Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on September 15, 2005
I am on my third Remington Hedge Wizard. All of them have either fell apart after one use or the internal cam mechanism skips when anything bigger than a pencil is cut. The idea is a good one but the design is horrendous. Whoever designed this thing should be fired today! I called the manufacturer and they were very sympathetic and promised me a "good one". The guy on the phone was extremely nice and helpfull even though I was upset. Good service from that standpoint but I do not think that good service can fix the design screw ups. The plastic housing is weak, the pivot stop is weak, the handle is not ergonomically friendly. It is also clunky. One of my units got hot and started smoking after a few minutes. I opened up the blade cover and saw that the plastic had melted.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2005
I should have listened to the other reviews. This is a good idea but it's not tough enough for a large shrub. This trimmer is intended to be used on large shrubs but the first time it caught on a large branch the blade jumped off the cam. I opened the case and took off the cam cover as the manual describes for changing the blades. Unfortunately the self-securing bolts don't self secure and I could not get the nuts back on tightly. After that, the unit wouldn't cut well at all. It seems that these parts are designed to be replaced once they are removed. It's not a good design if you have to replace the blades every time it catches on a large branch.
on October 4, 2004
This would have been a ZERO star if available. I bought this at Home Depot and it broke after 1 day. I even bought the additional one year replacement warranty. I was only trimming light bushes. Returned the unit the next day for a full refund. I'm going back to my Black and Decker Hedgehog. That thing cuts through almost anything and is very well built.
on September 9, 2005
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!!! If any engineers actually participated in the design and development of this thing, they should be sued for malpractice! Remington should be ashamed of themselves for foisting this thing on an unsuspecting public!

It's a nice idea conceptually, but it is so fragile it is worthless. It seemed like just the thing I needed for my 12 foot holly hedge, so I bought one last fall and used it. The head tilt control mechanism broke almost immediately, and the head just flopped around after that. I took it back to Home Depot, where I bought it (within the week) and they gave me a new one. Well, I didn't get aroung to trimming the hedge again until this week, and I was very careful to not stress the tilt mechanism. But the trimmer kept stalling on twigs considerably under the maximum size stated in the manual. It finally quit on me completely, and when I examined it, something was rattling around in the motor, the bottom plate was about to come off, and the plastic housing was cracked! Believe me - I was very careful not to cut anything that was anywhere near the capacity of the thing, and I was careful not to hit it or twist it. It just doesn't have the power the manufacturer claims and it is poorly made.

Kudos to Home Depot - When I took it back to them (with coplies of the other reviews on this site) they gave me store credit. Their policy is to only repair items that are within warranty but were purchased more than 30 days before returning.
on August 30, 2005
This tool is a flimsy piece of overpriced junk!

I purchased the Remington Hedge Wizard in July of 2005 at my local home improvement superstore. Right out of the box the tool felt flimsy and light duty at best. I don't have lots of hedge to trim so I assumed that the it would handle my limited use. It worked well the first time even though the trigger and lock mechanism are a little clunky and not very user friendly. Only very thin branches were cut on the first use and all seemed well. I put the tool away in my garage for five weeks and pulled it out to trim the same hedge again just moments ago (August 30). Needless to say the hedge limbs are even thinner than last time. The trimmer worked well for about two minutes then dropped to about quarter speed after a nasty little clunk followed by smoke and a burning smell. The motor turns and the blades move very slowly but no power at all. I now have three feet of cut hedge and a trimmer that won't cut a grass blade without sending up smoke signals. This tool is GARBAGE! It felt like garbage out of the box and I should've followed my gut and returned it. It's no wonder the home center had it bolted and strapped to the shelf. had I known how flimsy it felt when you pick it up, I would have never purchased it. Save your $99 on this waste of time.
on March 15, 2005
I used it in the fall of last year and noticed something wrong just as I finished the trimming project. I stored it determined to figure out the problem next time I used it. Well the inside of the case was shattered (plastic everywhere) which supports the swivel, so it was not usable. I called the company and the company said take it back to Home Depot. Great customer service following the near twenty minute wait on hold. Get another brand besides this one or risk facing similar problems. The internals of this thing was plastic where better design IS necessary.
on July 20, 2005
Very poor quality.

I used this trimmer only twice. The swivel hinge became loose and was not holding the angle position and the motor blew after getting jammed on a not-very-thick branch.

I returned it immediately.
on July 8, 2005
The concept is great; it does allow you to reach difficult spots. However, the housing is constructed of cheap plastic. After two uses, the lock on the swivel head broke. I'm having a rough time finding replacement parts. Save your money. This piece of equipment, and the service provided by the manufacturer, are abysmal.
on June 2, 2005
My girlfriend got one of these for Christmas. After using it for about an hour, the swivel function would not lock in place, rendering it useless. There were obviously parts rattling around inside the unit. I opened the housing to see if I could fix it, and a bunch of plastic parts fell out. The thing is held together with metal screws that go into plastic pieces with metal threaded inserts. Half of the screws holding the thing together had snapped their cheap plastic posts.

I've never seen such a badly engineered "power tool" in my life.

Thankfully Home Depot took the unit back with NO hassles.

Thanks to this one product, I'll never buy a "power tool" with the Remington name on it again.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!
on May 9, 2005
The friction locking pin BROKE the first time I used it..now the cutting blade will not lock in place...A useless piece of junk.

See 1 answered question