5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value spotlight and emergency light, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Remington RMSP-B Spotlight, 3W, LED (Tools & Home Improvement)
Updated November 2011: I own seven different high intensity LED flashlights and this ties with the new Mag-lite as my favorite. This Remington is the same as the Black and Decker model and until recently I could only find them at Walmart (for 19 dollars), but some folks have recently sold them on Amazon.

A huge advantage this one has over the other lights is that it lasts 78 hours on the 40 lumens setting! With the exception of the large Dorcy spotlight and Mag-lite, the others will not even make it through a long night. This makes it a tremendous emergency light or camping trip light. The 40 lumens are still much brighter than any traditional two d-cell flashlight and plenty bright for all but long spotlight needs, for which you use the 130 lumen setting which is rated at a still generous 20 hours.

Even with four C-cells it is reasonably compact, if ugly, and will fit in larger coat pockets. It will illuminate a person well enough to identify them out to about 350-400 feet. It has good spill light to illuminate up close surroundings. The beam is very solid without a lot of breakup.

Here are the other lights I own and you might consider as well if they meet your needs. Shined against my metal pole barn at about 100 feet and the woods at about 300 feet, there is very little difference in the first four on this list. The brightest at the center of the beams, in order are:

1) Dorcy 41-4296 160 Lumen LED Spotlight with Batteries

tied 2a) This new 131 lumen Mag-lite 3 D-cell Mag-Lite ST3D016 3-D Cell LED Flashlight, Black

tied 2b)Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen High Flux LED Cyber Light Flashlight with Batteries

4)Remington RMSP-B Spotlight, 3W, LED same light as Black and Decker LED Spotlight 130 Lumens

5) Dorcy 41-1467 220 Lumen Super Flux LED Submersible Dive Light

6) Coleman Max Bubba

7) Rayovac RNT3AAA-B Roughneck 200 Lumen Metal Flashlight with Batteries and Holster

8) Old technology Mag-lite (not even in the game it was so dim in comparison

All but numbers 6, 7 and 8 on the list are great flash lights. Note that the Dorcy Dive light cast a beam about twice as wide as the others at 100 feet and is more useful inside of that distance. The Dorcy spotlight on the other hand is more tightly focused than the others limiting its use a bit. The small yellow Dorcy 41-4750 is great, but it's battery life is too short to recommend it as it dims noticeably after about three hours of use.

Final verdict is razor close . . . The Black and Decker/Remington spotlight is more compact, lighter and fits in my coat pockets so it is more convenient. But the aluminum case and moderate focus ability of the Mag-lite is a plus for it. They both are useful spotlights to well to over 300 feet. I'm keeping both and calling it a tie between those two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Spot Light, January 24, 2012
This little spotlight is super bright and easy to handle. Anyone who has had to hold one of those rechargeable ones knows how quickly they can fatigue your wrist and arm, this one is much easier to store and carry and works off of "c" batteries. It also seemed to shine farther than the similar one that is made by black and decker. In short I am very pleased with my purchase as are ll the me in my family that I bought one for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, very bright, great for varmint hunting, December 28, 2011
We have a lot of coyotes around the area where we live and they take a huge toll not only on our animals, but also on the deer and other wildlife populations. As a result, I do my part to keep their numbers in check. After having tried other lights for the job of illuminating them at night (which is legal to do here), I found this light and bought it for $20 hoping it would prove to be a better solution than what I've previously used. Boy, is it ever! Two days ago I shone one at about 125 yards and dispatched him, then again this morning before daylight I lit one up at 153 yards and he never moved a muscle after the shot. This light is the best bang for the buck (please excuse the pun) and so far the battery life is great. It's definitely not a beauty queen, but it is quite compact for a spotlight and it definitely does the job for which I bought it.

Remington RMSP-B Spotlight, 3W, LED