an electric Remington shaver in the past, and I though that this triple microscreen would be better than my single larger, microscreen. I was wrong. This model does not shave my beard as well as the single. I have to stretch my skin a lot to get a close shave. In fact, I have found that I have to go over my skin with a hand razor to catch all the small spots.

Also, its quite loud. Its noisier than my single screen model. I got a great deal on this shaver, but I do not think I would recommend it to anyone.
on March 30, 2005
I already had this shaver and unfortunately left it in a hotel room in Orlando. I came to Amazon to replace it and am pleasently surprised to see that it is $35 less on Amazon than I paid for it previously. I am thinking about buying 2 in case I lose it again. The world wide voltage is a real plus.
on September 29, 2005
I paid $59 at Rite Aid on sale. It is the loudest razer I have ever owned! The past 2 Remington's I have owned for about the same price were much better.

The shave is OK, but the light is only green. It does not give a low battery warning, it died last week mid shave. You plug it in and the light is green, no indication if it is charging or not. The side burn trimmer does not extend when you push the button, you have to nudge it up.

As a basic shaver it works OK, but I am not impressed at all. I wish I had kept my old one and had it repaired.
on April 12, 2005
My only complaint about this shaver is that it doesn't work when plugged in to the power/while recharging. If you drain the battery and need to shave, you have to wait for it to recharge.

It's got a nice popup trimmer that you can use along with the blades to pre-cut any long hairs before going into the blades.

The included pleather pouch is a bit small to hold the razor and charging cable. Includes a little brush too.

Overall - I give it 4 stars for the price and only because Amazon has them for $40 including shipping.